The Official Book of Souls Tour 2017 Thread - NO SPOILERS ALLOWED

Priest/Halford made a major mistake in not getting back together in 2000 when Rod was Halford's manager

Metallica isn't bigger than Maiden, in Europe and South America.

In my country, both bands are capable of selling out 30-40k stadium seats if those bands don't play in neighboring countries on the same tour. The stadiums in Zagreb and Split can hold about 65.000 each in concert configuration. That number can only be sold out if we're talking mainstream music only. Examples would be U2 in ZG and EDM festival in Split.

These are the only two metal bands capable of selling out an arena in Croatia without any special thrills involved, like one of a kind tours and such. Simply put, on a new album tour, both bands can count on playing to 10-12k people. Judas priest can't, they've cancelled club gigs here in past.
Metallica can sell out US stadium tour because they're considered a big arena domestic US band. They play on US television shows, superbowls and such, they're a part of mainstream American culture. Metallica is mainstream in the US in a way, and should be taken as such when talking about target audiences.

everyone is talking about it being fake but I can actually see this happening with all the hype around the game.... the issue I have is... it would clearly be a CLASSICS tour... Unless they surprise the shit out of us with some deep cuts then I don't see it being as successful as their previous tours... If it was a classics tour, and I saw the set list and nothing stood out, I'd hesitate to go honestly. As much as I love their history tours, I have come to like the new album tours better. Lots of new music and even some surprises... no real surprises on history tours... except hearing afraid to shoot strangers on Maiden England..... Especially weird when I found out they rehearsed Infinite Dreams and chose ATSS instead :facepalm: I loved hearing COTD and Powerslave this tour.... I thought Powerslave went to the grave after SBIT and COTD after 2007 AMOLAD second leg

It's pointless unless they play Infinite Dreams, SIASL, 22AA, NPFTD and other songs as such. Also the only 3 stadiums I can see them doing are Olympic stadium, San Siro and Ullevi. Others have too small market. Especially Camp Nou (I would love to see that, but there is almost no chance of that happening, with or without Priest, since capacity is 105 000 for concerts).

So it seems the UK venues were an oddity.
In the Netherlands the difference in size was also big, when their latest album came out, but that might not have been that representative as I thought.

However small or big the difference, something tells me these bands will still do something together again.

So it seems the UK venues were an oddity.

No, they were not an oddity. Check the boxscores reported for some gigs of the 2015 tour outside the UK and compare them with the venues Maiden have played in recent times in those territories:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redeemer_of_Souls_Tour#Box_office_score_data

The venues they played in the UK on that tour were just a reflection of the astounding flop the 2009 UK tour was. They even had to cancel the Nottingham date as a result of the very poor sales (official explanation was "unforeseen circumstances").

The 2009 tour had Megadeth and Testament supporting right? The Priest Feast tour? That was a great tour. Awesome line-up. The 2011 fake farewell tour was not so great.

The 2009 tour had Megadeth and Testament supporting right? The Priest Feast tour? That was a great tour. Awesome line-up.

That was the line-up in some territories. In the USA they opted for other packages and the results were not good either. As an example, here are the results for Mansfield with Whitesnake:

Judas Priest, Whitesnake, Pop Evil Comcast Center
Mansfield, Mass.
July 7, 2009
$149,411
3,620 /
1 /

^ lol wow.... makes you wonder why they didn't cancel that show...

whitesnake is really good live

Funnily enough, Priest spent most of the 80s focusing on the North-American market to the point of neglecting other territories and now in their twilight years they find themselves playing to reduced audiences there even with nostalgia filled packages. Maiden, on the other hand...

^ last I checked though, Maiden had been very ignorant of UK shows for the past several tours... BOS was the first where they got a whole UK leg I think in at least 20 years...

Back