All albums up to Seventh Son being re-released on picture disc

There are some contradictions in these pros and cons (pro3 vs con4 and con3 vs con4), but here we go. :)

pro:
1. They look cool
2. They enlarge your collection
3. They contain awesome music (you already have the music, but vinyl sounds better)

con:
1. They are not authentic (not as cool as the original picture discs)
2. They are pretty expensive
3. The sound quality is (a little) inferior than black vinyl
4. They don't get played anyway

Another option: Just buy one or two. :)

My thought would be to buy one or two of the first batch to see if they are good. I will by LAD for sure (my record has a decent scratch on it during Revalations).

I would say if you want to buy them at any time, I would get them when they come out. Getting them a year or two down the line will surely mean paying more.

Depends if you already have loads of Maiden records or not. If not, why but these new versions? Why not just go and buy the first picture discs, or something more interesting like the First Ten Years boxset (--which you could get for less.)

I'd buy them because they look very awesome, and because I love to play vinils at my grandma's house because she's got an awesome stereo hehe... And about second hand vinils, yes they are very cheap. For example I bought Heaven and Hell for 50 pesos (like 4 dollars). Also its cool to play them when you are with your friends (if they like maiden of course)

1. They are not authentic (not as cool as the original picture discs)

Mind that only four 12" picture discs were originally released:

The Number Of The Beast (UK, USA)
Piece Of Mind (only in the USA with 'World Piece Tour' Eddie, so not 'authentic')
Powerslave (UK)
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (UK, Italy)

All other records were not released as picture discs. Only bootleg picture discs of them are available.

Aha, good to know! Only four and not Somewhere in Time? Doesn't make sense, even if it's true.

But I assume that when you say "all other records" that you mean 1980s albums only.
I have several 12" picture disc singles and they are original for sure.

Aha, good to know! Only four and not Somewhere in Time? Doesn't make sense, even if it's true.

But I assume that when you say "all other records" that you mean 1980s albums only.
I have several 12" picture disc singles and they are original for sure.

Yes, I'm talking about the eight 80's albums, not the 12" picture singles. 'No Prayer For The Dying' was released as a picture disc as well in 1990.

'Somewhere In Time' is only available as a bootleg picture disc, that's for sure!

Cheers for the info.

You're welcome. So buying these new picture discs in proper gatefold covers is well worth in my mind, because they are finally going to be available officially. And as you can see from the advertising picture, they have awesome pictures of singles on their flip sides.

For a collector like me there's no way of getting around them.

I somehow got my hands Maiden picture discs yesterday and I saw 'somehow' because I had no idea they were picture discs when I bought the album. I happened to come across new two-disc vinyl of Somewhere Back in Time: The Best of 1980 - 1989. When I got it, I noticed it was heavier than most vinyl but I thought it was just because it was two-discs. When I got home, I discovered they were picture discs! Needless to say, I was pretty excited. I tried one out and I could tell the sound was a bit different and it tells you to play the discs on 33 RPMs for obvious reasons. I had no idea they had other picture discs out other than the ones mentioned on here.

I somehow got my hands Maiden picture discs yesterday and I saw 'somehow' because I had no idea they were picture discs when I bought the album. I happened to come across new two-disc vinyl of Somewhere Back in Time: The Best of 1980 - 1989. When I got it, I noticed it was heavier than most vinyl but I thought it was just because it was two-discs. When I got home, I discovered they were picture discs! Needless to say, I was pretty excited. I tried one out and I could tell the sound was a bit different and it tells you to play the discs on 33 RPMs for obvious reasons. I had no idea they had other picture discs out other than the ones mentioned on here.
As far as I know, they release most of the new stuff as picture discs. Somewhere Back In Time, Flight 666, The Final Frontier, En Vivo, From Fear to Eternity... And probably more, I don't remember ;)

As far as I know, they release most of the new stuff as picture discs. Somewhere Back In Time, Flight 666, The Final Frontier, En Vivo, From Fear to Eternity... And probably more, I don't remember ;)
Thats what I kind of figured but I wasn't sure. It just came as a surprise and a good one at that :D.

Thanks for the info :).

Here's something I've always wondered - does playing the LP extensively cause wearing of the picture disc, i.e. can the picture get scratched out over time because of the needle?

You would have to scratch it up pretty bad to damage the picture. Normally playing will have no noticable effect.

I'm undecided whether I want to buy these. Could the kind people at Maidenfans please give me 5 arguments for and against to help me decide? Thank you.

Picture discs do have better sound now then they used to. They used to be total crap, they are still not as good as black vinyl (IMO), but they have come a long way.

I have never heard a picture disc that sounds good. The reason to buy vinyl is because you are an audiophile and you think vinyl sounds better (i.e., "warmer, richer," etc.). But if that is the case, then you will go for black vinyl, not picture vinyl, which distorts the sound in my experience. I'll stick with my original 80s vinyls, thanks very much.

You'd be better off saving your money and investing in used original vinyl or original CD releases. The 1998 "enhanced" CD remasters that are currently in print sound like ass. Go online and get the original late-80's CD releases, and note how much better the original CDs sound. Softer, yes, but turn them up and they sound a lot better.

Well you can buy picture vinyls only because of the looks, and because is kinda retro and awesome play them. I'd suggest you to buy them if you really liked the artwork and if you don't have any of those albums in vinyl already... Im planning to buy TNOB picture vinyl, looks so cool

Mind that only four 12" picture discs were originally released:

The Number Of The Beast (UK, USA)
Piece Of Mind (only in the USA with 'World Piece Tour' Eddie, so not 'authentic')
Powerslave (UK)
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son (UK, Italy)

All other records were not released as picture discs. Only bootleg picture discs of them are available.
Greetings, Cosmiceddie I would like to know if this Killers is bootleg, I've seen it before (in my hands) and it is very well print-presented (not hear the pressing)
Killers USA 1998 Sanctuary Metal-is 88697 02381 1-l1
Thank you so much for the info, and I want to know if there is an exhaustive list of legitimate and pirates vinyl pressings on the web.
here a link to see the picture: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MAIDEN...0081864?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2a22a84e48

Greetings, Cosmiceddie I would like to know if this Killers is bootleg, I've seen it before (in my hands) and it is very well print-presented (not hear the pressing)
Killers USA 1998 Sanctuary Metal-is 88697 02381 1-l1
Thank you so much for the info, and I want to know if there is an exhaustive list of legitimate and pirates vinyl pressings on the web.
here a link to see the picture: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IRON-MAIDEN...0081864?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item2a22a84e48

I doubt that it is an official release. Why should, in the USA at that, a 'Killers' picture disc be released 17 years after the official vinyl edition? By the way, there's also another USA 1998 'The Number Of The Beast' picture disc released by the same 'company'.

However, I'm not dead sure whether it's a bootleg or not. It might be official, but it's hard to tell because nowadays it's pretty easy to release very professional looking stuff.

Back