Bruce Dickinson Survivor 2012, Results thread - Joint Winners!

Satisfied with the results?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters
I heard Bruce's rendition of All The Young Dudes years before Mott the Hoople's. I still prefer Bruce's version as that's what I'm used to, and I think it is a good song.

I found this album when I was pretty big into Glam Metal, so I was really into it, and there are still a lot of songs that I like. I think it's a bit underrated, better than both of the albums Bruce did with Maiden in the 90's, I think. And he handles that raspy voice better.

To speed things up, Unknown could just as well eliminate all songs apart from the first three. What a difference with the rest!

Son of a Gun
Tattooed Millionaire
Born in '58

Which o which two will survive?

Tattooed Millionaire is by far the best song in the album. I don't think that any of the rest would go far, especially when they eventually face the masterpieces of Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding.

Great song indeed. But I also have something with Son of a Gun. Certainly his best vocals on the album. And such a beautiful calm beginning: what a breathtaking and original way to start an album. :notworthy:
Born in '58 is rather strong as well. Could be quite a battle.

(To be honest I don't think any of these songs come far. 1 quarter and 1 semi final: end station)

Tattooed Millionaire is a great album. It's just incredibly inferior to every album he's made since. I know tons of people who think this is Bruce's best album ever, and I simply will never be able to comprehend that. Then again, I'm a huge Skunkworks fan.

I think Born in '58 barely edges out Son of a Gun as best of the album. It's one of the most heartfelt songs Bruce has ever done. However Son of a Gun is indeed breathtaking. Bruce has always had killer opening numbers. But everything about Son of a Gun... the melodies, the lyrics, the dynamics... it's definitely one of my favorite opening tracks ever. I do prefer Cyclops, though, but that just shows how incredible Cyclops is.

Even though I agree that the first three tracks are the best tracks on the album, I kind of wanna see how Darkness Be My Friend and All the Young Dudes finish. :)

I think I'd have to go with '58 too.
The others are excellent, but there are better epics than Son, and better anthems than Millionnaire.
There is nothing else like '58.
And the gap between these three and the rest of this album is huge.

@Unknown One or anyone else who knows this:
What do the rules say about the moment the next album comes in?
When 10 tracks are left from the previous albums(s)?

@Unknown One or anyone else who knows this:
What do the rules say about the moment the next album comes in?
When 10 tracks are left from the previous albums(s)?

Yeah, that's how I do things, as soon as 10 songs are left at any point in time, no more songs are eliminated and the next batch of songs join. I'll always tiebreak according to how many votes songs get in previous rounds although I will take both Gypsy Road and No Lies (leaving us with 9) as there's no possible way to tiebreak here. Seeing that both songs got 60% of votes, I'm sure not too many people will complain... :p

Cheers :)

In case people are interested, here follow the Top 10 Bruce Dickinson Survivor results from the past (but there were no or hardly any b-sides competing):
II (2010):

1 Book Of Thel
2 Darkside Of Aquarius
3 Jerusalem
4 Silver Wings
5 Chemical Wedding
6 The Tower
7 The Alchemist
8 Navigate The Seas Of The Sun
9 Omega
10 King In Crimson

I (2009):
1 Book Of Thel
2 Darkside Of Aquarius
3 Omega
4 Chemical Wedding
5 Tears Of The Dragon
6 King In Crimson
7 The Tower
8 Accident Of Birth
9 Jerusalem
10 Silver Wings

Everything except these:
Son Of A Gun
Tattooed Millionaire
Born In '58
No Lies

Gypsy Road (10), Lickin' the Gun (14), Zulu Lulu (13), Ballad of Mutt (11) are eliminated. No Lies was saved by the bell. Balls to Picasso has joined the battle!

I think I got all the B sides for Balls (and well tbh I'm not entirely sure if all the ones I added were all actual B sides and the like). If I've made a mistake, then just let me know.

Results
Tattooed Millionaire
11. Gypsy Road (0)
12. Ballad of Mutt (0)
13. Zulu Lulu (0)
14 Lickin' the Gun (0)

Whoa, so many songs, and Balls is such a different, experimental album, especially when all the bonus tracks are included. I'm going to dump the rest of Millionaire beyond the big three, cut three Balls bonus tracks and three Balls album tracks that have never grabbed me and give the rest of that album a careful listen

@Unknown One: Spirit of Joy is a cover (didn't know it either, I just noticed it on wiki and YouTube)

1. Hell on Wheels
  2. All the Young Dudes
  3. Winds of Change
  4. Fire Child
  5. Sprirt and Joy
  6. Over and Out
  7. Tibet
  8. Cadillac Gas Mask
  9. I also wanted to vote for Dive! Dive! Dive! but I forgot to select it)
@Mckindog: that careful listen is much appreciated. I hope more people will do this, because Balls really got under the radar since Bruce's later output. Lots of interesting songs left (a few awesome b-sides included).

Hell On Wheels
No Lies
Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
Elvis Has Left the Building (even though it has fantastic lyrics)
Spirit of Joy

Tibet escapes by the skin of its teeth because I love that guitar in the middle so much.

Balls and Skunkworks were such a cool time for Bruce. So much experimentation and so many different sounds.

Wheels
Dive
Dude
No Lies
Slaughter
Winds
Darkness
Fire Child
Elvis
Spirit
O & O
Tibet
Cadillac

Are we not doing The Post Alternative Seattle Fallout?

Balls is an awesome album. So many underrated gems, and those songs really came to life live. And the sound is so unique, lots of great stuff. It'll be awhile before I vote for anything from this album, besides Fire.

Bring Your Daughter
Winds of Change
Darkness
Fire
Fire Child
Elvis
Spirit and Joy
Tibet
Cadillac Gas Mask

I was not a big fan of Balls to Picasso when it was new, but at has really grown on me over the years.
I know the original ten tracks extremely well, but the B sides not as much.
I like them, but I need a refresher to see how they fit in.

Hell On Wheels
Dive! Dive! Dive!
All The Young Dudes
No Lies
Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
Winds Of Change
Darkness Be My Friend
Fire Child
Elvis Has Left The Building
Spirit And Joy
Over And Out
Tibet