2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil

Van der Vaart injured. Will not go to the World Cup. Especially a personal drama for himself, and even though he had his moments for Oranje, it will probably not be a drama for the squad. He was not fit and there was a possibility that Van Gaal wouldn't have picked him for Brazil anyway. The good thing is that Wijnaldum has more hope to be part of the final 23.

Last edited:
Interesting. :) Let's see if he'll be right!

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-27608788
(check the vid on the site as well)

Professor Stephen Hawking - who has dealt with some of the most complex questions in theoretical physics - reveals to BBC Newsnight his tip that striker Daniel Sturridge will be England's top scorer in this summer's World Cup, ahead of Wayne Rooney.

Professor Hawking told Newsnight: "It's clearly between Rooney and Sturridge. I'm going to say Sturridge. You don't need to be a great mathematician to work this out. If you look at goals per minute in this year's Premier League then Sturridge scores once every 108 minutes, compared to Rooney once every 144 minutes. The ratios were similar last season. In addition to this, I think psychological factors will be on Sturridge's side. He is in the form of his life and Rooney is playing with the albatross of never scoring in the World Cup finals around his neck."

Joachim Löw went with Erik Durm instead of Marcel Schmelzer as the backup left back. Interesting.

Interesting. :) Let's see if he'll be right!

Well, his field of expertice is theoretical physics, so I wouldn't put more weight on his words than on the words of any other intelligent person who also happens to follow football. But the points he make are obviously right - Sturridge has scored more often than Rooney in terms of goals per minute played for their respective clubs. However, Rooney scored 6 goals in 10 games for England last year. And this "albatros around his neck" might also work the other way and make him more determined. We don't know.

But what does it matter which one of them scores more? England will go through from the group stage by a slender margin, and then lose on penalties either in the 1/8 finals or in the quarters :D

Shame. Although it is a big blow, Colombia still have great strikers. Jackson Martinez, Adrian Ramos, Carlos Bacca, Victor Ibarbo. I expected Luis Muriel to make the cut but Teofilo Gutierrez got his place. They're now unlikely to get far, but I think they'll still reach 2nd round.

If Mourinho was Brazil's manager this summer:

aXbOLEg_460sa.gif

You know I don't follow lots of leagues as much as you people (or not even at all these days) but I still thought it would be fun to say it:

Never heard of the guy. Never. Not once.

However, reus is a word in Dutch and it means: giant

Back