The Talisman

How good is The Talisman on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
How can you listen in 5.1 if the album wasn't recorded in 5.1?

What the system does is decided based on the balance from left to right of the sounds, which speaker to send the sounds to. The most centered go through the center speaker, things a little to the left or right go through the from speakers, and the sounds that are pushed out farthest to the left or right on the recording, go through the rear speakers. So it all surrounds you. It sounds brilliant like that.

Yes, but to get TRUE 5.1 surround sound where the surround sound is in stereo, you need an DVD-A audio CD that's recorded in 5.1. Otherwise, the surround sound will be in mono. It sounds like it can be simulated using virtual 5.1 though.

Yes, but to get TRUE 5.1 surround sound where the surround sound is in stereo, you need an DVD-A audio CD that's recorded in 5.1. Otherwise, the surround sound will be in mono. It sounds like it can be simulated using virtual 5.1 though.

Yes, I know it's not true 5.1....but it's not mono either. Let me give an example. The lead vocals are almost completely through the center speaker. Anything panned mostly to the left will come through the left rear speaker....anything slightly left will come through the left front speaker.....anything panned far right to the right rear, and anything a little right through the front right.

Does anyone else get this feeling in the intro....

Kind of like a drinking song?

Example: When this song is played live, I feel like clapping very slowly, then going faster and faster and faster until I'm going full speed. Maybe I'm weird and I just get that feeling...

I'm saying this right now; when they play Toronto, and IF they play this song... I WILL do the above, and if the audience follows... God I'll be happy.

They made a mistake:
BOOKLET05a.jpg

I just PM'ed Khan and he has the same mistake on his too and I believe his is from the vinyl album.

Forostar said:
There is a typo in the official lyrics for The Talisman. You've gotta think this will upset Steve a little.

I would hate to be a target for Steve's wrath.. no one wants to be on the other side of this barrel -
SteveHarris.jpg

For me this is the best vocal song on the album. It's fun to read the lyrics and sing along. And although the intro is long and sounds like the legacy I think it is necassary especially when the huge riff kicks in. The best vocals of the song for me is the part " 20 days without a meal and 10 without fresh water still, those that didn't die in storms the scurvy rest his slaughter". It makes you feel like ur on the ship with them, although they'll probably never play it live I think it would be epic!

Mother of mercy said:
The best vocals of the song for me is the part " 20 days without a meal and 10 without fresh water still, those that didn't die in storms the scurvy rest his slaughter".

I don't find these lyrics that special, we've seen this topic before in Maiden:

"Water, water everywhere and all the boards did shrink, water, water everywhere nor any drop to drink"

Foro, he didn't say lyrics, he said vocals  :)

"The 20 day's" lyrics I agree, are nothing special, but the way Bruce sings them, well that's special.

In the last verse of the acoustic part of the song, is there a slight backing vocal from a female voice at one point?

Yeah I meant more of the vocal performance there was just something that hooked me in about it. I felt the same way when I first heard the last section of the legacy

They made a mistake:

I just PM'ed Khan and he has the same mistake on his too and I believe his is from the vinyl album.

See the Rock in Rio booklet.  IIRC that has loads of errors.

Back