Mastodon

I'm loving the new album. It's a grower. Nothing can surpass Crack The Skye, but it's close to The Hunter. I really can't compare it to first 3 albums 'cause they are very different in style. The Hunter is a bit more varied, with lots of different types of songs, while the new one is a bit more cohesive. This is my favorite song from the album:

It's definitely a grower. At first, I only appreciated a few songs, but after a week, I really love the whole record, the highlights being Tread Lightly (the intro is awesome), High Road (the instrumental passage sounds very Maiden-esque) and Asleep in the Deep (the chorus is absolutely great). This is a step further in the same direction as The Hunter. They are really good at creating different atmospheres and their using three lead singers helps a lot, although I'd like Brent Hinds to be less prominent in that respect.

Last edited:
Listened to it once this evening and I like it a lot. I can already tell that this album will jump up in my favorites, maybe beat out CtS and The Hunter. Lots of hooks, focus on great songwriting, and when it gets technical it actually compliments the rest of the music very well. It also has the most coherence to me of any Mastodon album and flows very well. Will definitely be giving it more listens.

I might see Mastodon this Sunday, depends if I'm supposed to be somewhere else at that time.

They sometimes look rather unconfortable with their intruments. And I find Brann's singing a bit forced. Anyway, the album is the best stuff I've heard in ages.

Yesterday at the Grammys :D

10952660_10153127267082948_7865885911833931721_o.png

I sometimes am a follower... and then I'm not. There's always this impulse, when I start to listen to them a lot and I think they're the best thing since sliced bread... and three days later I can't stand them, hating their tone, thinking they're way too pretentious (not really having the chops of the prog bands, yet trying to pass off as prog), thinking Brann should stop overdrumming absolutely everywhere and thinking they're not that original after all.

Doesn't help the most musically interesting album for me, Skye, has the most vocals by that Ozzy imitator, whoever that is. I actually like all of their albums, including Remission, but so far there hasn't been that long-term love. There's definitely something missing, but I'm not sure what as of yet.

I think I rank them higher than you do, and that my love for them is more constant, but I can understand you. They are not as good and original as they think they are (it's the case for most of us, isn't it ? :cool:), some of their riffs have been already heard millions of times (most of all on the two first albums), and Brent's nasal voice can be unbearable (he ruins three of Crack the Skyes' songs). But, they've got something: their songs are more efficient nowadays, better structured, they've found a good balance between melody and heaviness, they are holding Brent far from the micophone most of the time (or drugs do). So they deserve a listen.

Last edited:
Brent's nasal voice can be unbearable

Oh, so that's Brent. I know they have three vocalists nowadays (with Brann participating in too, from time to time), but - apart from the Scott Kelly guest spots - I have always been able to tell apart only the "decayed one" - which I now know is Brent - and the "normal one", which I guess must be Troy. Where in particular does Brann sing?

Oh, so that's Brent. I know they have three vocalists nowadays (with Brann participating in too, from time to time), but - apart from the Scott Kelly guest spots - I have always been able to tell apart only the "decayed one" - which I now know is Brent - and the "normal one", which I guess must be Troy. Where in particular does Brann sing?

Try "The Motherload" or passages of "Oblivion" for Brann's singing.
For Troy (the bassplayer, whom you call the "normal one"), try "This Mortal Soil' on Blood Mountain.

Back