Best Song/Album of 2016

Ariana

Black-and-white leopard
Just one day before 2016 officially throws in the towel and quits reaping celebrities, I invite you to think back over the past 12 months and pick your favourite songs and albums.

Post your suggestions for the best songs and albums of the year here and see if you would be willing to second/endorse other members' suggestions. We will pick the most supported ones and have a poll to determine the winners.

Each member can nominate up to 3 songs and 3 albums.

Nice.

songs:
1) Buckethead - Oneiric Pool Part 7 (Click here to listen, or listen here (see spoilers)), from Oneiric Pool, released on October 27th. Length: 5:58
2) Buckethead - Sparks in the Dark (Click here to listen, or listen here (see spoiler)), from Sparks in the Dark, released on December 9th. Length: 5:30
3) Buckethead - A Long Days Walk (Click here to listen, or listen here (see spoiler)), from Sparks in the Dark, released on December 9th. Length: 9:26

albums:
1) Buckethead - Oneiric Pool (Click here to listen, or listen here (see spoiler)), released on October 27th. Length: 28:47
2) Buckethead - Buildor (Click here to listen or listen here (see spoiler)), released on January 23rd. Length: 28:30
3) Metallica - Hardwired... to Self-Destruct, released on November 18th.

Last edited:
This won't be hard. According to my iTunes, I have only bought two albums released in 2016.
Maybe this thread can correct that.

I give you the first singles from mediocre albums from a pair of bands I like a lot, but didn't blow me away with their latest

I'm going to post my top ten in the other 2016 thread soon, will copy that list over here.

Favorite songs that aren't in my top ten albums:

Abbath - Winter Bane, Count the Dead
Amon Amarth - First Kill, Raise Your Horns
Metallica - Atlas Rise, Spit Out the Bone
Opeth - Chrysalis, Era
Quilt - Hissing My Plea, Roller
Frost - Towerblock
Krallice - Hyperion

The only new albums I heard this year were the new releases of favorite bands, so I'm very limited here.

Albums

Metallica - Hardwired...to Self-Destruct
Opeth - Sorceress
Taksim Trio - Ahi

Songs

Metallica - Dream No More
Opeth - Era
Taksim Trio - Leylifer

I don't expect the Taksim Trio stuff to get seconded obviously, but that's my hail mary attempt at bringing variety. :D

Albums
Moonsorrow - Jumaiten Alka
Alter Bridge - The Last Hero
I'm still torn on the third one. It would be either Sword Songs by Grand Magus or The Dark Hereafter by Winterfylleth. I'll try to make up my mind in the next few days.

Songs
Alter Bridge - Writing on the Wall
Grand Magus - Every Day There's a Battle to Fight
Firewind - Ode to Leonidas

Albums:
Anthrax - For All Kings
Killswitch Engage - Incarnate
Delain - Moonbathers

Songs:
Anthrax - Breathing Lightning
Delain - Danse Macabre
Alter Bridge - Poison in Your Veins

This is pretty much what I've already said (& posted) in the Best New Music of 2016 thread. Admittedly I haven't bought or listened to that many albums actually releases this year, but I doubt very much they would get even close to any of the following...

Albums
Buildor (Pike #224) ~ Buckethead
The Five Blocks (Pike #237) ~ Buckethead
Heavy. Deep. Sad. Ironic ~ Artificial Waves

Songs
Buildor part 1 (Pike #224) ~ Buckethead
Drift (Pike #231) ~ Buckethead
Inspiring Insomnia ~ Artificial Waves

I haven't listened to a lot of new music this year, but I'll nominate Dystopia by Megadeth for best album since no one else has yet.

Not really a ton this year that I thought was great, but I did enjoy

Metallica .. Hardwired
Purson .. Desire's Magic Theater

... really not that much. A lot of other albums I liked or thought were good, but not a ton really stuck out as being top notch. 2017 looks like it will be better

Not much 2016 music has really stuck for me.

Albums:
Gojira - Magma
Be'Lakor - Vessels

I also feel obliged to nominate Sabaton - The Last Stand, partly because I enjoyed the hell out of it and partly because Sabaton always ignites a love/hate response and it's entertaining :D

Songs:
Gojira - Silvera
Be'Lakor - Roots to Sever
Metallica - Moth Into Flame

I'd second Forostar and The Flash's nomination of Metallica - Hardwired...to Self-Destruct for albums, and Mosh's nominations of Abbath - Winterbane, and Amon Amarth - First Kill, for songs.

As indicated in the other thread, I would second/support the nomination of Hardwired and Sorceress, as well as the Alter Bridge album, which I only just started listening to based on that thread. I'd second/support the nominations of Moth Into Flame, Chrysalis and Era for best song.

As indicated in the other thread, my other top albums (in addition to Hardwired and Sorceress) were non-metal offerings, Puberty 2 by Mitski (my fave album of 2016) and My Woman by Angel Olsen. I don't expect those to do well here, but they are really good and, fuck it, I'll nominate them.

Songs:
Your Best American Girl - Mitski
starts slow, then builds and gets pretty rockin' at 2:12

Spring 1974 - Opeth
(no YouTube video available)

and, just for fun, I'll nominate

1985 - Kvelertak

Last edited:
You guys really need to check out some lesser known bands, only thing Hardwired has going for itself is Metallica's logo on it.

Albums:

1. Borknagar - Winter Thrice
Easily album of the year. Perfect from start to finish. Best congregation of awesome vocalists on one album in a long time. Also they managed to mix in pretty much every worthy metal genre and make it smooth as fuck, although it's predominantly prog with some black metal influences. Terminus has the best chorus released this year without any competition.
Best songs: Terminus, title track.

2. Witherscape - The Northern Sanctuary
Dan Swanö shows once again how awesome he is. Doesn't restrict himself to one specific genre and just plays whatever he wants. Another album that's hard to pinpoint genre-wise, but it's most often prog rock/melodeath although there are lots of influences from classic heavy/power metal and hard rock. Title track easily the best epic of 2016.
Best songs: title track, Wake Of Infinity, Marionette.

3. Anaal Nathrakh - The Whole Of The Law
Not their best but another kickass album. A bit darker compared to last few albums (for a band this dark, going darker really means something) and they added some electronic influences here and there to mix things up. Only wish I was able to listen to it more on headphones.
Best songs: Hold Your Children Close & Pray For Oblivion, Of Horror & The Black Shawls.

Songs:

1. Borknagar - Terminus
Tried not to put anything from the above albums here but Terminus is just too fucking good.

2. Ramin Djawadi - Light Of The Seven
I dunno if this song has the same impact if you haven't seen GoT but it's the best song from a soundtrack/score since The Rains Of Castamere.

3. Trees Of Eternity - A Million Tears
Really depressing that this album is all we're ever get from this band :(

Also seconding this:
Moonsorrow - Jumaiten Alka

Last edited:
I spent most of the year discovering songs of the past, so I haven't listened to very much this year. With that being said I think A7X's 'The Stage' is the best song of the year.

Thanks for the contributions. I'll draw up a list of all mentioned songs and albums over the weekend, so if anyone else wants to nominate, there is still some time left.

Back