USA Politics

This is just a high-level overview - Mexico has a long history of almost making it to being the third North American economic power, and then having something happen to them (or be done to them) that knocks them off that path. As always in life, it's not an easy answer.

The other point to make is that only about half of illegal immigrants in the USA come from Mexico. Many more come from other Latin American countries that are far worse off than Mexico, and almost a quarter of the total come from Asian countries. Just another reason why a wall won't do crap.

That is all so very true LC. And the money that is going to be spent on the wall could be spent on so many other improvements that really need to be made.

Well, Travis - I can appreciate that some Americans want to decrease illegal immigration. I really, really can. But Trump's wall is an answer to a problem that doesn't exist. People don't sneak across the border in any appreciable amounts - and in the places where they were doing that, a fence already exists. Most illegal immigrants enter the USA legally on a visitor visa, and then never leave once the visa expires.

Walls just don't make sense in our world. It's a child's answer to an adult's problem.

I really do not think that is true .. certainly not the most part
A significant amount, then. I am not sure really - I suspect many of the Asian illegals are brought in by ship in human trafficking rings, but who knows.

What do they do, once they lose legal status, or if they never had it in the first place?
You don't have papers, you probably won't be able to even get a plane or a train ticket, let alone get proper employment and such.

These people live, sleep and work somewhere, can't USA authority crack down on whoever is providing for them, or realistically, abusing and exploiting them?

There was a documentary years ago about an African guy that came illegally into Croatia to play football. He was probably screwed for papers or something alike. Anyways he played for 3rd league team, lived in poverty with pity cash you get for playing Croatia 3rd league football. 2nd league is the beginning of the pro level, so when his club advanced, somebody saw that he has no documents, so he got arrested and taken to official refugee shelter camp. Don't know what happened, anyways I'd figure USA has similar mechanisms as Europe. What freedoms do illegal aliens enjoy in USA so much that it's that attractive, when you're in deep shit if you ever get into ID check is beyond me...

What do they do, once they lose legal status, or if they never had it in the first place?
You don't have papers, you probably won't be able to even get a plane or a train ticket, let alone get proper employment and such.

They generally get improper employment

Are there types of employment that don't require employer to keep records of a certain employee whatsoever, or we're talking completely illegal sweatshops?

Just dropping in a '2 cents' thought, but I think there are a lot of Ag industry jobs that employees get paid in cash. The farmer pays cash to someone, at a lower wage-- but doesn't have to pay any insurance or Social Secuity/Taxes for the employee, so costs stay down and every one in that circle is happy.

Thats just one way they can be employed. I believe that there were several construction jobs available in the same fashion.

Are there types of employment that don't require employer to keep records of a certain employee whatsoever, or we're talking completely illegal sweatshops?

Legally .. there are not types of employment that do not require proof of proper legal status to work in the US (you fill out an I-9 form).

Some employers do not do that, some people have forged documents, then there is stuff like day labor and other short term work where those hiring really do not care, they are just looking for cheap labor for a quick job.

Edit .. then there may be those that have legal status when they start a job, lose that status and I do not think there is a way for the employers to know that status was lost.

There's also employers who hire illegals under false identities - often times helping them obtain the false identities - and then pay taxes on them, but pay the actual employee much less than their paper wage. It's rarer, but it does happen.

Most earn cash.

I'm wondering, do you have to have a EIN/SSN in order to be a 1099 employee? As in a contract employee? I'm not sure how that works.

Ok, that makes sense. Do you know if an employer has to verify that authenticity of and EIN/SSN before paying for the work? I can see a fake EIN/SSN as an easy work around.

Ok, that makes sense. Do you know if an employer has to verify that authenticity of and EIN/SSN before paying for the work? I can see a fake EIN/SSN as an easy work around.

For sure ... it is there really more for taxes than for checking immigration status. I believe they just have to have it on file (again for taxes)

Nearly half of Canadian adults believe the nation should ramp up deportations of those who have illegally crossed its border, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll out Monday.

Forty-six percent said they opposed Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's handling of increased numbers of undocumented immigrants crossing into Canada through the U.S., while only 37 percent supported his decision and 17 percent did not state an opinion. Forty-eight percent said they were in favor of ramping up deportations of those who entered the country illegally.

That signals a stark increase from a separate Ipsos poll in January, which found that 59 percent supported Trudeau's policies, and 41 percent disagreed.

The poll's findings come as Canada faces an influx of undocumented immigrants from Mexico, who are leaving the U.S. amid fears of President Trump's long-promised crackdown on illegal immigration.
Between Jan. 1 and March 8, Canadian border authorities detained 444 Mexican nationals crossing into the country, according to an analysis by Reuters, surpassing the annual totals of 2014, 2015 and 2016.

About 41 percent of Canadians surveyed said the increased border crossings made Canada less safe, while slightly more, 46 percent, said the surge had no effect on security.

The poll shows a growing divide among Canadians, who have long shared support for high immigration levels. Among those most supportive of increasing deportations were men, older people with higher incomes and adults without college degrees.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll surveyed 1,001 people 18 years or older online in both English and French.

Certainly possible - but I'd be cautious of the methodology of that poll. Ipsos's online stuff doesn't have the best reputation right now (they have gotten several high-profile races very wrong). Still, this doesn't surprise me. Many Canadians feel very similar about Mexican immigrants as our southern neighbours.

Very entertaining week watching the Republicans embarrass themselves. Is there any benefit to keeping Trump around at this point? Not rhetorical.

Back