Bring Your Daughter… …To the Slaughter

How good is Bring Your Daughter... ...To the Slaughter on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Bring Your daughter...' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'bring Your Daughter... ...to The Slaughter'

since this song was written for Bruce's solo project, it has a surprisingly strong maiden feel to it that makes you just think that its maiden, and not from anything else. the fact that it was written for Nightmare on elm street 5 is pretty cool. though that is my least favorite nightmare on elm street movie, i love the series and its pretty cool that Maiden has an interest in it too. Though the lyrics don't exactly spell out 'freddy kreuger' you can see some themes incorperated into the feel of the Nightmare on elm street movies.

I don't know, this song feels somewhat awkward. To me it sounds rather happy, apart from Bruce's voice and the lyrics of course. And the chorus is just... well, complete crap.

I'm the only one who voted best [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
This is a great song and very unique for Maiden (although it similair to Be quike or be dead) because it's so raw and aggressive, and therefore it deserves a high rating

Three and a half. Compared to most Maiden songs this one may seem weaker. But I really like the drive, the solos, even Bruce singing. And the video.

Forgive me but this kind of argumentation
[!--QuoteBegin-Uwe+Aug 23 2004, 11:58 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Uwe @ Aug 23 2004, 11:58 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]To me it sounds rather happy...
[snapback]84218[/snapback]​
[/quote]
just outrages me.

A decent warm up song with good chorus but not really a classic. I don't know how this got to number 1!

[!--quoteo(post=95254:date=Jan 5 2005, 02:26 PM:name=Djaser)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Djaser @ Jan 5 2005, 02:26 PM) [snapback]95254[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I'm the only one who voted best [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":D\" border=\"0\" alt=\"biggrin.gif\" /]
[/quote]

Not anymore [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

I'm a big fan of the moments where Maiden does something completely campy like this (I hate that word but it's all I could think of). Well, on second thought not all the time, but when they do it right (like Chains of Misery, Hooks in You to a lesser extent) the results are great. I think Maiden needs to drop the serious proggy mode they're in right now and just write some fun stuff like this.

But I will agree that the lyrics are lacking. In parts.

Daily Song: Bring Your Daughter... ...To the Slaughter

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Bring Your Daughter... ...To the Slaughter

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

You know, my opinion of this song goes up and down. It's a great live rocker, it really is. It's a cover. It's rather offensive, and the music is fairly simple. But I still bob my head when I hear it. Currently, its a high 6, so I'll round up for a 7.

Re: Daily Song: Bring Your Daughter... ...To the Slaughter

While it’s better musically than the similar Holy Smoke, or Hooks, those dumb lyrics and raspy vocals weigh the good parts down. The song typifies why this album, for the most part, missed the mark. Put Daughter beside Prowler or Iron Maiden and it matches up fairly well. But that was a different time and a different band. I don’t want my 30-something musical heroes to sound 18. I like the song, but the band can do so much better. Six.

4. One of Maiden's worst. Sometimes, it's fun to listen, but overall, it's pretty AC/DCish which never really grabbed me. Cool Janick solo in studio - live is always a sonic mess of shit - and the choir before getting back to the chorus is pretty cool, too.

I don't know why, but there is something about this song that I really like. It hasn't got the musical or lyrical class as other Maiden songs, but let's be honest: That is not always needed. This is just a bloody rocking song, it's fun, it's energetic, it's driving, it just plain rocks. And sometimes, that is all that's needed. 9/10.

Simple and fun, it's effective and yeah it does rock. Good live, but there are much better songs in this mould. 6/10

3/10. Why? I dunno, it sounds really stupid. It gives off a stupid vibe, and it's jsut stupid.

How's that for a review?

Yeah, it's stupid, but it's also fun, and it would probably be fairly good live.  My opinion also goes up and down, but currently, it's up, so a fair 7 it gets.

Pretty much lacks in everything, if you ask me...  <_<

I dunno... 5/10 will work.

5/10 it's never been one of my favorites.  I do kinda dig the eerie chords over the versus, but the rest is just too plain and uninteresting for Maiden.

Wembley Arena 18th December 1990:

"We're going to release this as a single on Christmas Eve to scare the living daylights out of Cliff Richard...". So says Bruce. Well, Sir Cliff was, at the time, hell bent on trying to make every Christmas a number one single for him (as does Simon Cowell, at the moment).

The timing of this release was so perfect to make sure it knocked the man of his perch and so Maiden had their number one. What was Cliff's song? "On a Saviours Day" (I think) outsold the following week by "Bring Your Daughter to the Slaughter...." :D

8/10.

The fact that this song has been played on SEVERAL tours is beyond me. Embarassing in all regards except for that sweet Riggs cover. 1pt for Eddie taking hold of Jessica Rabbit.

Ever witnessed it live? Very nice actually. Played faster and it certainly gets the crowd going. I am doubting about the grade, still (will review later).

I'll rate this pretty much the same as for Hooks In You. The lyrics are just as stupid, but the music is a little more catchy and the vocals a little less cringeworthy. Actually I think I'll give a six. Decent, but not really good by Maiden standards. It may be the slivovic talking (yes, when on a conference in Eastern Europe, of course there is slivovic on the first night  :p )

Back