Maiden new album in 2014

Do you really consider Wasted Years Power Metal ?
Edit : I had not read the two previous answers before posting mine, but I see we all have the same doubts.

Yeah, I'm making the same face as Ariana.

Although Maiden may have helped spawn the power metal movement, I would not say they have ever released a song that fits that genre. Different elements of their music (be it fantasy lyrics, guitar harmonies, or gallops) have been incorporated into power metal, but there's nothing about Maiden I would call "power metal."

Also, I don't think bands should try to imitate a genre that their original music helped create. Just because blues inspired rock 'n roll, doesn't mean I want to hear Robert Johnson sing "Runaround Sue".

All I'm saying is, Wasted Years sounds IMHO the closest thing to power metal they've ever done. I realize these guys are most likely not thinking of 'genre' when they write music. They really shouldn't be put into a subgenre. I just think it's interesting to so many bands, like a lot of power metal bands i listen to, say Maiden was a big influence. I can see why people would say early power metal, like Keeper of the 7 keys, sounds like a faster version of Iron Maiden. Did i say that already? oh well. And yes, i realize bands like Metallica and so many other metal bands cite them as an influence. I just hear it more in power metal, then say, Master of Puppets.

I never considered Wasted Years to be Power Metal but Deja Vu and Loneliness, in my opinion, come pretty close to being that genre. Mainly because of the drum beat, lots of harmonies and the solos in Loneliness.

Power metal? What are you guys on? These songs lack a lot of power metal ingredients:

• Lyrics about unicorns or medieval heroes, ancient spirits or whatever
  • Double bass drums producing a steady flow of 1/64 notes, while ...
  • ... chords change only once every measure.
Here's an example of what I think of when I hear the word "power metal" - especially the chorus:

Are bands like Omen or Manilla Road power Metal ? Not that I'm very interested in classification, but I love both of them.

Like I said, I think Wasted Years has some Power Metal elements. I'm sure they know what Power Metal is, so it's possible, very possible, that when the song was written Nicko leaned over and said, 'ey steve, daan't this sound loike that power metal?

Maiden's closest album to power metal is Seventh Son. A concept on mystery, death, visions of the future, spirits, ect based on the Novel. Not to mention, the album had a lot of keyboard use, progressive sounding guitars and choruses that audiences could easily sing along to.

Back