The Talisman

How good is The Talisman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Hottysmiff said:
In the last verse of the acoustic part of the song, is there a slight backing vocal from a female voice at one point?

I hear someone singing backup at 1:45 in the song.

It's Bruce and I kind of liked the way that vocal tone tradeoff worked. Might have liked to see a little more of it to spice up that long intro.
It's very unlike Shirley though. Makes me wonder why it's there.

I like this more tarditional Madien piece in the middle of the more adventureus stuff. It grows on you and feels more and more like Rime part II. Also I can't understnad how people think he sounds like an old man in the intro, broken, despairing and slightly retarded, yes, but that just makes it better I think =)

Listened to this driving up a mountain in the rain around midnight and it sounded absolutely wonderful.

The lyrics "weary limbs fatigued away/I have no life left in me" give me chills every time. It's just so hopeless.

I loved this song right off the bat.  I even liked the somewhat sea shanty intro.  I get chills when that riff comes it.  I love how there's almost two different choruses on this one as well.  Great melodies.

My only small complaint is that it feels like it ends too soon.  I sort of wish they had done a bit more of a proper Maiden ending to this song.  And I think a few more solos would have done wonders as well.  But man, that melody is just otherworldly.

Eddies Wingman said:
I think that actually sounds like Bruce, so just a simple case of layered vocals. Just listen to his voice in the line directly after.

It's about the only backup vocals on the album, no?  (I don't include where Dickinson is doubled in some choruses).

I was just going to post on that, but I love this part.  Adds to the haunting nature.

Private Benjamin Breeg said:
It's about the only backup vocals on the album, no?  (I don't include where Dickinson is doubled in some choruses).

I was just going to post on that, but I love this part.  Adds to the haunting nature.

Can you count it as backup vocals when it is the main singer doing both layers?

What's for certain is that the amount of vocal lines with backing or layering has gone down a lot since the earlier albums.

I'm still divided about The Talisman, even after quite a few listens. There are certain parts that I enjoy, and others with which I have issues. The intro is interesting, although a little longish and little too similar to The Legacy to be really enjoyable. The story itself seems like an alternate take to Rime, a sort of pirate version and as such it's fine, nothing spectacular although there is some very nice imagery in it. One thing that does bother me throughout is how Bruce sounds. Especially during the chorus (Westward, etc) he sounds rather strained and it is almost unpleasant to listen to. However, what is noticeable in this track unlike some of the others is Nicko's drumming. This is clearest in the section before the chorus comes for the first time, from around 5:20-5:28, where the drumming really gives the impression of sea spraying on different sides of a ship. Another section that has this is from around 6-6:15. Then, interesting I find, is the part from 6:45-6:56, where the layering of the guitars and the riff itself sounds like something straight out of The X Factor. In general, however, once the intro is over, it is a good song, with changing melodies, inspired drumming, good riffs, and decent lyrics. As I have said before with the lyrics, the narrative seems a bit chopped off at the end, especially considering how long the intro is, which is an imbalance that bothers me a little. So, while in general good, it has too many flaws (or, things that bother me) for it to be one of my favorites on this album.

Eddies Wingman said:
Can you count it as backup vocals when it is the main singer doing both layers?

What's for certain is that the amount of vocal lines with backing or layering has gone down a lot since the earlier albums.

Yes, it has.  It's the only moment where he's harmonizing his lead vocal track.  I suppose if I have any nitpick about this era it's that a few more harmonies wouldn't hurt.  It's minor, but it's a bit of a flourish I miss.  I'd also throw a bit more echo on Dickinson's vocals.  I understand it's really not Shirley's thing and that he loves to keep it dry and live sounding.  Still....
This song has quickly grown up into one of my favorites on the album.  Top 3 or so. 

Private Benjamin Breeg said:
I understand it's really not Shirley's thing and that he loves to keep it dry and live sounding.
I think that's ironic because when bands play live shows, they usually put some reverb on their sound and vocals.

A fucking kick in the face! The most classic Maiden traditional sounding song on the album. One of the top 3. The sequence of Isle Of Avalon, Starblind, The Talisman and The Man Who Would Be King is truly one of my fave from the entire discography.

This song is brilliant. Correction: The main song is brilliant. The intro annoys me a little, the first one is a little boring and the Legacy copy is unoriginal. However the main song is brilliant. Lyrics are intriguing (anyone get any further into determining the meaning/story?) and the rhythm to it is fantastic. Gers is a top song writer. He's arguably more consistant than Smith if he is less prolific. You can not argue with Ghost of the Navigator, Dream of Mirrors, Dance of Death, The Pilgrim, The Legacy and now The Talisman and The Alchemist and that is only his best reunion songs. He also solo's really well on his own songs which makes me think that the "he doesn't improvise as well during the sessions" theory behind his lack of solos is rubbish and it is actually the band ignoring him.

Jonszat said:
This song is brilliant. Correction: The main song is brilliant. The intro annoys me a little, the first one is a little boring and the Legacy copy is unoriginal. However the main song is brilliant. Lyrics are intriguing (anyone get any further into determining the meaning/story?) and the rhythm to it is fantastic. Gers is a top song writer. He's arguably more consistant than Smith if he is less prolific. You can not argue with Ghost of the Navigator, Dream of Mirrors, Dance of Death, The Pilgrim, The Legacy and now The Talisman and The Alchemist and that is only his best reunion songs. He also solo's really well on his own songs which makes me think that the "he doesn't improvise as well during the sessions" theory behind his lack of solos is rubbish and it is actually the band ignoring him.

Add Como Estais Amigos to that list.  Been loving that one.

Back