Dream Theater

Let's not forget that the singer can't perform this album. It is a too ambitious project to do live.

But if one tolerates all these forms of fakeness and bad performance, then every DT gig is good, I guess.

They used another way: backing tracks.

And you also do not mind Petrucci's playbacking?

Ridiculous. FAKE.

I meant that using backing tracks was the only option, other than a choir.

I must have misread the Petrucci thing. Are they saying he has multiple guitars being piped in?

Petrucci acted as if he really sang the backing vocals. These vocals came from tape, thus he literally (and shamelessly) playbacked.

edit:
EDIT: The reviewer's mention of Symphony X as being more straight forward is pretty odd considering they have been shamelessly using backing tracks forever.
Did I say straight forward? I said that they were more convincing. Performing better, with less gadgets.

This is not the first city on the current tour I have read a review about where employees are walking around (or verbally reminding the audience several times) not to film or take photos.

Petrucci acted as if he really sang the backing vocals. These vocals came from tape, thus he literally (and shamelessly) playbacked.

edit:

Did I say straight forward? I said that they were more convincing. Performing better, with less gadgets.

It said "convince more with lesser means", which is an odd way of holding up Symphony X as a pinnacle of performance in this discussion considering Romeo and LePond shamelessly walk up to the mic and pretend to sing every single choir part live while backing tracks do all the work.

Where does that happen? Just wondering why the same reviewer would not notice/mention this. Perhaps it happened and other aspects made Symphony X's performance more convincing in his eyes.
Looking at this footage, there's obviously less show. And they played the whole latest album, but not in the same running order. Risky, but it worked.

I don't think anyone really believes any of these bands is able to reproduce their choirs on stage alone. If they lip-sync, either it's part of the show or they sing along with the choirs. So what?

For example Nightwish are much more dependent on the orchestral part of the things... and the orchestra's usually played from the tape. Is there any reason to see them live, then? I think there is. Also the ever-loved Queen never "played" Bohemian Rhapsody live. Authenticity's overrated. The show should work. This one might not, but not for these reasons.

Unless their performances (that is, riffs, solos, drums/fills etc.) are playbacked, I don't really care about that.

Otherwise I would expect such criticism regarding what kind of album this one is. I am honestly still not convinced the album was that good of an idea and I don't think this tour playing only the album in its entirety is a good idea at all.

Oh, and the Portnoy x Mangini annoys me as well. They are both good, they both have their pros and cons and nobody should really care. Yes, it was a loss of a third person balancing JP/JR in the creative vision, yes he was a founding member. Yes, Mangini's very technical. So is Rudess. So is Romeo. So what? I agree he undermines himself a bit with the drum sound, which can be a bit annoying.

That's all fine and dandy but Nightwish ain't got people pretending to play cellos on stage.
As far as I understand, JP pretended to sing while studio recording was being played, hence a playback, a thing that doesn't belong anywhere in concert, let alone a metal one...

What, no live choir? Metropolis 2000 tour/Scenes from a Memory tour had it all...

Look even a solo gospel singer and a live choir.....

2:40-ish for the solo performance

Choir goes crazy at 4:40

I'm pretty sure they didn't take that choir on tour. No way they could (then or now) afford that.

Where does that happen? Just wondering why the same reviewer would not notice/mention this. Perhaps it happened and other aspects made Symphony X's performance more convincing in his eyes.

Looking at this footage, there's obviously less show. And they played the whole latest album, but not in the same running order. Risky, but it worked.

I won't disagree with the point that Symphony X puts on a better live show with much less spectacle than DT. I love Symphony X and I think they are far better performers.

If we're talking about that set specifically, I guess there isn't much with backing vocals. Maybe Sea of Lies. I know I have seen them multiple times and on songs like Smoke and Mirrors, Of Sins and Shadows, Divine Wings, Revelation, they do vocal miming.

I'm pretty sure they didn't take that choir on tour. No way they could (then or now) afford that.

Haha perhaps. I'm thinking DT are one of those bands who could easily hire a OK choir to tour with them if they wanted too..but perhaps I'm wrong in thinking that...

That's all fine and dandy but Nightwish ain't got people pretending to play cellos on stage.
As far as I understand, JP pretended to sing while studio recording was being played, hence a playback, a thing that doesn't belong anywhere in concert, let alone a metal one...

I get your point, but I have 2 counters:

1. I think we disagree on the importance of the background vocals.
2. Do we have any actual proof Petrucci just pretends to sing while only tape plays?

As far as the guitar playback go... I don't know. On one hand, it sounds uncool, but on the other, if you have only one guitarist, there's no other way to play some of the cool harmonies created in studio. Once you start multi-tracking and overdubbing, there's pretty much no way to make it sound good live unless you:
1. Lose your credibility
2. Hire an entire orchestra/other members, who are not the band, honestly

In fact, when a song gets me with its beautiful use of guitar harmonies, I'm usually very afraid it won't be as good live if there's a sole guitarist (e. g. - Led Zeppelin's Achilles, DT's very own This Dying Soul)

Also, I might be remembering this one wrong, but Alex admitted to shamelessly lip-syncing live during Rush concerts while background vocals play.

Back vocals are of no importance, agreed, and no musical value was actually taken away by the decision to play them back. But the act just shows that JP is 100% fake.

I'm fine with playbacks as long as the show is enjoyable. Though it's better to know that you'll hear playback beforehand so as to not be disappointed when you see the show.

I don't think I've ever pointed fingers at Mangini....but he didn't/doesn't have the say-so that Mike had...and frankly the path that DT has taken now that Mike isn't there to is IMO...pretty horrible...That's without putting a finger on Mangini's playing but he's not a vital part of the discussion table I don't think when it comes to new music....DT lots a little bit of edge when they ditched Mike..

I dislike Mangini's lack of feel but I won't hold the drummer change responsible for DT's dry spell. That started when Portnoy was still in the band. The band has not come up with a great album since Six Degrees, some in the middle were just alright.

Last edited:
I always got the feeling all of DT are mostly "academic" musicians who liked the sound of metal and tried to do that, so I started to listen to them fully realising they are "fake", from any point of view. Maybe they're not, though.

Also

no musical value was actually taken away by the decision to play them back.

in fact, the musical value might have been actually added. There are times I wish Maiden did play back their backing vocals :D (who is it who sings the backing vocals completely off-key live, CIPWM being one of the worst offenders?)

Dream Theater between Images and Words and Six Degrees is not a phony band at all. They had their own sound and the albums had their own identity.

I think they still have their own sound and I never thought they were a phony band (if I understand the term correctly). It's more like them never being really "rock 'n' roll", or "tr00", if you know what I mean.

Back