"The Book of Souls" - Official pre-release thread (CONTAINS ALBUM SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but for me it's like using salt & pepper in great restaurant. You just can't do some things, this is one of them.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what's with all the negativity about the album? To those select few who either don't like it (or don't want to like it), what the hell do you want?

Maybe my ears are busted, but to me, Book of Souls sounds like a cross between Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death, along with a smidgen of Chemical Wedding. In a word: awesome. Bruce sounds better than he has on any Maiden album since the 80's. The guitar work makes Brave New World sound like child's play. Steve's bass playing sounds better than it has in decades. Seriously, what do you people want?

I have a theory. If Maiden had never released Powerslave and instead released Somewhere In Time after Number of the Beast, then Powerslave leaked as the new album yesterday, a fairly large contingent of fans would whine and say it's not good enough. And speaking of Powerslave and the fucking worship everyone has for it, how is the creaky boat bullshit in the middle of Rime any different than the long instrumental sections on songs after 2000? Maiden are practically spoon-feeding you "play classics" chumps 80's material in the form of riffs and speedy songs. Yet it's not good enough. Again, what do you want? Maybe if you lay it out in a clear and concise manner, Steve and the boys might deliver on a future album. Don't claim they're not trying to please their fans, though. This album is all about pleasing the fans.

I am new here but have been a Maiden fan since 1986 and this post sums up how I feel after reading threads about the reunion albums since I have joined.

To be fair - group of people that dislike new stuff is small. Smaller than group that love it. They are just easier to spot.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but what's with all the negativity about the album? To those select few who either don't like it (or don't want to like it), what the hell do you want?

Maybe my ears are busted, but to me, Book of Souls sounds like a cross between Brave New World and A Matter of Life and Death, along with a smidgen of Chemical Wedding. In a word: awesome. Bruce sounds better than he has on any Maiden album since the 80's. The guitar work makes Brave New World sound like child's play. Steve's bass playing sounds better than it has in decades. Seriously, what do you people want?

I have a theory. If Maiden had never released Powerslave and instead released Somewhere In Time after Number of the Beast, then Powerslave leaked as the new album yesterday, a fairly large contingent of fans would whine and say it's not good enough. And speaking of Powerslave and the fucking worship everyone has for it, how is the creaky boat bullshit in the middle of Rime any different than the long instrumental sections on songs after 2000? Maiden are practically spoon-feeding you "play classics" chumps 80's material in the form of riffs and speedy songs. Yet it's not good enough. Again, what do you want? Maybe if you lay it out in a clear and concise manner, Steve and the boys might deliver on a future album. Don't claim they're not trying to please their fans, though. This album is all about pleasing the fans.

Yeah I never got the Rime is untouchable from the same group that complains about shit being long or boring. Selective memory. So what's the excuse for doing the same three bass lines over and over again on Rime? How exactly is Rime more interesting than what they've done here?

Oh right, deh classics.

I am new here but have been a Maiden fan since 1986 and this post sums up how I feel after reading threads about the reunion albums since I have joined.
To be fair - group of people that dislike new stuff is small. Smaller than group that love it. They are just easier to spot.
Well i hope you guys are ready for the 5th because after official release the trolls are really going to come out of the woodwork, however all the abstainers will have also heard it and im pretty sure they're all going to love it

One thing I think we can count on is another live album off of this. I will be interesting to see if they do indeed try performing EOTC live as well.

Rime is an outstanding song. And anyone putting it down on this board would be asking for backlash. You are so right though, there are reunion songs that are on or near par with it.
It has become evident to me lately that there are those that allow sediment to fog their opinions of certain songs. That's understandable. But undeniable.

I really don't care if people dislike it. I care that they have to troll constantly, giving negative opinions and expressing incredulity that most people love the album. Some have been very respectful - and that's good, and I approve. Some have been banned because we got tired of it.

One thing I think we can count on is another live album off of this. I will be interesting to see if they do indeed try performing EOTC live as well.

If there's no EOTC, I'm not buying it
corksniffer.gif

Yeah I never got the Rime is untouchable from the same group that complains about shit being long or boring. Selective memory. So what's the excuse for doing the same three bass lines over and over again on Rime? How exactly is Rime more interesting than what they've done here?

Oh right, deh classics.
"Classics"... Know what else is classic? Gangland. Sure glad Maiden doesn't have to tell that tale anymore.

Oh yeah, and as far as production snafus and the love for Martin Birch, riddle me this: why is Bruce flat on the second verse (after the solos) of Aces High?

This is heavy metal. Anyone crying about it not sounding like overproduced top 40 pop need only look at Chinese Democracy to see how tinkering with production can make songs sound bad. I understand we all wish Maiden would throw the digital shit aside and record on tapes, but this isn't 1988 anymore. For better or worse, times have changed.

SOL was the single so they pretty much have to play it live but i wish that they would replace it with a better "less likely" to play live song like WTRRD or DoG.
I understand why they released SOL as the single though, there are obviously better choices for a single like IESF or TOAC but then SOL would have looked pretty bad on the album

Hearing it for 3rd time at full volume, currently at The Red and the Black, this song is going to be amazing to hear the "oooOOOooOO" at a full stadium, like fear of the dark.
i wanted to use a "fangirling" gif to express how i feel about the album, but so many of them that can express what i feel, that i better just throw the google search result page lol.

Hearing it for 3rd time at full volume, currently at The Red and the Black, this song is going to be amazing to hear the "oooOOOooOO" at a full stadium, like fear of the dark.
i wanted to use a "fangirling" gif to express how i feel about the album, but so many of them that can express what i feel, that i better just throw the google search result page lol.
Something like that?
large.gif

Rime is an outstanding song. And anyone putting it down on this board would be asking for backlash. You are so right though, there are reunion songs that are on or near par with it.
It has become evident to me lately that there are those that allow sediment to fog their opinions of certain songs. That's understandable. But undeniable.
I didn't say it wasn't an outstanding song. It's a masterpiece. However, no song is perfect. I often think while I'm listening to songs, "gee, if I were writing this, I'd do x, y or z here." Our opinions about songs are subjective, and that's wonderful. Otherwise, there wouldn't be much point having a forum to discuss our opinions. I just don't understand how the same individuals continually repeat the same crap in post after post. It's a waste of bandwidth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back