Blaze Bayley

"but the sound of it is so dark, and the way it was produced, it's not accessible"

Well as a black metal fan I should be used to "dark sound" and production "not accessible", and vocals @Jer keeps making fun of, so I suppose the reason I hate the Blaze albums is because they simply suck.

The middle section melody played by Dave in "When Two Worlds Collide" would have been cool on a Somewhere in Time track! Sounds very "Blade runner" :)
I agree. ''When Two Worlds Collide'' has some of Maiden's best melodies imo.
Some cool quotes:

''But the thing that really stayed with me that I'm most grateful for is what I learned about composing and writing when I was working with the Maiden guys.''

''Inside me is the experience of making 'The X Factor' and 'Virtual XI', that's in me and that's been taken forward''.

''What we do is a different arrangement. And one of the things that we do is we put in the harmonies in places I feel there's really could, should have been harmonies.'' -> I like it the way it is, but I think I can agree with Blaze here.

Ooh, the new album showed up--decently quick getting it here in the US, considering I hopped on and ordered it when I saw a bit ago that people were already getting theirs in the mail. Looks great, aside from either a design standpoint or a forgetful standpoint that there's no band/album title/record label anything on the CD spines. It's on the slipcover, but displaying it upright alongside the rest of my Blaze collection makes for an OCD conundrum all its own...

Should be able to listen to it on the road tomorrow, so might have to pop in and drop my thoughts on it.

Ooh, the new album showed up--decently quick getting it here in the US, considering I hopped on and ordered it when I saw a bit ago that people were already getting theirs in the mail. Looks great, aside from either a design standpoint or a forgetful standpoint that there's no band/album title/record label anything on the CD spines. It's on the slipcover, but displaying it upright alongside the rest of my Blaze collection makes for an OCD conundrum all its own...

Should be able to listen to it on the road tomorrow, so might have to pop in and drop my thoughts on it.
Regarding the spine, I noticed that the other day when I put the album on the shelf. If that is a design choice then it is a weird one. Might borrow my daughter’s jumbo crayons and design my own spine!

So jealous of people getting the new album so early. Decided not to preorder and get mine on the release day instead, as the last time I ordered vinyl from the UK to Finland the delays and taxes were insane.

Got through Circle of Stones today, and here's a brief snippet of my thoughts on my single run-through of it (I'll add spoilers since we're technically in pre-release) :

Overall, it's pretty much what I expected--a solid Blaze album with very little in the way of surprises. I replied to a question earlier in this thread or another one when it was asked if people were more excited for Bruce's or Blaze's solo album. I responded with Bruce's, because already both songs from TMP have been a bit out of left field as far as my expectations were concerned. With Blaze's longstanding collaboration with Absolva, we've come to know what to expect: solid albums, but with few surprises. Sometimes they knock it out of the park, like with Endure and Survive, and sometimes we end up with just a good album like its follow-up, The Redemption of William Black. To my ears, Circle of Stone leans more toward the latter.

It definitely does have its standout tracks, like the title track and "The Year Beyond This Year" are great. It's sort of strange in the sense that the first half of the album has songs with no connecting theme, while the latter half has a weird ancestor thing going on with its theme. That latter half does try some newish things, like a bagpipe instrumental leading into the final five songs, and the return of some female vocals to harmonize with Blaze on the last song, "Until We Meet Again," which is a nice closer.

Anyway, I'm certainly not bagging on the album. Like I said, it's solid Blaze. The production sounds better than we typically get from this era, and, as has been mentioned since the video came out, the trend of auto-tuning Blaze a bit here and there that started with War Within Me is back. Personally, I don't find it to be a big deal, but others might. I guess I just came away from the album feeling like we've seen everything that's in the Absolva lineup's bag of tricks songwriting-wise, and this feels like a small step down from War Within Me, which was a pretty great album, IMO. That said, Circle of Stones is good, I'm glad I bought it and Blaze fans should like it, but it stays very much inside that comfy box where this lineup's sound has established itself.

Last edited:
Another nice new song
Cool and catchy song. In the classic style of Blaze with a slightly different approach the the chorus vocals. But I feel like as if some parts were cut out of this song. Blaze's vocals are good, but the auto-tuning is felt here. The intro riff is familiar, good verses, even better pre-chorus and catchy chorus. The different vocal line before the solo is very nice. Typical solo and the Maiden-esque harmony is pure gold (should have been repeated more). Interesting and fitting outro for the vibe of the song. A solid and memorable opener.

Blaze is now with 2 guitars and this style seems to works for him, but I really expected a bit longer songs for this album, even with some experimentation. The melody for this song should have been longer, for example.

I love this Song, I Wish Maiden Would be still able to write short, catchy songs like this. I understand what Kalata says about the Cut Out parts, cold be, but maybe We Would expect a traditional verse especially After the First chorus and It doesn't happen , and we're taken by Surprise and I like It tbh.

Last edited:
Mind Reader, very Maidenesque song.
Yep, his short songs (especially the newer ones) are always very Maiden-esque, VXI vibe.
I Wish Maiden Would be still able to write short, catchy songs like this.
I disagree here. Such really short songs are hit and miss for me most of the time, even with their pace.

Last edited:
Nice indeed. I think I prefer the other two, but still significantly better than what Dickinson has offered us from The Mandrake Project so far.

Bayley 3 - Dickinson 0
Of course Bruce can do better, but it's difficult to compare since his songs are basically without instrumental sections, in contrast with Blaze's singles. And he tries new and ''risky'' things with Rain, which is a melodically fun song like this new single.

For me - Rage doesn't compare (beautiful intro and melodies, but it's really samey), Mind Reader can be comparable in a way with Rain, and the title track and Afterglow are close but the former is lifted by its instrumental section. Catchy songs.

Love this one more than the two previous ones. :)

"Whoever producing and mixing his record: So, errh, Blaze, how hard should we pitch correct/auto tune your vocals?

Blaze: Yes. "

;)

Another record rendered unlistenable. This is a great song, but the level of overdone pitch correction in War Within Me and obviously Circle of Stone is absolutely toxic.

Back