Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

The professor of one of my classes today scolded someone for 10 minutes straight for asking what I thought was a very legitimate question regarding the exams. First instance of a douchebag professor in my uni life so far.

It's unprofessional.

Not sure what Collin's role is at the hotel but I don't see a problem in politely and discreetly asking someone for an autograph IF the circumstances allow it...of course you don't do it if it appears like Anderson is extremely busy etc...But if asking one bloke (who I'm sure wouldn't mind, it's not like he's Justin Bieber) out of the thousands of customers you serve in a year for an autograph gets you fired - that's fucked up.

Might as well install robots at the hotels if it's not OK to talk to the visitors :p

Last edited:
Honestly, a hotel is supposed to provide accommodation, comfort and privacy for its guests. They're paying money and expect service in return, and part of that service they are entitled to is being shielded off from groupies and fanboys. If the staff is doing what the guests are paying for being left alone from, the hotel isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

Absolutely, the accommodation and the privacy is of course first priority...I'm not suggesting the staff has to run around the place looking for an autograph. But if you're in the position to one-on-one discreetly ask for an autograph like at checkout or wherever that might be....based on your perception of the mood of the individual and then continue on with your work I don't see a problem with that. of course if you're the kind of individual to drool over someone and take selfies and what not that would be totally out of place...

But of course it would all depend on the situation. I personally wouldn't do it if the person just looked like he wanted to get from A to B. But if the person was talkative I don't think I would mind asking.for a simple autograph..I'm not even one for collecting autographs so I probably wouldn't, I just find it silly that apparently someone can get fired for asking :D

Last edited:
Leaf strewn streets with cobbled dead end paths.
Thoughts of older times, threadmakers & bleachworks.
The dark Cart winding past cold Abbey stones.
Tall sandstone walls, dark lites hiding gloomy interiors.
Distant modern noise, the Gaelic speakers buried and forgotten.
Silent Coats Observatory still watching, all is quiet on the old hill...

The observations of Cried upon returning home on foot after dropping the car off at the garage to get the radiator fixed.

Absolutely, the accommodation and the privacy is of course first priority...I'm not suggesting the staff has to run around the place looking for an autograph. But if you're in the position to one-on-one discreetly ask for an autograph like at checkout or wherever that might be....based on your perception of the mood of the individual and then continue on with your work I don't see a problem with that. of course if you're the kind of individual to drool over someone and take selfies and what not that would be totally out of place...

But of course it would all depend on the situation. I personally wouldn't do it if the person just looked like he wanted to get from A to B. But if the person was talkative I don't think I would mind asking.for a simple autograph..

You can't know when a celebrity guest starts feeling a sense of intrusion in their privacy, so in my view it makes sense for the hotel to impose a strict ban on these things for their staff. Having stalked Steve Harris outside a hotel myself, I can tell you that celebrities always run the risk of being ambushed by fans as soon as they walk out the door. So I do think that for the money they pay, they are entitled to a guarantee of privacy for the entire duration of their stay, even if it's just the walk from the counter to the door. This may be different if the guest brings up his status himself, but it should never, ever be prompted by the staff.

That's probably true. Given the fact that for some artists it's the home away from home while touring. So you don't want people running around in your private space asking for autographs. On the other hand it's still just such a small thing if the talk is open and positive...Totally depends on the situation. But if the rules and regulations say no talk to "famous people" (including autographs) that is to be respected of course.....

Last edited:
To answer the question. It's unprofessional. VIP guests want to have a stay where they are not annoyed by fans. It would be even worse if employees started asking for asking for autographs. Besides I kept his key packets.. Ian Anderson literally gave them to me. Now I have a story to tell people. :D

On a somewhat related note, I'm really impressed with magnetic room keys. I stayed in a hotel that used them a few weeks ago and I was surprised that they were more responsive than the usual room keys.

On a somewhat related note, I'm really impressed with magnetic room keys. I stayed in a hotel that used them a few weeks ago and I was surprised that they were more responsive than the usual room keys.
I spend half of my day remaking room keys for people who put them too close to their phone, thus deactivating them.

Back