The Talisman

How good is The Talisman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Now you mention it: indeed. I also hear such similarities with Dream of Mirrors and Fortunes of War.

I have a question. Did Janick write the lyrics to this?

And do Bruce and Steve only write lyrics or the other guys write stuff today? Nowadays anyway?

Well, I guess this is my favourite track from the album. Admittedly, the intro is too long, but 'The Talisman' surely has the best chorus. I'd be heavily disappointed if they did not play this one live.

Best song on the album. This one reeks of classic Maiden, and that's always a good thing in these days of experimentation. I love the epicness of the song, and it's bound to be great live. The intro is a bit long, but sets the mood weel and  thankfully once the main song gets going it never lets up.

A very awesome, song, i personally love the intro and think it sets the scene perfectly and when the song kicks in, it takes you on the journey and does not stop. Hope its played live :rocker:

For the sake of archiving:

For this album, The Talisman was the 5th song that was recorded, on January 15, 2010.

Play Classics! said:
Best song on the album. This one reeks of classic Maiden, and that's always a good thing in these days of experimentation. I love the epicness of the song, and it's bound to be great live. The intro is a bit long, but sets the mood weel and  thankfully once the main song gets going it never lets up.
PC said something good about new maiden????? I am dumbfounded

I hope it doesn't get played live. Bruce says he wants to do it but I think songs like IOA or Starblind would come out alot better.

I absolutely love the melodies in this song.  I think a better solo segment would have made the song better and shortening up the intro.  But the heavy bits of the song are some of my favorite Maiden moments from the newer material.  I think this will make for an astounding live song.

I thought recently (possibly due to overexposure to the subject in history lessons of late) that this song could be about converted Mormons in Europe moving to America, "our golden promised land", due to the introductory verses seemingly talking about the travellers being persecuted, "we run from evil tongues",  and the lyrics on a whole being of a devout nature, "we're praying once again" etc.

It's doubtful; ships that would have carried Mormons would have been steam powered, and would not have travelled in such large convoys. It's more likely that we're looking at one of the earliest migrations, such as the Quakers, Puritans, or other 1600s colonists.

Yea I was thinking 1600's Colonists. But I didn't notice the last 2 lyrics UTI mentioned, I think Quakers might be possible, but most of the time the common portrayal is 1600's Colonists. Just watch the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving movie, it is very close to the lyrics of the Talisman.

Daily Song: The Talisman

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: The Talisman

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

This is kinda a straightforward rocker, and kinda not. I don't find it "epic" enough to deserve the label "RotAM Part II" which I have heard given to it, but it has grown in my rankings of late. Extremely good, however. The current Maiden lineup has difficulty going wrong, and they manage to deliver a really good track here. 8.

Back