Bruce Dickinson

Bruce Dickinson:
"He continued: "The tone of my voice has changed a little bit, and in many ways I like it more now than I did when I was 23. 23, I was like shiny and squeaky. Your voice becomes more lived in. You can express more emotion, you can carry more emotion. So, for example, there's a song on [my upcoming solo] album ['The Mandrake Project'] called 'Rain On The Graves'. I couldn't have sung that song when I was 22 years old in the same way. So it's interesting to see how the kind of emotional life of the voice develops over the years."

How do we interpret these words? Will be Rain On The Graves more like Man of Sorrows or aggressive mid tempo/fast track? Maybe he will sing much lower.

Here’s the - I believe - whole interview:

Here’s the - I believe - whole interview:

Thanks for sharing.

Something new: Bruce's favorite solo section on the album is for ''Eternity Has Failed''! So it will have a solo. Great to hear, something different. Roy will have shredding away moments. Bruce also cut out the extra verse. The changed title of the song fits the overall concept behind The Mandrake Project.

The album is very personal to him. And ''Sonata'' is a very emotional song (yes!), which is very rare according to him.

His favorite rock song is probably Deep Purple's Speed King.

Bruce Dickinson:
"He continued: "The tone of my voice has changed a little bit, and in many ways I like it more now than I did when I was 23. 23, I was like shiny and squeaky. Your voice becomes more lived in. You can express more emotion, you can carry more emotion. So, for example, there's a song on [my upcoming solo] album ['The Mandrake Project'] called 'Rain On The Graves'. I couldn't have sung that song when I was 22 years old in the same way. So it's interesting to see how the kind of emotional life of the voice develops over the years."

How do we interpret these words? Will be Rain On The Graves more like Man of Sorrows or aggressive mid tempo/fast track? Maybe he will sing much lower.
I expect a fast song, but now I'm not sure. It will have some mood bits, probably in the lower register - and maybe it will be the ''ballad-y'' song of the album like Man Of Sorrows. I think there should be some higher vocals in the chorus, just like it. Something like Road To Hell's chorus.
Mid-tempo (but not slow like Ragnarok) and probably ''aggressive'' song, it's possible. But for now (if he will play the 2 singles), 5 of the songs he will play live are mid-tempo, and he said he doesn't want to play many such songs, so...

I fully agree with Bruce about his voice then and now.

Since Bruce will be using a big video screen for the upcoming tour, I think he can show some epic colorful (to fit the comic style) landscapes or thematic stuff (maybe ''moving art'' too). And especially for a song like Afterglow Of Ragnarok. I really hope it's something interesting and it's a nice surprise that he's going to put some effort into the stage set.
Other songs that could have some great backdrops:

Gods Of War
Tears Of The Dragon
Space Race
Back From The Edge
Solar Confinement
Inside The Machine
Innerspace
Strange Death In Paradise
Taking The Queen
Darkside Of Aquarius
Road To Hell
The Magician
Omega
Arc Of Space
King In Crimson
The Tower
Book Of Thel
Gates Of Urizen
Jerusalem
Trumpets Of Jericho
The Alchemist
Abduction
Soul Intruders
Kill Devil Hill
Navigate The Seas Of The Sun
River Of No Return
A Tyranny Of Souls
Eternity Has Failed
Shadow Of The Gods

I wonder about decors, but since the stage won't be that big, I think there will be (and it's better for the screen). Mandrake everywhere!

Btw, looking for live pictures I found this one with the backdrop for TCW tour - what is this sign?

Attachments

• 98 tour.png
    98 tour.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
How you know it's after second single?
The sticker on the album, Bruce will record a second video this month and the 1st part of the comic (first 16 pages, out of 34 iirc) will be released then. Also, the end credits of the debut single's video hint towards this song with its graphics. And we can also see the same sketches in the ''promo mag'' with the story about the album cover (I wish we could read it).

It seems each new part of the comic will have a brand new artwork - the first is the one for the Deluxe CD Book Edition, the hand. Cool.

tmp.jpg
That picture was the artwork on the (actual) The Chemical Wedding CD. I would have thought you had a copy!
Oh, I forgot. Wasn't it all blue? Anyway, I wonder what is the meaning of this sign... I thought he used the album cover as a backdrop.

Back