Blaze Bayley

Just read your review, Foro! Makes me even more thrilled, as I'm going to the Gradisca d'Isonzo (Italy) gig next Wednesday - and it's a free gig, organized by the guys who manage the local band competition. :D

All I have heard of Blaze solo is Silicone Messiah (couple of months ago). Really liked the album but just dont have the motivation to care too much about his career. I suspect that this shameful attitude is common among many Maiden fans. But you cant listen to everything I suppose.

After reading the last few pages here I decided to give Infinite Entanglement a spin. I agree with others thoughts here that the production is a let down and I think that sometimes Blaze sounds a wee bit off (like when he goes extra deep). Other than those two small complaints I fuckin love this record! I found it really enjoyable. I wasn't following the tracklisting so cant really pick favourite songs but the tunes are strong IMO and Blaze sounds great for the most part. I will definitely go through his catalogue after this.

Well played, Blaze.

Niall, in my opinion, the only stuff that's really special is Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension. And the live album comprised from stuff off of those first two albums (plus some Maiden), As Live As It Gets. It was the first (and best, tightest) lineup. Give it a spin, it's truly great.

Haven't listened to the latest album yet, I'll weigh in when I get the chance.

Sigh. @Niall Kielt hereby I overrule Ranko's advice:
Also pay heed to Blaze's third album, made with the same songwriters from the first two albums (with a different bass player and drummer in the line-up.). I'd say Blood and Belief contains his best vocal performance of all records he ever sang on. And the sound of the album and most of the songs are excellent. One but best Blaze album, at times even the best.

Last edited:
8.jpg

7.jpg

Wacken 2000.
9.jpg

Steve Wray and Blaze, 2002.

It amazes me what you can find with https://archive.org/index.php !

Last edited:
I found some short video clips from a 2004 concert on an old CD-rom, recorded by my wife. Quality isn't that great (sound is not bad though!) but I could upload it on YouTube.

I rate Blood and Belief a notch lower than the first two albums because it's dark and downbeat. It's not as punchy as its predecessors.

On the other hand, I haven't given it a spin at least five years, so I might revisit it now. :D

Oh, looking at those Wacken photos: my god, he was slim!

I gave blood and belief a few spins this week after reading this thread. It's a quality album and I agree that it's probably the best vocal performance of Blazes career.

I haven't given the blaze albums much attention in recent years but have dug them all out and plan to give them all a few spins over the next week or so. Haven't picked up the new one yet but will do.

@Forostar - was there any merchandise at your gig? I'm looking to buy the new album, and possibly Silicon Messiah to complete my collection.

I was at the Gradisca d'Isonzo gig yesterday, and it was a blast! We drove 300 km from Croatia, returned home at 4 a.m., I was pretty groggy at work today because of the trip, but don't regret a single moment!

The admission was free, as the show was organized by the local youth association. There were two warm-up bands, and the one that immediately preceded Blaze was a decent local Maiden cover band, so that was a nice surprise.

Blaze's show was terrific! A lot of songs from the new album, and the rest was a cross-section of his career so far. A very good set.

The crowd was a bit strange - a total of maybe 100-150 people, about 20 or so were Blaze fans in the first few rows, and I guess the others were casual rock or Maiden fans. And there were a few children and a two mothers with small babies - I don't know why you would bring a baby to a loud event like this.

As Forostar said, the band is good, and the drummer had a few hiccups here and there, but the guitarist did a splendid job with the Wray and Slater solos and was having fun the entire time. Blaze was also in good shape and good spirit, did a nice performance. He not only sings his lyrics, he is fully invested in them, emotionally, like an actor on a stage.

Also, this is the first time I paid attention to the lyrics from his later albums; he really is a science fiction and philosophy enthusiast.

To repeat what Forostar said, go and see Blaze if you can - it's a great performance, you won't be sorry.

Niall, in my opinion, the only stuff that's really special is Silicon Messiah and Tenth Dimension. And the live album comprised from stuff off of those first two albums (plus some Maiden), As Live As It Gets. It was the first (and best, tightest) lineup. Give it a spin, it's truly great.

Haven't listened to the latest album yet, I'll weigh in when I get the chance.
I have yet to try the live album, but I will! :cheers:

Wow that video for the title track of his new album is bad!

I'm sure I spend more money down the pub on a Friday night than the budget for his recent videos lol.

Shame as the song is pretty cool. One thing that really irritates is the stupid facial expressions and hand waving blaze always seems to do in his videos. I love the guys voice and his music and thought he was great in Maiden but the two times I saw him live with Maiden it really irritated me that his stage presence seemed to be just gurning at the crowd and staying rooted to the spot waving his hand/fist.

Back