Paul Di'Anno

More important (in what I like so much) about Murder One is that it has a dark, sinister colour. A more evil, more dangerous kind of darkness. But its atmosphere can also be moody, haunting, threatening and sometimes I feel some sadness as well even. Blaze's albums are also moody, or gloomy. When I hear his work I enjoy the depth of his voice and I imagine this man who's so committed and connected to what he sings about. There's this strong personal aura, a focus on this individual and his strength. I kind of dive in Blaze's internal world, his emotions and (scientific) interest in the human being and its mental state, its psychology. On Blaze albums there's (urge for) inner strength and willpower written all over it. I associate it with inner strength, going outwards (having effect on life, climbing up, taking control etc.)

On this particular Di'Anno album I feel a lesser direct connection with (the internal mind of) the person Di'Anno. And the focus is rather drawn on the surroundings: enthralling impressions from the outside, having an inward effect. I envision gritty streets. A bleak desolate film noir kind of area, in which it is not safe. And I haven't even focused that well on the content of the lyrics! The atmosphere, the music and the voice(!) envoke all this! And within this uncertain cityscape there are different scenes. E.g. in Protector there's movement, crossing of distance (e.g. from one neighbourhood to another), awareness, a "watch your back" atmosphere. In Takin' No Prisoners it rather feels as if it takes place in a building, or some alley. The calmer parts are so strong: where Di'Anno sings but also in the instrumental bit before the solos start. These beautiful three chords themselves are already so melancholic and desperate(!) sounding. I feel that very much. Just so haunting. And then, with the bass underneath, it slowly builds up getting more intense, with additions of that neat little riff and more action on the drums. Also in Dream Keeper, there's this fragile and vulnerable side. It starts like that, with a very calm guitar melody and then it develops into an incredibly suspenseful and haunting song. I am very sensitive to this, so yeah, that certainly helps in my appreciation! :)

These are some very in-depth, very accurate descriptions of the hidden personalities behind the voices of these guys. In general, Paul has always had a darker, harsher tone than anyone else to come through Maiden. Boiling down your analysis to single sentences, I think the picturesque scope of each Maiden vocalist's tone looks something like this:

Paul - Rundown streets and alleyways with an inward focus on gritty feelings and the inevitable chip that may never leave your burdened shoulders.

Blaze - How the pitch black night skies and the stars that lie beyond affect the greater human mind, heart, and soul.

Bruce - Witness the power of rundown streets, alleys, dark skies, burning stars, dark magick, and...hey, why are we taking things so seriously instead of having a beer?

Cheers! Although the descriptions were not only intended to be about the voices, rather the albums (the "total package"). But certainly the voices could be seen as that as well.

I gathered that, but your post got me thinking and I believe your descriptions extend beyond those albums. We're dealing with vocalists who (regardless of one's opinion on quality) bring very specific moods and sounds to every album they record. I think their voices conjure up similar descriptions on every album.

Vocals are really no different than any other instrument. Rock is littered with guitar players who are technically proficient, but have no "soul" or "feeling" in their playing and sloppier players who have a certain "something" that works for the type of music they are playing and brings life to the songs. Same with vocalists ...

Paul was never an up and down the scales kind of guy, but he had that "something" that fit perfectly on the first 2 Maiden albums and at least occasionally popped up on his non Maiden stuff, the main problem with some of his non Maiden stuff, like Battlezone is that the songs did not really fit his voice.

Paul was never an up and down the scales kind of guy, but he had that "something" that fit perfectly on the first 2 Maiden albums and at least occasionally popped up on his non Maiden stuff, the main problem with some of his non Maiden stuff, like Battlezone is that the songs did not really fit his voice.

Agreed. @Forostar's got me listening to Murder One, however, and it suits his voice perfectly. Pretty solid stuff (for the most part).

That is really the problem with his solo stuff, there are some good songs there .. but you have to wade through a lot of crap as well .. especially the "I want to be an 80s pop-hard rock star" songs.

One of the best Maiden related albums out there, finally in one vid on YouTube, with bonus tracks. Enjoy!
Okay, Foro, I'm genuinely curious as to why you rate this so highly? Maybe you don't. I mean, on first listen, it's good. The guitar work is bluesy-rock & is pretty sweet; there are lots (& lots!) of tasty solos. Paul's also sounding really good; altho' do I sense a little faux-American twang to his singing-accent? Dunno, but it's as good as I've ever heard him. But the lyrics; hell, they're profoundly unprofound. They're cheesy with a capital C. I'm unclear how you can read so much into the man's music and ignore the obvious shallowness of the cliché-ridden rock-standard lyrics. Paul has nothing original to say here; if he has anything to say at all. It's fun, don't get me wrong. And it's good too; better than average by some distance. Do you rate it higher or, like much music, are you also just disappointed at how little acknowledgement this album gets?
I don't know... I do like it, and it has a few great songs, but it's nowhere near what Bruce put out, or Blaze's good albums.
I can't comment on Blaze (haven't heard anything really of his own material), but I agree with Perun here; it's not really up there with Brucie's later solo albums. Different music I suppose...

... in fact, as I near the end of this first listening, I'm beginning to think Paul's lyrics are most definitely the worst thing on this album. I'm smirking listening to them. I'd probably think this was the best thing I'd ever heard after a few pints...

... or maybe six.

Last edited:
I haven't heard any solo albums by Maiden members that even come close to Bruce's best work, Blaze included. Blaze's first two albums and the live album are really good though.

I have to say, I find Adrian's PRR (Mikee Goodman's slightly odd vocal style aside) pretty damn good too. Brucie's best aren't without fault, but they're very, very good. He really shines as a vocalist and songwriting lyricist on those later solo albums. Add Roy's guitar playing, guitar writing, and the production; and they're pure quality. Having said this, they are firmly in the Heavy Metal category; Murder One has at least one foot in Hard Rock. My taste is very much the former, which is perhaps why I'm saying it's "fun" etc.

EDIT:
The "Live Rehearsal Recordings" are fucking rocking though!

Listening to the first minute of Murder One.
I can't believe anyone has mentioned what a Ram It Down ripoff the first song is.
Brutally obvious.

I listened to the whole album on Foro's recommendation, and I found it quite good. The music is very solid, sometimes awesome, and Paul sounds amazing. I was very pleasantly surprised with the album as whole. However, I've got to agree with Cried, the lyrics are mostly garbage.

Back