The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread - NO SPOILERS ALLOWED

The Final Frontier tour was similar in its coverage of the UK, and that was only 6 years ago. :p They had a decent number of shows in 2006 too, and I know they played in Glasgow on the Brave New World and Dance of Death tours. I can't be bothered to check how many UK shows on each of those tours though. The Somewhere Back in Time tour was a tragedy though. Just one show in Twickenham. One show in their home country on their greatest ever tour. Something I will always be bitter about.

^ last I checked though, Maiden had been very ignorant of UK shows for the past several tours... BOS was the first where they got a whole UK leg I think in at least 20 years...

Methinks you should check again. :lol:

The have played full UK tours supporting all albums since the reunion: in 2000 (London, Glasgow, Manchester, and Birmingham), 2003 (Newcastle, Nottingham, Sheffield, Glasgow, Manchester, London, Cardiff, and Birmingham), 2006 (Newcastle, Sheffield, Glasgow, Manchester, Cardiff, Birmingham, and x2 London), 2011 (Glasgow, Aberdeen, Newcastle, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham, Cardiff , Belfast, and x2 London), and 2017 (Nottingham, Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, Glasgow, Aberdeen, Liverpool, Birmingham, Cardiff, and x2 London). The latter is their biggest UK tour ever.

They have also played shows in London in 2001 (x2 at Shepherds Bush Empire), 2002 (x3 at Brixton Academy), 2005 (x1 at Hammersmith Odeon), 2007 (x1 at Brixton Academy), 2008 (x1 at Twickenham stadium), and 2013 (x2 at the O2 Arena).

Last, but not least, they have headlined festivals in 2003 (Download), 2005 (Reading and Leeds), 2007 (Download), 2010 (Sonisphere), 2013 (Download), 2014 (Sonisphere), and 2016 (Download).

That is hardly being ignorant of UK shows for the past several tours! ;)

Perhaps by "whole UK leg" SirRobbins means a tour that went to all parts of the UK. Only 2011 would be such a tour as it went to Belfast.

^ sort of......

Maybe I should have put it differently.... their UK fans on the fan club forum HATE festivals with a passion and hate when it's the only time Maiden can be seen in their area...
Maiden seem to put on good portions in the UK on new album tours but the UK gets screwed in history tours... see dates below

New - 13 UK shows this tour for BOS

History - 4 shows the entire Maiden England tour both legs together and 2 were festivals

New - 12 shows - (11 in a row) Final Frontier

History - 1 show the entire tour in the UK for Somewhere Back in Time

New - 10 shows total (A Matter of Life and Death)

History - 4 shows the entire Early Days tour

pretty different from the 80s when they did 20+ UK shows in a row for an album

pretty different from the 80s when they did 20+ UK shows in a row for an album

You do realise that most of those tours they were playing venues with a capacity of 2000-4000 people, don't you? Their current stage set would not even fit in those venues!

Sure, we tend to get festivals/exclusive gigs when there is a retrospective tour (plus the odd gig in London), but to say that the UK has been neglected in the last 20 years is completely wrong.

You do realise that most of those tours they were playing venues with a capacity of 2000-4000 people, don't you? Their current stage set would not even fit in those venues!

Sure, we tend to get festivals/exclusive gigs when there is a retrospective tour (plus the odd gig in London), but to say that the UK has been neglected in the last 20 years is completely wrong.

Ed Hunter Tour 1999

.....ZERO UK gigs.....

......zilch .....

.....nothing.....

.....absent....

.....NONE....

Ah well. It was only the biggest reunion gig of the century for Maiden fans. I am sure the rest of the UK fans, like myself, cared not a jot LOL

Not that I remain bitter about that particular slap in the face from this great BRITISH band!

And fucking Rod Smallwood announced them once I had already booked my holidays to Croatia and Slovenia! :mad: Thankfully I managed to see them in Zagreb. :lol:
I managed to see the first of those shows, in the nosebleeds. It was nice actually seeing everything on stage for a change.

Ed Hunter Tour 1999

.....ZERO UK gigs.....

......zilch .....

.....nothing.....

.....absent....

.....NONE....

Ah well. It was only the biggest reunion gig of the century for Maiden fans. I am sure the rest of the UK fans, like myself, cared not a jot LOL

Not that I remain bitter about that particular slap in the face from this great BRITISH band!

That certainly was not nice.

that tour ignored the entire Southeast USA..... the worst of it? They played SIASL 5 times then it was gone.....

then again, several others did too. I had to go way out for my first Maiden gig and my second and third too.... 3 separate tours and Virginia was the closest they got to Florida.... Missouri if you're on the panhandle. Had to fly... I was a kid though and begged relentlessly. First close gig was not until SBIT and it was the last show of the tour lol

They couldn't announce the gigs before Download.

I know, but that did not make me hate Rod Smallwood any less, especially after booking my holidays right after a press release stating that Download was the only UK gig was uploaded to the Iron Maiden website. :lol:

that tour ignored the entire Southeast USA..... the worst of it? They played SIASL 5 times then it was gone.....

then again, several others did too. I had to go way out for my first Maiden gig and my second and third too.... 3 separate tours and Virginia was the closest they got to Florida.... Missouri if you're on the panhandle. Had to fly... I was a kid though and begged relentlessly. First close gig was not until SBIT and it was the last show of the tour lol

The UK is small in relation to the US.

So imagine Maiden were from Florida, but played the other states and not Florida on the reunion Tour.

You would feel a bit cheated surely? :)

The UK is small in relation to the US.

So imagine Maiden were from Florida, but played the other states and not Florida on the reunion Tour.

You would feel a bit cheated surely? :)

I would given they became well known and successful from their local fans.... if they darted off and became big stars and ignored their roots, that'd be irritating and saddening to fans like me.... I know the UK is like the size of Texas in terms of land coverage and they usually do only 2 or 3 shows in Texas but Texas isn't their home turf...

This 'ignoring the UK' thing comes up from time to time and inevitably the size comparison with the US comes up. Its a matter of perspective. It is less than 2 hours flight between any 2 UK cities so for many in the US that seems like nothing at all but for a lot of people from a small island nation, it seems like a lot. I live in Belfast and I know I could probably fly half way across Europe before people could fly across their own US state but thats not the point. It might only be a short flight to London but I want Maiden on my island, be it Belfast or Dublin (2hr bus journey between the two, so I agree with @srfc , one serves the other and they apparently couldn't fill both).
To be fair, I have travelled beyond my own boarders slightly to see Maiden (Scotland & England) and would do so again but fuck me, zero Ed Hunter and one SBIT? Only festivals and 2x London for ME? I personally think that is a crock of shit. That said, any tour I have missed I could of got to but at much greater expense than if they had just fuckin came to Ireland. The last 2 history tours in particular have bamboozled me RE Irish dates. Maybe would of cost too much to bring such big productions across the water. Maybe. Still, we feel hard done by in some instances and its ok if other regions do too.
Maiden are class so maybe too much is never enough and we will never be totally satisfied.

I think Britain does quite often get more than its fair share from tours (I'm not speaking about Maiden, but being general). If you take into account the size of the island, a lot of bands probably play more gigs per square mile than they do in a bigger European country like Germany. That said, it's really irritating if you live north of Birmingham and the only UK show a band has is in London and its not a Saturday. I think it took Blind Guardian 28 years to play in Scotland, and I wasn't living there anymore!

Even London-only is okay, tbh, the real killer for me is if a show is somewhere not very accessible like Scarborough or a muddy field somewhere near Derby.

Donington Park is a pain to get to and from. I'm going to Bloodstock in a couple of weeks and that's less remote than Download. A few years ago I was able to walk back to the nearest train station after Avantasia to get back to Birmingham.

Back