Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

How good is Brighter Than A Thousand Suns on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
These Colours Don

If a US invasion had been supported by heavy air raids like in Germany, I doubt they would have needed such a high numeric superiority. The US had a good number of advantages over Japan, including constant support from an intact weapons industry and high morale (I just doubt all those stories of the entire Japanese population being ready to fight till death), as well as loyal allies if things would turn really ugly. However, I believe the American government wanted to end the war as quickly as possible to avoid further risks, further bloodshed and -something that is often disregarded- increase of Soviet influence in the far east like it happened in Europe. After the Hiroshima bomb was dropped, the Soviets invaded Mandshuria, and they would have gotten a lot further had the Japanese continued to fight for just one or two months.

These Colours Don

Perun said:
If a US invasion had been supported by heavy air raids like in Germany, I doubt they would have needed such a high numeric superiority. The US had a good number of advantages over Japan, including constant support from an intact weapons industry and high morale (I just doubt all those stories of the entire Japanese population being ready to fight till death), as well as loyal allies if things would turn really ugly. However, I believe the American government wanted to end the war as quickly as possible to avoid further risks, further bloodshed and -something that is often disregarded- increase of Soviet influence in the far east like it happened in Europe. After the Hiroshima bomb was dropped, the Soviets invaded Mandshuria, and they would have gotten a lot further had the Japanese continued to fight for just one or two months.

Now that you mention it, it cannot be denied that fear of the USSR played a substantial role in America's decision to drop the bomb.  It had been agreed shortly before Hiroshima (in Yalta, I believe) that the Soviet Union would declare war on Japan three years later-something that would have certainly led to even more Soviet expansion in the Far East.  If the USSR had invaded and taken Japan (similar to their installing of Kim Il-Sung in North Korea), the course of history during the Cold War would have been much different-no US investment in Japanese technology after the Korean War, so no Sony, Toshiba etc. And none of the other Oriental countries would have reached the level of technology they have today.  Of course, it's all moot, as the US did decided to drop the bomb, and even had they not, the USSR may not have expanded its influence in the East any further than North Korea.  It's an interesting thought of how cause and effect can shape history, though.

These Colours Don

When I took history we learnt that one of the big motives for dropping the bomb was the Soviet threat. In other words, the Americans dropped the bomb in order to scare the Soviets and announce to the world that they have the most powerful weapon ever known to man. It could be that had the Americans not dropped the bomb, the US might not have become the world power it is today. Then again, its all speculation. However, I do think that the conflict between capitalism and communism had alot to do with dropping the bomb, although the second bombing was unnecessary in my opinion.

These Colours Don

First off, I want to thank Maverick and Raven for providing such excellent commentary on this song. Also, I came across an interesting parallel relating to this song reading Milton's Paradise Lost. I believe the line "Unholy Union, Trinity Reformed" is a reference to the Unholy Trinity (Satan, Sin, and Death, set as a prallel to the Holy Trinity og God.) According to Milton, the unification of God from trinity to singular being will the signal the re-ascension of humankind to pearadise. Conversely, the union of the Unholy Trinity will bring about the fall of man. If this was Maiden's intended meaning, then the lyrics imply that the creation or use of the atomic bomb was the singular act that will bring about the fall of man (in both a literal and metaphorical sense.) It's amazing on how many levels the lyrics work; definitely one of Maiden's best if not the best lyrically.

These Colours Don

Helphyre said:
First off, I want to thank He Who Must Not Be Named and Raven for providing such excellent commentary on this song.

yeah, pretty much everyoen has done his best in this thread -one of the best threads of IMC in deed
well I don't have to add nothing than my personal comments

first of all the opening lyrics are just genious :

We are not the sons of God
We are not his chosen people now
We have crossed the path he trod
We will feel the pain of his beginning

the chorus is pretty much sarcastic with a dark way :
Out of the darkness, Brighter than a thousand suns -Bruce in his best !

another one great lyric after : Whatever would Robert have said to his God

well these are some of the strongest Maiden in years!!

-----
the music now : Overall is one of the best AMOLAD songs (my second best after Lord of Light)
Suns, contains some rare (in Maiden discography) musical elements in it :
1) a crazy heady rythm bridge made for headbanging /moshing
between the two set of solos ---> 4:19
the only examples for this kind of bridge that I can remember in Bruce era
is in Age of Innocence and Don't look to the eyes of the Stranger
2) riff based song -plus brilliantly constructed
3) solos in two different parts of the song 3:34, 5:26 (usually Maiden solos are placed in one part)

all these make this song really special, ans I understand why Kerry King had praised that song,
stressing that 'with this song Maiden tried to do something different'

-----
ps : for my 1000th post

These Colours Don

Sometimes I think this song is better than Paschendale, but then I kick myself and go pray to Adrian Smith in penance. 

Like Paschendale, this song is beyond description.  In the epic factor, it's in the class of Rime, Hallowed, and Paschendale, and in some ways far beyond that.  Same goes lyrically, and Bruce is at his very best here in the soaring choruses.  I before thought that Paschendale, Rime, and Hallowed were the absolute unchallengeable top 3 Maiden songs, but now I have to include Brighter than a Thousand Suns in that. 

There's not much I can say about this that hasn't been said before and conveys my feelings accurately.  This song shows why Maiden are the best band ever.

The most epic part:
"All nations are rising
Through acid veils of love and hate
Cold fusion and fury"

One of Janick's best solos, too, in this; the only better one I can think of is his one in Blood Brothers.  Adrian has so many excellent solos that this doesn't stand out as much.  And I don't mean to put down Janick here, he is just as good as Adrian here.

It's a shame I'll never get to see this one live. 

These Colours Don

Invader said:
The most epic part:
"All nations are rising
Through acid veils of love and hate
Cold fusion and fury"

and just after this part an incredibly epic and thunderous solo whose sound brings in my mind the best moments of Powerslave and BNW

----> who's doing this solo Janick ?
the first solo (3:34) it seems to be Adrian's....

Invader said:
It's a shame I'll never get to see this one live. 

:blink: why, they didn't come to Helsinki in 2006 ?? or you couldn't go ?

anyway, I don't find it impossible to be played live again

These Colours Don

____no5 said:
:blink: why, they didn't come to Helsinki in 2006 ?? or you couldn't go ?

anyway, I don't find it impossible to be played live again

They came to Helsinki, but I was on vacation then :(

But if they don't play the whole album next tour, then they might play something from AMOLAD, maybe this one hopefully.

These Colours Don

one of the headbanging-epic out of AMOLAD, hopefully this isn't the first (and last) Maiden track that featured Smith/Gers guitar solo! while almost all their songs having either Dave/Jan or Adrian/Dave or triple guitar solo i.e Dave/Adrian/Jan or just one individual solo, this is imho, sure the 1st successful break-the-rules in Maiden song ever at least in their guitar solo department!

p/s: sorry for me stinking english!

These Colours Don

kwok fu seng said:
hopefully this isn't the first (and last) Maiden track that featured Smith/Gers guitar solo!

It was indeed the first and (as we speak) only time they did this. Let's see if H and Jan will do that again on the next album.

Daily Song: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This one blew me away right from the getgo, if you'll forgive the pun. Deep, mysterious, thought-provoking lyrics on a very well build piece of music that seems to explode into a furious cavalcade from nothingness, only to fade quietly after the holocaust ends. 10/10. Higher if they'd let me.

Re: Daily Song: Brighter Than A Thousand Suns

My second favorite song from AMOL&D, only surpassed by Lord Of Light.
LooseCannon said:
Deep, mysterious, thought-provoking lyrics on a very well build piece of music that seems to explode into a furious cavalcade from nothingness, only to fade quietly after the holocaust ends. 10/10. Higher if they'd let me.

Far and away my favorite from this album, and I consider AMOLAD to be a strong album.

As I think most of you know, I'm a prog nut. Thus, the 7/4 time sig rocks my boat. The chorus riff is probably my favorite riff from the whole album. And the fast middle part is some of the best fast stuff Maiden has done.

This song is my ringtone. Has been since it came out.

10, naturally.

Easy 10. Sometimes, a song just clicks when everything is spot on. Lyrics, music, solos, the lot. And this is one of them. A modern day Maiden classic.

10/10

best song on the album. adrians solo is so perfectly placed and executed.

What a great song! There is nothing wrong with this song at all. 10/10

10/10. My second favourite song off the album. Everything about this tune is fantastic, but Nicko's drumming is especially amazing. I find myself really concentrating on Nicko when I'm listening to this one, when I'm usually keeping my ears more tuned to the guitar work. When it was originally announced as part of the setlist for the 2010 tour, I was ecstatic. When it was dropped I was gutted. This is a brilliant piece of Iron Maiden.

10. Heaviest Maiden song. It's a monster of originality, genius lyricism and tempo/mood changes that some bands can only dream to emulate. "Out of the universe, a strange love is born. Unholy union, trinity reformed... Out of the darkness, brighter than a thousand suns." Anthologic! :edmetal:

I was lucky enough to see the Dallas 2010 show when they played this, I still do not quite get why they dropped it (versus another longer tune to swap out with Wrathchild).  Anyway, fantastic song, this is about as metal as Maiden gets, just crunching riffs, a great melody, fantastic vocals.  There is really nothing wrong with this song.

An easy 10

I guess it's up to me to be the blasphemer here. This is a very good song, that for me is a notch below the band’s great epics. Love the heaviness and the complexities, but the melodies could be a little hookier and I find Bruce is straining at times to rise above the din and not quite being successful. Eight.

Back