Empire of the Clouds and me

Ascendingthethrone

Ancient Mariner
Hi everyone,

New member but a long time reader of the forum. I have been a Maiden fan all my life and I thought I would post this here. Last year I got married in a church in Cardington, Bedfordshire. A really great day. Later in the year Maiden released the Book of Souls and I was listening to the EOTC and noticed the line "and in a country churchyard". I didn't think much of it at the time. Anyway, I was visiting the graves of my wife's grandparents in the graveyard of where we got married and noticed the massive memorial to the R101 in the graveyard. It is hard to miss! It all then clicked. Seen as the R101 was built at the hangers in Cardington, it made sense for the memorial to be in the churchyard there.

Yesterday I was talking to the vicar from the church about heavy metal and we got onto Iron Maiden. He got really excited and began to talk about EOTC. He was so excited about the fact that his church is mentioned in an Iron Maiden song and that he is a 'chaplain to Iron Maiden'. He is a great bloke. HE was also telling me that Bruce Dickinson brought some of the memorabilia from the R101 and that there is a number of items in the church. I didn't notice them when I got married.

Just thought I would share that story with you. Almost as good as when my brother met Steve Harris in the toilets at McDonalds after a West Ham match!

Nice!

And interesting that Bruce gave something to a church. That surely won't be appreciated by everybody out here.

Hi everyone,

New member but a long time reader of the forum. I have been a Maiden fan all my life and I thought I would post this here. Last year I got married in a church in Cardington, Bedfordshire. A really great day. Later in the year Maiden released the Book of Souls and I was listening to the EOTC and noticed the line "and in a country churchyard". I didn't think much of it at the time. Anyway, I was visiting the graves of my wife's grandparents in the graveyard of where we got married and noticed the massive memorial to the R101 in the graveyard. It is hard to miss! It all then clicked. Seen as the R101 was built at the hangers in Cardington, it made sense for the memorial to be in the churchyard there.

Yesterday I was talking to the vicar from the church about heavy metal and we got onto Iron Maiden. He got really excited and began to talk about EOTC. He was so excited about the fact that his church is mentioned in an Iron Maiden song and that he is a 'chaplain to Iron Maiden'. He is a great bloke. HE was also telling me that Bruce Dickinson brought some of the memorabilia from the R101 and that there is a number of items in the church. I didn't notice them when I got married.

Just thought I would share that story with you. Almost as good as when my brother met Steve Harris in the toilets at McDonalds after a West Ham match!

Fantastic story and belated congratulations on your wedding!

Not to mention this was the greatest introductory post ever.

Back