The Pilgrim

How good is The Pilgrim on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: The Pilgrim

Very good main riff, but the chorus could've been better... Overall, it gets 8/10.

Beautiful song. Janick wrote the lyrics and they are pretty decent.
“The Pilgrim”, which’s lyrics are written by Janick, is about the Crusades and the pilgrims of the Holy Land. (source)

The Pilgrim has darker colours as well, even if the pace is not slowing down. Take that Arabic interlude after every chorus, enriched with an atmospheric layer of keyboards. Works really well.

Bruce's harmonies are nice, but especially Janick's solo deserves special mention:

Like the interludes, this outstanding solo also has some "Middle East"-touch. Just listen how awesome this build-up is, there are so many notes, played with aggression and still containing interesting twists. I really like that piercing high sharp note (in this clip @ 3.19).

That last long vocal by Bruce is golden, when his echo times perfectly with the switch of modus in the music.

Last edited:

'The Pilgrim' has nice vocal melodies and an epic chorus. What I don't like are the intro and the outro. Somehow they don't fit the rest of the song. (8/10)

I don't like this song much at all. The only really good part is the bit after the chorus but besides that, meh. 5/10

Underrated song, the Eastern sounding riff is one of my favorites and I like the solo. 9/10.

When compared against most other reunion-era rockers The Pilgrim's chorus is fantastic as is its pre-chorus. I love it how the intro/outro is the menu music on AMOLAD's bonus dvd..shows the boys really dig it. I've never loved the middle-eastern solo but after Forostar's crusader explanation that could change.

8, great melodies, one of better rockers from 00's.

7/10. Yeah, it's OK. Possibly the weakest track on the album.

Black Thunder said:
Pretty good. Gets in the level with "The Prisoner", good lyrics.

I agree with the Prisoner-level, which is why I gave it a 10. I think this song is incredibly catchy yet complex (the octave harmony is quite interesting, which is odd because I normally tend to find that lazy), and this one definitely qualifies as one that I've been stuck on for a while. I think it fits in perfectly with the rest of AMOLAD, as well, in that it breaks up the longer songs while still retaining much of the same feel. If this song had been on BNW, it definitely would have been even stronger (brighter than a thousand Nomads, IMHO), but I think it suffers in many eyes from being bracketed by so many perfect songs. Plus, if it's about the crusades, it's definitely got a crusade/Arabic feel to it. What else can I say, some songs "stick" and some don't and this one burrowed in there.

8/10. This tune never did much for me initially, but over time I've grown to appreciate it, especially Bruce's vocal. A good rocker, but not spectacular...

A decent song that I like, don’t love. Nothing really remarkable about it. Can’t say I’ve ever went out of my to skip it, but I’ve never gone out of my way to play it either. Kind of the definition of a six.

Like The Mercenary on Brave New World, Montsegur on Dance of Death and The Alchemist on The Final Frontier, this is an average rocker that doesn't do very much other than rock and does little impact. Nevertheless, this is a notch up from the others and is actually fairly memorable. The chorus is quite engaging in its own way. The weakest song on the album, which doesn't say very much, though. 7/10.

Great song, not one of the best on the album but it is still very solid stuff. 8/10.

7/10- Not a bad song but the weakest on the album for me.  But it needs to be there to sort of break up the run of epics.  It was a great live track. 

Give this one a 6.  It's not a bad song, but is is not special either.  For the most part I tend to skip it.

8. I like the way Bruce sings thoughtout the song, the arabian motif serves well to the lyrical themes, supposedly penned by Jan; I like when Maiden do songs with great 2 choruses like on this one. The song has revealed itself better and better as time went by. Still got it on my mp3 player.

Back