The Next Album (expectations / desires)

Metal_Messiah said:
I'm a bit skeptical about their use of the word "Different". Usually when bands say their going to do something different the music is either a lot more experimental or a lot more commercial sounding. And is in the majority of cases inferior to their past work. Hope this is not the case with album no. 15.

I agree. Hopefully two of the tracks on the new album will be "Prowler '10" and "Charlotte The Harlot '10".

I don't know that I have expectations exactly.  For instance I didn't see the album of epic song lengths that comprised A Matter...coming down the pipe, so that was a nice curveball from where I was sitting.

I guess I simply hope that they've enjoyed making this album (which should ideally show through, if so)...and that it's on par with the albums they've done since BD and AS returned.  I've been quite pleased with all of them (yes, even Dance Of Death) and, in fact, note a preference for each subsequent release.  So I guess it's safe to say I believe they've gotten incrementally better with each post-2000 release.  Even if a new record doesn't improve upon A Matter Of Life And Death, but is otherwise in the same ballpark as the other K. Shirley albums, I'll no doubt be quite pleased.

Like the original poster here, I really enjoyed the longer (and somewhat proggier) direction of the songwriting on the last record, so if they do more of that it wouldn't be to my dislike. 

I also wouldn't mind it if they went in a wholly melodic direction either, much like Somewhere In Time.  I really think the more Adrian Smith contributions the better...and he excels at harmony and melody.

Whilst they've historically not done too many ballads, I've enjoyed it when they have.  Whether it's a more electric take like Wasting Love or the acoustic nature of Journeyman, I think they do "this" quite well...and I wouldn't mind more of it.

One thing I don't want is another 4 songs about war. In fact, I think I'd prefer a generally upbeat album to be honest. AMOLAD was really, really dark overall, and can be a bit draining to listen to. BNW and SiT are quite nicely upbeat, and another one along these lines would be wonderful.

I also want the solos to be good, or at least consistent. It's funny how AMOLAD contains in my opinion the very best (Dave Longest Day, Adrian Lord of Light, Dave Lord of Light) and worst (Adrian Longest Day, Dave FTGGOG) of solos.

more Smith/Gers-only or Gers/Smith-only solos .. just like what they did on BTATS!!! I wanna see more on this new album, at least 2 songs!!!

Back