Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Working at an office in California this week, real casual. Ran into a guy wearing a Maiden shirt from Chile, he said he just moved here before Maiden came around this tour so he missed them.

Cool guy , we chatted for 20 minutes or so

Best thing about band t-shirts: Natural conversation starter.

I sort of wish we had a Libertarian party in the UK*, but then again it sort of defeats the object of Libertarianism in some ways. Surely the whole point of Libertarianism is the want to be not governed.

*Please, do not respond with something like "What about UKIP, they’re libertarian - aren’t they?". No. UKIP are as much of a big/nanny state as Labour and the Tories.
Without governance it'll be a "me, me, me and fuck the rest"-society without any form of (social) control.

Last edited:
I'm sceptical about libertarianism, particularly when taken to the extreme. I'm not completely convinced that business is about to become self-regulating and responsible, with irresponsible businesses either dying out or being forced to change in order to sustain a customer base. I'm aware this is taught as gospel in some economics and marketing circles, but far too many investors have very short-term aims, an increasingly global economy means you can just set up somewhere else, and directors have the means of ducking out of bad debt. Not everyone can become an investor or an entrepreneur, there needs to be employment.

Without governance it'll be a "me, me, me and fuck the rest"-society without any form of (social) control.
In all fairness, you do not need a Govt to enforce people to be charitable to others. It can be voluntary and it can still work. Which reminds me of two very different takes on charity:
Charity%2Bis%2Ba%2Bcold%2Bgrey%2Bloveless%2Bthing.jpg

penn-jillette-charity-copy.png

I think no government would directly lead to the oligarchy of the rich businessmen. There can be some good in business philosophy leading the society such as corporations having an incentive to enrichen the population -To be able to sell them more goods-, but the negatives of such a system is very apparent as well, you need working class manpower to be able to create the products and business aims completely controlling the societal affairs could lead to slavery for working class.

Essentially, I think government is a necessity to establish balance between social classes in a free-market environment. -And I also think economic inequality is a good thing in terms of the liberty of the individual, as long as it's a true meritocracy-

Though an argument can be made that with all the crony capitalism and corporatism going on, governments are already controlled by an oligarchy of rich businessmen. I think the solution is to rid the crony capitalism and corporatism, and not burning the entire system down.

Last edited:
Who decides what is deemed responsible or not? This can be very subjective.

Isn't the point of a wholly libertarian system that nobody deems any economic practices responsible or irresponsible? It's assumed consumers vote with their feet, based on preference, assuming there's any choice and they actually have any feet left.

There is more to Libertarians that economics ... in terms of rights they are pretty far out in front of letting people live their lives without interference ... anything from gay marriage (or just gay rights in general), against over policing, legalized drugs, free from NSA style intrusions, generally anti interventionalist, etc.

I think socially liberal and economically conservative/free market is a nice way to go.

That's my kind of office

This place is awesome, they have about 1000 people here, they hired a 5 star chef who caters breakfast, lunch, and dinner in the office.

The other morning, I ordered French Toast for breakfast and I started putting a bit of whipped cream on it and the guy came running out with another dish of it saying I was using the waffle whipped cream, they make a different kind for French Toast ... with a little vanilla in it.

They grill up steaks, ribs, chicken, etc for lunch on Fridays

All free of charge.

Plus about every kind of snack or drink you can imagine in the snack stations around the building.

I'd weigh 400 lbs if I actually worked here. But I think this is my last time coming out for a few months ... mostly remote work for a while.

Isn't the point of a wholly libertarian system that nobody deems any economic practices responsible or irresponsible?
I think I do need to stress, I'm not going for a complete and utter wholly libertarian system but I am pro free-market. The thing is that if we do adopt that system, people can sell what they want to whoever wants to buy it. I don't see any problem in having age limits set on various stuff - it makes sense. But if a person wants to sell something to someone else that falls the right side of the age limits (for example), then why not?

I definitely support some aspects that could be considered libertarian economically - I am pro drug legalization, for example. But I also think that the government needs to be treating addiction to any substance as a health care problem - and I firmly believe in government run health care. So...yeah.

Back