DIO

No. That riff sounds like 2 Minutes to Midnight. Otherwise, you're disrespecting Adrian Smith, the man who invented riffs. :ninja:

OK, never heard that one before, perhaps the closest connection to 2MTM...

Also, Janick was in that band, if I remember right, but I don't know in which period...

2 Minutes to Midnight sounds a bit like both, but in different ways.

In terms of rhythmic feel and how the drums join in, it has most in common with Stand Up And Shout. The chord progression is different, though.

In terms of chord progression, it is almost a direct copy of Midnight Chaser. But 2MTM is phrased differently.

Black Thunder said:
Also, Janick was in that band, if I remember right, but I don't know in which period...

Eh, alright:

Midnight Chaser -> 1980
Srand Up and Shout -> 1983
2 Minutes to Midnight -> 1984

I think 2 Minutes sounds way more like Chaser than Stand Up and Shout.

So do I. They are almost identical. Well I learned Stand Up and Shout on guitar and the only similarity is the palm muted A's. Even the rhythms are different. Stand Up And Shout is C and B chords, while 2 Minutes is G and A chords.

Any audiophiles out there may be interested in learning that Holy Diver is getting the "gold cd" remastering treatment from the original master tapes: http://www.audiofidelity.net/content/dioholy-diver. These guys at Audio Fidelity do a pretty nice job -- I bought the reissues of the Deep Purple Mark 2 albums that Audio Fidelity did a year or two ago, and they sound great. I still have the original Holy Diver vinyl from the early 80's which also sounds great.

I certainly will be getting this. I hope they do one of Last in Line too.

My favourites are:

Dream Evil - best songs Dream Evil, Naked in the Rain, All the Fools Sailed Away.
Sacred Heart - best songs Sacred Heart (nbr 1 Dio song), Rock'n'Roll Children.
Lock Up the Wolves - best songs Born On the Sun, Hey Angel and My Eyes (stunning) and guitarist Rowan Robertson was only 18!
Master of the Moon - best songs Master of the Moon, The Man Who Would Be King and The Eyes.

I never cared much for Dio's first two albums, particularly The Last in Line, but both title tracks are definitely immense.

Thanks, mckindog.

Two be things come to mind:
1- Too bad they never ended their fight when Dio was still alive
2- I agree with every word Campbell says. People tend to forget his contributions. For me, he was the man on those albums. And one of my favourite guitar players of the scene. He had a rare kind of inventive and melodic approach. It sounds classic because his stuff is on classic albums, but I think he was quite modern, especially for those days. I am one of the guys who says "Man, that solo in Rainbow in the Dark".

Coming back to something you said 4 hours earlier:
And Campbell=douche.
Still of the same opinion after you read his explanation?

That's a tough one.

Three things gave me that opinion:
1) He's spent the past 25 years pissing on his musical legacy with Dio. His work on Diver is stunning and your description of why is perfect. Yet prior to that article he's always treated it — and the metal genre in general — with disdain. He basically said that's not art, that's shit — something I did to make money. As a huge fan, it's tough not feel personally disrespected.
2) He's squandered his talent in a background role in the soulless corporation that is Def Leppard. At times he's alluded to the music as not being satisfying, but the paycheque being good. That makes it pretty tough to respect him as an artist.
3) The shit he talked about Ronnie went over the top. He could never articulate it very well beyond name-calling, but as near as I can piece together, their dispute was as simple as this: he wanted to be an equal partner in the income from Dio (the band), and perhaps in the music as well. Ronnie said "no." Campbell's frustration was understandable, but it's not as though Ronnie stole from him, or changed the rules. If he was so stifled as an artist, why the hell is he in Def Leppard? If it was purely business, why not be more professional? But his response was to throw a 25-year tantrum and slag Ronnie at every opportunity. My 13-year-old daughter shows more emotional maturity.

I want to believe Campbell is finally realizing how he was wasting his time wallowing in bitterness, and that his former "hatred" for the music was actually just a defense mechanism to deal with his guilt and frustration over his departure from the band. I believe in redemption and I hope this is what is happening here.
However, his track record could also suggest this is simply another cash grab from a mercenary dickhead.

If I fail to give him the benefit of the doubt, am I just using common sense? Or am I also guilty of being a douche?

Don't know. I just can't believe someone gets so bitter out of nothing. He was fired and treated with small or no honour by Dio. That hurts. So we can judge Campbell and Dio by what they have said, but we can also judge them by what they have done.

The Def Leppard stuff doesn't have much to with the Dio/Campbell story imo. And is he a douchebag because he plays music I don't like? Mwah.

I don't see anything wrong with Dio taking a bigger cut. That's how it works - The band name rides on his previous efforts and I'm quite positive that Dio put money in the band to begin with. And besides, that's probably how Rainbow worked anyway and I haven't seen Dio whine about that.

I mean, they all get the different royalties that they have earned from the songwriting (assuming everybody's credited when credit is due. Anthony of VH got credited without even writing, to split the music publishing evenly)and the record sales- That's even outside Dio's control. What he controlled was probably the touring earnings, and that's likely what he staked his own money in. Otherwise they would've have to borrow money from the record company, and you'd likely end up earning way less than if you put your own money in. So it's only natural that you take a bigger cut if you're the one taking the financial risks. Business is business.

In other news: Dio at Donington double CD is amazing. Annoying though that they only play short stints of several Rainbow songs. Bunch of teasers. :p

So I've also discovered the amazing Ronnie James Dio since following Iron Maiden these past few months (thanks pandora for putting Dio on). I have heard just a handful of songs but I absolutely love him as a vocalist. He is very similar to Bruce Dickinson IMO. They both seem to have the best howls in 80s metal. I don't know how someone could like Iron Maiden but not Dio, and vice versa. They're similar yet different enough to not feel like Dio is an IM ripoff.

I also then discovered that RJD was the Black Sabbath vocalist for two albums and that Heaven and Hell album always seems to have Sabbath's best songs when they come on pandora. Sorry I'm young (27) and many of these songs were well before I was even born haha.

Can anyone help to guide a Dio newbie to the promised land of this cool, medieval themed band. How awesome is that, a medieval band.

I've heard Holy Diver, Rainbow in the Dark, Neon Knights (Sabbath), The Last in Line. They're all excellent songs. The RJD tribute album, this is your life, seems promising too. The Antrax and Killswitch Engage covers are excellent stuff.

seem rather light and middle-of-the-road to me. Am I wrong?

If you think the DIO stuff you've heard is too "light" or the 80s DIO is too cheesy (yes, it can be) I would definitely recommend checking out Strange Highways. It is probably the heaviest album he's done. Maybe he was inspired by the metal bands that was around in the 90s at the time.....

Can anyone help to guide a Dio newbie to the promised land of this cool, medieval themed band. How awesome is that, a medieval band.

Medieval themed? Huh? When?

Honestly, if you're new to Dio just go get all of the classic albums from Rainbow, Sabbath and his solo career and start your journey there.

Albums to get:

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell
Black Sabbath - The Mob Rules

Dio - Holy Diver
Dio - The Last in Line
Dio - Dream Evil
Dio - Master of the Moon

Rainbow - Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Rainbow - Rising
Rainbow - Long Live Rock 'n' Roll

Back