Iron Maiden: Album Discussion

I was working my way through the IM commentary threads and I love the idea of a thread devoted to discussing each song. I realized we also need a thread for general discussion related to the albums.
I will be creating them as I work my way through the discography for the first time, in chronological order.

Iron Maiden:
A great overall album. I'm impressed right out of the gate, even if I technically listened to NOTB first.
Prowler and the three song pairing of phantom of the opera/transylvania/strange world are among my favorite parts of the album. The solos in PotO and Transylvania are some of the best I've heard so far. Songs like Remember Tomorrow and Iron Maiden are also good.
The album has a very punk rock feel to it, and that's not a bad thing. I also didn't realize initially that Paul Di'Anno was the vocalist and not Bruce Dickinson, so credit to Bruce in NOTB for fooling me.
The best album of the Paul Di'Anno era.

I agree with nearly all points made. Iron Maiden is one my favorite Maiden albums, along with NotB, Somewhere in Time, 7th Son, and Powerslave.

I like it, there's some great highlights like PotO and Remember Tomorrow (Although I prefer Bruce's version, especially on The Early Days tour), but I much prefer Killers.

:)

22 sent me a PM asking me if it's alright to open a thread like this, citing the "General Album Ratings" as a thread that doesn't quite suit his aims, specifically saying that he did not want to post there outside of the purpose of the thread. I told him it's alright because we are appreciative of new initiatives and that it would be alright if he opened a new thread.

I am afraid I don't really see what is so new about the initiative, nor do I exactly understand this part of your post:
he did not want to post there outside of the purpose of the thread.
How is this outside of the purpose of the thread?

Anyway: sure. Remember, I said "as well".

I am just not letting him getting away without any reference to all the efforts that were already done in the other thread.

22, don't forget that some albums already have separate album topics, such as e.g. Brave New World, Dance of Death or The Final Frontier.

Last edited:
It's a very strong first album, and remains one of their best, I think. Not completely sure why people liken this and Killers to punk, except it has a very 'no frills' approach as far as composition and sound go. You can imagine them playing in a pub.

nor do I exactly understand this part of your post:

How is this outside of the purpose of the thread?

I'm sorry, but you will have to ask 22, because I paraphrased from his PM. He only used the words I gave you.

Anyway: sure. Remember, I said "as well".

Yes, I do. I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was in any way negative towards your post, I merely intended to give you information in 22's defence, so that you know that it was my responsibility.

I am just not letting him getting away without any reference to all the efforts that were already done in the other thread.

The part in bold sounds like 22 did something deeply wrong. If he did, it's my responsibility because I told him it was OK, and I apologise. I did not consider this thoroughly, and I should have been more careful with it. I apologise for any offence and assure you that I meant no harm. I am very sorry for my poor judgement and hope you accept my apology.

Thanks for yout consideration. Everything is alright! I felt not offended. In the sentence with "Letting him getting away" I meant that I felt that the other topic deserved some mention, either by him, or anyone else.

Last edited:
Forostar,
I saw that general albums rating thread and I didn't mean to take away from it. I thought that each album's subforum may need somewhere to talk about that specific album outside of the thread for each individual song.
We certainly can talk about albums in almost any thread on here, including the great, lengthy discussion in the best and worst albums threads.

I had asked Perun if a general thread for each album had already existed and if I had not seen it. Thanks for your input.

It's a very strong first album, and remains one of their best, I think. Not completely sure why people liken this and Killers to punk, except it has a very 'no frills' approach as far as composition and sound go. You can imagine them playing in a pub.
That's what is great about these first two albums, the "right out of the pub" sound they have. Compared to NOTB and Bruce's style, it reminded me of some old punk rock acts, although honestly much better than they ever were. Most punk bands don't have guitar solos that are this good.

Ah, that makes sense. I do get the impression NWOBHM and punk drew on a similarly alternative music sort of fan base, although the two scenes didn't think all that much of each other.

I had asked Perun if a general thread for each album had already existed and if I had not seen it.

I thought we had those threads at one time. They should exist, so this is great.

The first two albums are the most varied and experimental. Once Steve figured out what he wanted, stuff like "Strange World" and "Prodigal Son" was never heard again.

I just can't get past this production. If they had Martin Birch, things would've been much much better. I don't find anything lo-fi attractive and that's why it sounds like some metal-punk crossover on several spots. Therefore I only listen to tracks Strange World and Charlotte The Harlot from this album, the rest I pick up on live bootlegs like Reading 1980 where the live setting is captured, providing much needed sonic power original album lacks.

IMHO.

Gotta post this here as well. It's pretty amazing that it's been that long!
N20M2Uu.jpg

Repost from The Duellists: https://www.facebook.com/TheDuellists/posts/1617918168447526

Album Rating - 7.5

No one could have guessed what Iron Maiden would become simply by listening to their debut album. The energy is there, the riffs are occasionally there, but the production is lacking and the lyrics are often sophomoric. But if you dig a little deeper, you’ll find that all of the pieces of Maiden’s signature sound are present on this album - harmonized guitars, thundering bass riffs and fills, and complex, yet upbeat metal songs. The track lengths are shorter, the vocals are raspier, and the lyrics need a lot of work, but all the makings of a mighty, iconic band are here.

Iron Maiden’s debut album is a stunning piece of work. The songs are both workmanlike and surprisingly complex at the same time, most likely thanks to the grounding effect of Di’Anno’s barroom yowl. Nearly every track is rock solid and Phantom of the Opera is perfection. Maiden would go on to bigger and better things, but their debut is brimming with promise and, I’d argue, one of the best metal debut albums of all time.

Here are my overall ratings for the album. (This is more of a note-to-the-future-self)

Prowler: 7
Sanctuary: 4
Remember Tomorrow: 8
Running Free: 4
Phantom of the Opera: 10
Transylvania: 8
Strange World: 7
Charlotte the Harlot: 3
Iron Maiden: 4

Overall: 6.11

I actually like the production on this album a lot, even if it's very un-Maiden compared to later releases. It's fuzzy and has a warm bass sound I really like, it makes it feel a lot more dated than the next album but I like that 70's feeling.

Back