USA Politics

Looks like around a quarter of the people showed up for Trump's inauguration. That's OK though.

DC voted 91% Democrat in the 2016 general election. It voted 92.5% Democrat in 2008. Plus, DC population is about 50% black, so the election and inauguration of the first black president was a special emotional event for a lot of that population (and many other people, given America's history). Makes sense that a lot fewer people would turn out for the inauguration of a Republican president, especially one who was so thoroughly demonized on racial grounds.

As for out of towners, I would speculate that this inauguration's lesser historical significance wasn't such an attraction, and the possibility of major protests kept away some who might otherwise want to travel into DC for the event.

As I said. There is no indication for such hope.
1Vb8W.gif

I am by no means a Trump fan, but posts like Foro's might make me one. In general, the Left's reaction to Trump's election has been appalling.

Not a surprise that there was a comparatively lower turnout for Trump than Obama, for all the reasons stated. Plus: rain.

DC voted 91% Democrat in the 2016 general election. It voted 92.5% Democrat in 2008. Plus, DC population is about 50% black, so the election and inauguration of the first black president was a special emotional event for a lot of that population (and many other people, given America's history). Makes sense that a lot fewer people would turn out for the inauguration of a Republican president, especially one who was so thoroughly demonized on racial grounds.

As for out of towners, I would speculate that this inauguration's lesser historical significance wasn't such an attraction, and the possibility of major protests kept away some who might otherwise want to travel into DC for the event.

I think that pretty much sums it up ... add to that Trump really did not draw from any of the GOP establishment ... a lot of whom would have rather had virtually anyone else in the field be the nominee.

Sure, except about the same amount of people showed up for Obama as showed up for Bill Clinton's first inauguration - 900k vs 800k - so while many average DC folk probably gave Trump a pass, there was less there than in GWB's inauguration. It doesn't really matter that much.

And to be fair, Trump was the one demonizing himself on racial grounds by a) having a history of being a racist and b) making rather racist statements.

I see two likely outcomes with Trump. Either he is decent and, like Bearfan said, there are good things and bad things, or he's a total failure and both parties will adjust accordingly. I think the wellbeing of the country going forward is less dependent on what Trump does and more how the government handles him/responds. But you can probably say as much for any president.

I would rather see him do well, although I worry that will just lead to more celebrities and clowns running for president. Hopefully regardless of how successful he is, four years of Trump is enough for America to get this populism stuff out of their system.

Hey, I am genuinely curious what Trump might do. Hell, there are things that maybe only Trump can do, like in an only Nixon can go to China sense.

I'm not hopeful these things will come to pass. I'm curious if he might figure it out...no real way to know but to wait and see. And hope the Democrats figure shit out in 4 years time.

The last 2 Presidents (Obama/Trump) ran as outsiders with minimal to zero government experience .. especially on the federal level and beat "the establishment" ... McCain and Hillary ... plenty of reasons for their wins beyond just that .. but it will be interesting to see if the next person beats that trend

Hey, I am genuinely curious what Trump might do. Hell, there are things that maybe only Trump can do, like in an only Nixon can go to China sense.

I'm not hopeful these things will come to pass. I'm curious if he might figure it out...no real way to know but to wait and see. And hope the Democrats figure shit out in 4 years time.

There is something to the "only things Trump can do" ... just based on him having no real party base. His infrastructure and trade policies for example at a high level at least are more Democratic positions than Republican

I think there will be at least one of these during his term. It might even be in the healthcare department depending on who takes the reins. There is way too much infighting in the GOP currently to tell right now.

1Vb8W.gif

I am by no means a Trump fan, but posts like Foro's might make me one. In general, the Left's reaction to Trump's election has been appalling.

Not a surprise that there was a comparatively lower turnout for Trump than Obama, for all the reasons stated. Plus: rain.
You've got to get used to it I'm afraid.

Yes, if he is serious about spending a trillion dollars on infrastructure, that will definitely appeal more to Democrats than Republicans. For example.

I worry that will just lead to more celebrities and clowns running for president.

My secret tip for a GOP nominee for 2020

Dave-Mustaine-America.jpg

What do you mean, I couldn't be the president of the United States of America?
Tell me something, it's still "We the people", right?

Either I've managed to tune him out or he has been unusually quiet during this election season. I'd have him pegged as a Ted Cruz guy.

All that being said, I won't complain if there is a (real) movement to impeach him.

Maybe an impeachable offense should happen first?
He's yet to divest himself of his companies, which are funded in part by members of foreign governments, which some people believe violates the Emoluments Clause of the US Constitution. Intentionally violating the Constitution should be impeachable.

Back