The Next Album (expectations / desires)

Natalie said:
I was listening to The Number of the Beast the other day and it occurred to me that some spoken intros like they did for The Prisoner and such wouldn't be a bad idea on the next album. I kind of miss them...

I actually had that same thought a couple of weeks ago. They did on NoTB with Prisoner and NoTB, again on Piece with Still Life, Powerslave had the grumblings at the beginning of Powerslave, LAD had Churchill's Speech, SIT had Alexander, even 7th Son had the 7 deadly sins bit in Moonchild (which is a stretch), and then we got the turd that was No Prayer, coincidentaly with no spoken word intro.

Any nominations for a spoken word intro on #15?

I think a concept album would be amazing in this part of the band's career.
This type of "Over-production" and progressive composition is perfect for a concept album.

I think this whole "concept album" thing (although I prefer the term "story album", because a concept album is not defined by its lyrics or some dramatic interludes) is so... it's been done. It's not special anymore. Nobody is impressed by cheesy keyboard interludes. Or at least, I'm not.

If you listen to Cradle of Filth, then you'll know what ''keyboard interludes'' are. They have like 2 min instrumental every 3 song or so, it's cool at first, but it gets annoying.

By the way, about the vocal lines. According to numerous interviews Steve is very strict when it comes to Bruce singing along with his melodies, I don't think this is so good. We all know that Bruce can sing very beautiful, but it seems so forced when he sings those short notes in Maiden. Anyone agree?

I meant that Bruce Dickinson don't use his full potential in Maiden most of the time since the reuinion. Since the reunion albums his vocal melodies have been very strictly regulated by Steve. Good examples are ''For the Greater Good of God'' and ''Rainmaker''.

I think I remember Bruce complaining about singing Steve's lyrics back when he quit Maiden. However, his complaint wasn't about melodies. It was that sometimes, Steve's lyrics don't flow very well together. They're awkward. They don't "sing" well.

They had (or have) an open difference of opinion, esp. showed when talking about Rainmaker.

For Steve, the vocal melody lines are more important than the lyrics ("Not everyone understands English"), so the lyrics had to be adapted to that melody.

For Bruce, the content of the lyrics are more important than the vocal melody, so he rather had nothing changed in the lyrics, even if they wouldn't have fitted perfectly to that vocal line. ("If someone doesn't understand my lyrics, too bad").

Steve had the last say in this matter, Bruce had to change the lyrics, but apparently it wasn't a problem for both of them to express their point of views to "us", the fans.

Thanks for the explanation Foro.

I've been thinking today about my new album desires.  As much as I enjoy the rather complex and lengthy songs of the last decade, I'd prefer the next album to have more straight-to-the-point rockers like The Trooper.  I think it is time for a change, yet again.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I think I remember Bruce complaining about singing Steve's lyrics back when he quit Maiden. However, his complaint wasn't about melodies. It was that sometimes, Steve's lyrics don't flow very well together. They're awkward. They don't "sing" well.

Without a stillsuit you would fry
On the sands so hot and dry
In a world called Arrakis.

It is a land that's rich in spice
The sandriders and the "mice"
That they call the "Muad'Dib".

He is the Kwizatz Haderach.
He is born of Caladan
And will take the Gom Jabbar.

It flows very nicely!

I think lyrics & melodies are equally important, & Bruce & Steve need to find common ground. Instead of one having the final say, they need to make it work.

My expectation is that this next album will be awesome. That's about it. :)

SinisterMinisterX said:

I agree, overall Steve's lyrics -at least from 90s onwards- aren't inspired, to say the least.

I believe that we could say the same for his music, though :
All these intros -outros in 3/4, all these solos that last 9 out of 10, 40 seconds (no matter how long is the song),
the sticking one particular sound signature, makes me tired some times, and the songs so predictable.

I find 90s -00s Maiden didn't experiment too much -just followed a well tested formula.
The addition of H in 1999, was an incredible chance for some style changes, and some more riff oriented music,
but Maiden they just didn't take it.

Don't take me wrong; I love Maiden and I'm a devoted fan, is only a matter of unaccomplished expectations!

Natalie said:
I was listening to The Number of the Beast the other day and it occurred to me that some spoken intros like they did for The Prisoner and such wouldn't be a bad idea on the next album. I kind of miss them...

Yeah, I would like that as well!
Some other tips :

1. Bass solo of about 1:30 (like Blood on the World's hands, but as a separate song)
2. Instrumental
3. More than 8 songs under 4 min. -only killer songs and not as the NPftD attempt
4. More riff oriented music
5. No slow tempo intros /outros at all

In general, I would love for the next record to be sonically different, a really new chapter in the book of Maiden

With Maiden it is not a matter of choosing what to do. They don't "plan" an album.

Yes, I also would like strong and shorter songs but it has been aeons since they managed to do that.
In the beginning of this thread you could find more discussion about that if you like.

Forostar said:
With Maiden it is not a matter of choosing what to do. They don't "plan" an album.

Yes as they don't plan they stick in the same old formula -so I would like some more planning in the future  ;)

Quetzalcoatlus said:
Yeah, I would like that as well!
Some other tips :

1. Bass solo of about 1:30 (like Blood on the World's hands, but as a separate song)
2. Instrumental
3. More than 8 songs under 4 min. -only killer songs and not as the NPftD attempt
4. More riff oriented music
5. No slow tempo intros /outros at all

In general, I would love for the next record to be sonically different, a really new chapter in the book of Maiden

I agree with your suggestions.  All of them.  Especially #5.  But I think a song could be between 4:00 and 4:30 and still be "short" enough.

"Last time I ranked albums, I thought AMOLAD was best, but since then I've been putting BNW ahead.  Depends on the mood.  AMOLAD has more subtlety, while BNW has more energy.  Both are brilliant.  With these two as my top two, the choice is easy for the 2000s."

A year has passed since this statement, and it appears my current thoughts are different.

Back