What Do You Think Maiden Could Do Better Next Album/tour

maiden is my #1 all time favorite band, but there are some things i hope they will do before the next album comes out and the next tour.

IN THE STUDIO:
-tell kevin shirley to change his production style; dance of death, although a good album overall, sounded kind of muddy production-wise (now if i am wrong and this is related to the mixing rather than the production, let me know)
-bring back steve harris' aggressive bass playing. with a very few exceptions, his bass playing has taken a backseat since fear of the dark, especially in the last 2 albums. compare the bass on DoD to what he does on any of the early albums..it was much more aggressive and energetic back then.

LIVE:
-take off the re-used staples that we hear on each tour and replace them with others. i know NotB and The Trooper will probably always be there, but can we please get something else other than Wrathchild, Iron Maiden, and Run to the Hills?
-PLEASE come back to the U.S. on your own tour, the majority of us still love you! many ozzfest-goers are a bunch of dumbshits who think garbage like slipknot is real music (sorry to the ppl on this board who are slipknot fans also)

what do you guys think?

[!--quoteo(post=130860:date=Mar 5 2006, 07:55 PM:name=runningfree)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(runningfree @ Mar 5 2006, 07:55 PM) [snapback]130860[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
-tell kevin shirley to change his production style; dance of death, although a good album overall, sounded kind of muddy production-wise (now if i am wrong and this is related to the mixing rather than the production, let me know)[/quote]

True, DoD did not have the very best production. On the other hand, BNW was superb production-wise. So, knowing what Shirley is able to do, I'd rather let him do.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]-bring back steve harris' aggressive bass playing. with a very few exceptions, his bass playing has taken a backseat since fear of the dark, especially in the last 2 albums. compare the bass on DoD to what he does on any of the early albums..it was much more aggressive and energetic back then.[/quote]

Steve's songwriting has changed. So has his bass playing. I know many people are unable to accept that, but that is a fact. A more aggressive bass on BNW and DoD would have been extremely annoying.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]-take off the re-used staples that we hear on each tour and replace them with others. i know NotB and The Trooper will probably always be there, but can we please get something else other than Wrathchild, Iron Maiden, and Run to the Hills?[/quote]

I agree with Wrathchild and Run To The Hills. But taking Iron Maiden from the setlist is like making a cherry tart without cherries.

[!--quoteo--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]-PLEASE come back to the U.S. on your own tour, the majority of us still love you! many ozzfest-goers are a bunch of dumbshits who think garbage like slipknot is real music (sorry to the ppl on this board who are slipknot fans also)
[/quote]

I know the US fans were completely frustrated with the touring schedule of the DoD tour, but I have said this in several threads within the last two weeks. Quit complaining about Maiden's touring schedule. It won't change anything! Maiden are a European band, so the priority on their tour is in Europe. Maiden aren't in their 20s anymore, so they won't be able to make a huge tour. I feel like a record that's stuck.

All I can say is that DoD had an intangibly more orchestral feel to its songs than any of Maiden's previous albums. Not sure why, but I'd like Maiden to continue in that direction, with perhaps more songs along the lines of "Face in the Sand" and even "Blood Brothers"...it's different from a lot of what they used to write, but it's a very pleasant sound, and one I wouldn't mind making a resurgence. They should build on the bits of progressivism in their music.

A song from Bruce and only Bruce! He did an awesome job on "Powerslave" and "Revelations," and after hearing "Tears of the Dragon" on one of his solo albums, I can't help but think he'd make an awesome contribution to the next album if he wrote a song on his own. Not that a little help would be bad, but I'm just thinking he could churn out a classic along the lines of "Powerslave" on his own.

I also loved "New Frontier"...never get tired of it actually, and in spite of the opinion of many users on this forum and the commentary, I think it was very well-written. I'd love to hear more contributions from Nicko, now that he's finally managed to write a song, and a good one at that.

This may sound like a bit much, but Maiden's style really lends itself to concept albums. Seventh Son's my favorite for a reason. I'd like to see another one from them.

As for the tour, I agree with the original poster. Perhaps old songs that never got a chance in concert like "Sun and Steel" and "Flash of the Blade" SHOULD get a chance. Ditch Wrathchild if nothing else...the other two are actually signature songs for Maiden, even if overplayed and overrated. I'm not sure people would miss Wrathchild so much.

They could stop writing songs tat are 8 minutes long and filling an album with them *yawn*

I suppose we are all Maiden fans for different reasons. Many have got to know Maiden for their fast and energetic songs like The Trooper or Aces High. I on the other hand became a fan with Brave New World, and it was precisely the long songs that appealed to me. Of course I love the classics of the Golden Age, but I consider this their history, and they do now what they do now. If they choose to do shorter songs again, that is fine, but I hope they won't try to imitate their own classic albums. A Powerslave clone is not what I want for their next album.

I can't see Maiden going back to creating a 'Golden-Era' type album, but I think more likely is that the next album will be continuing in the vein of BNW and DoD, with longer and more thoughtful songs (whether fans like it or not).

In fact, I consider the current era a second Golden Era.

I 'd like them to make an album along the lines of BNW amd DoD. I agree with Perun that this is a second golden era for them. I actually like the longer and melodic songs more than the shorter ones. As for the tour I'd like it to be like the DOD tour and if possible even more theatrical(I'd love a theatrical Sign of the Cross version) . We have to accept that Maiden can't return to the golden era, and realize they're different now, older and wiser :: .

Maiden's showing their age, but not in a bad way. I think the maturity they bring to their music is fantastic. They still write in distinctive Maiden style, but in some ways it's still darker than their older work, with songs like "The Wicker Man" and "Rainmaker" being exceptions, and good ones at that. But I just don't see them having written a song like "No More Lies" in their so-called Golden Era. I, too, agree with Perun that this is a second Golden Era, and when we look back on it we may well see albums like BNW and DoD as being as good as Powerslave and Piece of Mind.

It also seems that Bruce can't hit "Aces High" and "Flight of Icarus"-style notes but his voice has matured as well, and is capable of more genuine emotion. That's not to say it wasn't impressive back in the day (he was always one of the best) but his vocal style fits Maiden's current musical style...and there are still remnants from the days of "The X Factor," stylistically.

Oh, forgot to mention: Derek Riggs should do the cover art. And not another travesty like DoD, though I'm beating a dead horse. Even mentioning I'm beating a dead horse is beating a dead horse. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

Sadly, Riggs will never work with Maiden again...thus, I once again nominate Tap Legion to make the next Maiden cover.

I would like to see a concept album as has been rumored. This time they should make it a proper concept album (more 7th Son and less DoD).

Also, it would be great if Steve and H got together to do more songwriting... Paschendaele (the tr00 spelling [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]) was simply sublime.

Remove Nicko's songwriting privleges. I know some of you like New Frontier but it has filler written all over it.

Limit the solo sections to duelling solos like on "The Trooper" in contrast to the bore fest that is "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate".

Keep Janick away from the lyric writing... "And I danced and I pranced and I sang with them" ::

Apart from these few minor points, everything else was just great. I am in a very over-critical mood lately [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=131056:date=Mar 7 2006, 02:18 PM:name=Perun)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Perun @ Mar 7 2006, 02:18 PM) [snapback]131056[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I doubt Jan has written any lyrics at all.
[/quote]
Haha, cos then Bruce would have to sing them in a silly north-east accent! [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":p\" border=\"0\" alt=\"tongue.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=130982:date=Mar 6 2006, 04:47 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 6 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]130982[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Limit the solo sections to duelling solos like on "The Trooper" in contrast to the bore fest that is "The Thin Line Between Love and Hate".
[/quote]

What?! ::

The alternating solos on "The Thin Line" are amazing. There is so much going on in there...every time I listen to it I hear something I hadn't noticed before...so many beautiful melodies...so many driving riffs...simply amazing. I'd like to see more of that on the new album.

[!--quoteo(post=131053:date=Mar 7 2006, 02:11 PM:name=LooseCannon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Mar 7 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]131053[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Steve did the words to Dance of Death, I think, not Janick.
[/quote]
:: Steve wrote those stupid lyrics? That really surprises me to be honest.

[!--QuoteBegin-Macumania+--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Macumania)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]The alternating solos on "The Thin Line" are amazing. There is so much going on in there...every time I listen to it I hear something I hadn't noticed before...so many beautiful melodies...so many driving riffs...simply amazing. I'd like to see more of that on the new album.[/quote] This is clearly a matter of opinion but at the end of a long album like BNW, the last thing we need is a complicated section like this. I like the general laid back mood of the song but the solos are just... too much [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\";)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"wink.gif\" /]

[!--quoteo(post=130964:date=Mar 6 2006, 09:15 PM:name=LooseCannon)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Mar 6 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]130964[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
Sadly, Riggs will never work with Maiden again...
[/quote]

but he did not mind to autograph a few NOTB prints which the band could sell....

[!--quoteo(post=131114:date=Mar 7 2006, 09:48 PM:name=Tokus)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Tokus @ Mar 7 2006, 09:48 PM) [snapback]131114[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
but he did not mind to autograph a few NOTB prints which the band could sell....
[/quote]

Who knows what he got.

Maybe he also liked the idea that it said "Derek Riggs" but not "Iron Maiden".

[!--quoteo(post=131062:date=Mar 7 2006, 04:50 PM:name=Conor)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Conor @ Mar 7 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]131062[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
:: Steve wrote those stupid lyrics? That really surprises me to be honest.
[/quote]
Well, he has written clumsy lyrics in the past, remember. Blood Brothers comes to mind...

Back