All albums up to Seventh Son being re-released on picture disc

UpTheIrons

Ancient Mariner
From the IM Facebook page:

A series of special limited edition IRON MAIDEN vinyl picture disc albums are due to be released by EMI starting in October 2012. Comprised of the first eight albums of Maiden’s career, all released in the 1980’s, each picture disc will be packaged in a gatefold sleeve with full colour printed inner bags and the heavyweight vinyl will be cut from the original album master tapes.

The albums will be released chronologically between October and February, starting with ‘Iron Maiden’ and ‘Killers’ on 15 October 2012 followed by ‘The Number Of The Beast’ and ‘Piece Of Mind’ in November 2012.

To open the new year ‘Powerslave’ and the double album ‘Live After Death’ will be released in January, with the final two titles, ‘Somewhere In Time’ and ‘Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son’ coming out in February 2013.

These vinyl picture discs are being released to commemorate IRON MAIDEN’s current Maiden England tour which comprises largely 80’s material, in particular focussing on the ‘Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son’ album.

IM pictude disc.jpg

From the IM Facebook page:

These vinyl picture discs are being released to commemorate IRON MAIDEN’s current Maiden England tour which comprises largely 80’s material, in particular focussing on the ‘Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son’ album.

Oh BS, they are being released because there is always money to be had from collectors.

I got the "From Fear to Eternity" pictures discs, and all of those albums in cd... Though I would surely buy Seventh Son, TNOB, LAD and Piece of Mind, they look so awesome

Two of us :p
Good. I have never understood why people like to buy music on a format that was outdated when I was a baby. Ok, the picture discs look cool but it's a lot of money to throw at albums which I bet you already own on CD and digitally. And how easy is it to buy a record player these days? And what if it needs repaired? How often will these discs actually be used? You can't even stick these things in a computer!

I'll stick with CDs thanks.

As a Vinyl fan ... record players are pretty easy to find (Best Buy even sells them), they generally do not need repair beyond a needle replacement, which is a do it yourself kind of deal and I play mine all the time at home ... when not at home ... it is MP3s and Spotify for me. I have the original versions of these records on vinyl, but will probably buy these ... I would not consider myself a record collector (I buy them to play, not to look at), but Maiden is probably the exception just because they have released some really cool records (from picture disks, to shaped picture disks, the singles, etc).

I started buying vinyl last year. I don't buy them too often, but I like the sound and all that goes with it. Used vinyl is also dirt cheap.

I was planning on getting these until i saw the prices, £20 per album, £30 for Live After Death. Now of course its just my opinion that these are WAY over priced. When i got A Matter Of Life & Death it was €14.99 (im in Ireland) and it was a double lp picture disc. So £20 plus £5-6 postage will bring each album up to approx €35 and LAD will be closer to €50.
Its a pity because i would have bought all of them if they were fairly priced.:(

Good. I have never understood why people like to buy music on a format that was outdated when I was a baby. Ok, the picture discs look cool but it's a lot of money to throw at albums which I bet you already own on CD and digitally. And how easy is it to buy a record player these days? And what if it needs repaired? How often will these discs actually be used? You can't even stick these things in a computer!

I'll stick with CDs thanks.

There are several reasons why you would do this.

First of all, second hand record players are actually readily available and can be quite cheap. These usually stem from an era when technology was built to last. At least I have a hi-fi system from the late sixties, and it still works ace. Record players are easy to fix when broken, because as bearfan noted it's usually only about needle replacement, which is easy to do and needles are also readily available. A broken record player is fixable. A broken CD player usually goes to the dumps.

Next, second hand vinyl is also very cheap. When I was starting to collect music, I was mostly getting old vinyl from second hand stores, because these usually cost a fraction from what a new CD cost.

Finally, you will very often find the case from audiophiles that vinyl sounds better. I don't know about that, but I've seen many people analyse this point for point ever since I got interested in music, so I suppose they will be right.

Picture discs however, are a cash in. They have inferior sound quality to normal vinyl, and never get played anyway. People only buy them because they look so neat.

Picture discs do have better sound now then they used to. They used to be total crap, they are still not as good as black vinyl (IMO), but they have come a long way.

I'm undecided whether I want to buy these. Could the kind people at Maidenfans please give me 5 arguments for and against to help me decide? Thank you.

Back