Vote For 2013 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

Moon Child

Ancient Mariner
I'm sure alot of you could care less about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame considering they're snubbing alot of great bands that should be in...(I know I don't hardly give a crap anymore..)but for the first time, they're allowing fans to vote who should be in and it just so happens Rush and Deep Purple are up for the vote! There are other good ones in there too like Heart and Joan Jett if you're into them but its obvious who the more important ones are sooo if you're interested, go to the link below to vote:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-inductees-20121004

I believe you can vote multiple times too and Rush is already ahead and Deep Purple in 2nd. Hopefully our voices are finally heard and one of them if not both should go in... if not then I think I'll just shun the Rock Hall forever. Now all we need is to get Maiden in there....

Not sure what they are expecting. With a list like that it's obvious that the top band will be Rush. I voted anyway, somehow I'm always surprised by who's not there. Rush, Deep Purple, Albert King, Joan Jett, Heart, and if I was allowed another vote, Procol Harum. All should've gone in a long time ago.

Voted for Rush, Deep Purple, Heart, Joan Jett & The Blackhearts and Public Enemy. Hopefully next year the inductees will be Maiden, Priest and Motörhead.

But
The top five acts will comprise a "fan's ballot" that will count as one of the more than 600 ballots that determine the Class Of 2013.
so our votes won't make much of a change...

I just read about Albert King because until a couple of minutes ago I've never heard of the man.

Now I do.

Its just crazy and it boggles the mind on how the Rock Hall works. There are way too many bands like Rush and Purple and Maiden for that matter, who should have been entered in way long ago. There's also people in there that SHOULDN'T be in there either....

I just read about Albert King because until a couple of minutes ago I've never heard of the man.

Now I do.
I brought him up in jazz class today, and had a bit of discussion about him. One of the greats.

I really like this:

I've always wondered what the criteria are (if there are any), and how consequent these criteria were used over the years.

Does someone have a complete list of artists in the hall? I'd like to see which artists are missing.
EDIT: Cheers Mosh, I'll check it soon.

I'd be scared to see the huge list of artists NOT entered in yet.....

EDIT: Wait, let me fix that. The artists that SHOULD be in but haven't been entered yet. I'd hate to see THAT list.

@Mosh: check this out, you might like it: http://beta.musicradar.com/news/guitars/robert-cray-10-guitarists-i-enjoy-listening-to-557576/2

Robert Cray: 10 guitarists I enjoy listening to / The blues master on faves and influences

As you might remember from the jazz topic, I really like Grant Green a lot. Robert Cray mentions both Green and Albert King! :)

Oh cool! That was a fun read. I need to listen to more jazz guitarists. I'm only really familiar with John Scofield, Pat Matheny, Wes Montgomery and George Benson. This is probably more suited for the Jazz topic (that needs a revival anyway) but what albums do you recommend from Grant Green?

Deep Purple's gonna get inducted because of Jon Lord's passing. I wonder what made them finally consider Rush.

Voted Deep Purple, Heart, Albert King, N.W.A, and Rush.

Poor Donna Summer. How many times has she been nominated? I feel like I always see her name.

My introduction to Albert King was Gary Moore's Still Got the Blues album.
He was Moore's idol and I think he played on a couple tracks, including a tribute called King of the Blues.
Definitely an album worth checking out for metal heads interested in Blues guitar.

I wonder what made them finally consider Rush.
Probably their latest album which is considerably better than previous efforts. But Rush could have been considered a few decades ago already.

Oh cool! That was a fun read. I need to listen to more jazz guitarists. I'm only really familiar with John Scofield, Pat Matheny, Wes Montgomery and George Benson. This is probably more suited for the Jazz topic (that needs a revival anyway) but what albums do you recommend from Grant Green?
I'll think a bit longer about that, Mosh. It's hard to pick one immediately. He played on so many albums, also as a sideman. Benson was into Green as well. Meanwhile you might want to check this out:
http://biography.jrank.org/pages/2963/Green-Grant.html

A few quotes:

Although Grant Green recorded more than 100 albums, including 30 as the group leader, his career was overshadowed by more successful jazz guitarists, particularly Wes Montgomery and George Benson. Known for his clear, single-note, melodic style of playing with a pick, Green avoided the chords and octaves favored by his contemporaries and was renowned for his unique tone. He was a major force in the evolution of the guitar as a lead instrument and he influenced a generation of guitar players including Carlos Santana, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and George Benson himself.

Guitarist George Benson told Sharony Green: "People were always all over Grant. He was an icon…. Guitar players were trying to learn what his secret was, and there were people in general who just loved his groove. Grant made the guitar come alive and sing…. Only he could do it like that."

Just like Foro compulsively defends No Prayer for the Dying whenever somebody says it's not his favourite album, I compulsively post this whenever something about this hall of fame is posted:

I've never regarded the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame as being of any sort of significance. None at all. It's something that plays absolutely no role in my view on rock music. And it probably wouldn't be even if the inclusion of artists was more objective. In my opinion, any sort of Hall of Fame is just a premise for pointless, hour-long pub arguments that lie somewhere between what the best beer is and whether you prefer blondes or brunettes.

In other words: It all comes down to a matter of taste. You cannot assess the significance of a band objectively.

I could argue, for example, that I think Venom should be inducted in the Hall of Fame. Venom are a very old band, and they have laid the groundstone to the entire genre of Black Metal. However, the next person could say that Black Metal is either just a subgenre of Extreme Metal (and that Extreme Metal itself is just a subgenre of Heavy Metal), or that it is in fact not music but noise, and that a band that founded a genre of so little significance to the rock world as a whole needn't be regarded. We would get into a heated argument about originality vs artistry, and in the end none of us would win and nothing would have changed. To me, this entire Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame thing is all about that and nothing else.

Canadian rock legends RUSH were announced as one of next year's inductees into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame on Tuesday, along with PUBLIC ENEMY, HEART, Randy Newman, Donna Summer and Albert King. Summer, who passed away this May, and King, who died in 1992, will earn the honor posthumously. Lou Adler and Quincy Jones will both receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers.

"It's a terrific honor and we'll show up smiling," RUSH's singer and bassist, Geddy Lee, tells RollingStone.com. "It made my mom happy, so that's worth it." Lee is especially happy for RUSH's army of hardcore fans. "It was a cause they championed," he says. "I'm very relieved for them and we share this honor with them, for sure."

Someone told me that the RNRHOF was gonna be in Los Angeles this time instead of Cleveland. I can't be arsed to check, so is it true?

Back