Judas Priest

Tipton will be 70 in 3 years, Halford will be 66. Their time is inevitably coming to an end although I'm not sure whether rushing another album is the right move. I'm not satisfied with Redeemer of Souls.

Doesn't sound like they're necessarily rushing though. Seems more like they've had a great time making the last album and are motivated to do another soon. Apparently they've already got ideas.

Tipton will be 70 in 3 years, Halford will be 66. Their time is inevitably coming to an end although I'm not sure whether rushing another album is the right move. I'm not satisfied with Redeemer of Souls.
Cut away some filler (and how they put one of the arguably best tracks as a bonus is beyond me) and apply some decent production and it'd be a pretty damn good album.

Last edited:
I don't want to sound too harsh on the album though. There are some very fine songs on it, it all just sounds too amateurish in my opinion.

I think they were just caught up in it and got sonically lost. I'm sure they for some reason thought it sounded great at the time they were making it. But it obviously doesn't.

...which is partly why it's very possible that Book of Souls will remain their last album.

I don't think so. Or rather: if TBOS is the last album, it won't be because of someone's age. Excepting cancer scares, Maiden is a very fit band. There's no reason they can't keep going for a while.

At least for the next ten years, it's most likely that if Maiden called it a day, it would be someone choosing to retire, not being forced out by age.

I used to think the album after TFF would very likely be the last, but I've become a bit more optimistic lately. Especially that last interview with Steve Harris gives me the vibe that they don't intend on retiring anytime soon. And the age isn't showing in their performances at all really. I'd like to think they have at least one more in them after this.

I'm not super familiar with Priests past music, but I am familiar and a big fan. I love the new album. The two best songs are Halls of Valhalla and Sword of Domocles. In fact I'd say Sword of Domocles is one of the best metal songs ive heard in a long time. I have a question: has Priest ever done anything like those songs in the past? They are very epic and structured in a nontypical way. The harmonies are amazing. Like someone said, very Maidenesque.

But overall the guitars on the album are breathtaking. The riffs, the solos, the harmonies, the guitar duals!

The bonus track Creatures is awesome. Should have been on the album.

I hope their next album is as good as Redeemer. Like I've said befote, they've finally made their Brave New World.

I don't know how people can tell who plays which guitar part/solo. Maybe it says in the booklet.

If you like Sword of Damocles you might like their previous CD, Nostradamus.

Notable tracks: Prophecy, Revelations, Death, Persecution, Exiled, Alone, Nostradamus, Future of Mankind (I've got big love for the closing track).

(Mod edit: Yax missed a comma between Alone and Nostradamus. It's two songs, not "Alone Nostradamus". :cool:)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how people can tell who plays which guitar part/solo. Maybe it says in the booklet.
Sometimes it says in the booklet but usually it's just a matter of familiarizing yourself with the individual styles. For Redeemer I found that Ritchie's phrases are a bit smoother while Tipton has a slightly sloppier picking style. So you'll hear more pinch harmonics and string noises with him.

Anyone wondering what that unreleased Priest collaboration with 80's UK pop hitmakers Stock, Aitken, & Waterman sounded like? Here's a taste! lol :)

Anyone wondering what that unreleased Priest collaboration with 80's UK pop hitmakers Stock, Aitken, & Waterman sounded like? Here's a taste! lol :)

I'm cracking up listening to this song in contrast to the photos.

That said, as far as 80's pop-rock/glam metal songs go, this doesn't sound too bad imo.

I'm cracking up listening to this song in contrast to the photos.

That said, as far as 80's pop-rock/glam metal songs go, this doesn't sound too bad imo.

Yep. I like some non-metal music, and once you get over the initial shock that it's Priest playing this, it actually sounds pretty good. The other thing is, it proves that Rob was simply just a great all-round singer, not just a supreme metal vocalist. A truly great singer, can sing anything from any genre, and be good at it, and Rob certainly proves that here. I am glad this stuff didn't surface at the time though, as it would have killed their reputation in the metal community back then. Even the "Turbo" material sounds metallic when compared with this. lol I'd like to see it released now though, that their reputation as legends has long been secured. :)

Back