The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

Seen Cap again, now in 3D. Not impressed, it was pretty bad and uninspired, but I didn't expect much since it was converted rather than shot in 3D. The movie is, of course, fantastic. The other side of May's phone call was definitely not shown. Maybe it's from a deleted scene or in another short.

All that would be needed is someone answering a phone and saying "Inspector Fury is dead", but alas, clearly fan message boards are terrible sources of information ;p

FINALLY saw Cap and the last two Shield eps! All I can say is: wow. Walking out of the theater, I said to myself, "Surely this will affect the show a great deal." I'm actually shocked that it hasn't changed the game even more than it has already.

Cap 2 was amazing. Definitely in the top 3 Marvel movies.

The whole Ward scenario, I'm not sure what to think of it. If they actually keep on this path, I'll be fine. If they try to pull some faux-redemption, my-head-was-messed-with thing, I'm gonna be really pissed. The only thing that annoys me about the MU is that they double-back way too much (i.e. they're dead! they're not dead! they're evil! they're not evil!). Too much drama for such little consequence.

I agree, I can cope with the idea that he was acting on his own or that he has gone evil. But any sort of triple agent stuff at this stage would just irritate me.

The whole Ward scenario, I'm not sure what to think of it. If they actually keep on this path, I'll be fine. If they try to pull some faux-redemption, my-head-was-messed-with thing, I'm gonna be really pissed. The only thing that annoys me about the MU is that they double-back way too much (i.e. they're dead! they're not dead! they're evil! they're not evil!). Too much drama for such little consequence.

Ever read a comic book? I think Ward will be redeemed, but I think he'll be redeemed honestly. Like he will be brought back into the fold by Skye and Coulson and maybe even have a little real regret.

I wouldn't like him to survive his "redemption". Killed way too many SHIELD agents in cold blood to be redeemed. Maybe he gets shot, apologizes to Skye/Coulson, then dies. That would be OK IMO.

Yeah, except for 2 things.

1) death ain't permanent in the MCU.
2) where's the heroic story in that?

He's a villain, he doesn't deserve a heroic story! :p

Anyway,
tumblr_n4836oKoIT1tqonp4o3_500.gif

tumblr_n4836oKoIT1tqonp4o1_500.gif

And yeah, Garrett did say those were third degree burns but we know he likes to sugarcoat his stories.

If Coulson forgave Ward at this stage I would be somewhat surprised, and not in a good way. Twists are all well and good but they have to at least make some sense from the characters point of view. Like NP said, I could see Ward having a last minute change of heart, which turns into some sort of redemption as he sacrifices himself for the others in an act of defiance and is met with "he was a good man at heart" type comments. But I wouldn't be too fond of suddenly returning to the good guys.

I had not put those 2 things together with Garrett, interesting. I could never see it in the actual scene but in that gif there is a noticeable line around the burn makeup/prosthetics heh. Garrett has definitely been through more than a neck wound though, depending on how large his chest plate is that could potentially be the scarring around a much larger wound. I assume it can't be too large of a plate though or it would restrict his movement and be more noticeable. Curious as to where that little glimpse will lead.

Also, Ward has the berserker staff back, even as a nice callback to earlier episodes that would suffice.. but the writers make everything shown for a reason.

I can't see Coulson ever allowing Ward to come back. Hell, he's still pissed @ May for a much smaller feud. Ward would have to present the best explanation in history to explain the assassination of so many SHIELD agents and for conning the team for such a long time.

Yeah, if he was a double/triple agent, he could've "forgotten" about the unlisted Fridge section.

Anyway, Garrett/Skye connection. I rewatched the story of the agent above (Lumley). Ward doesn't know the story. Garrett doesn't know the story.

What if Garrett was part of the first team that was looking for the 0-8-4/Skye in China? He saved her, Lumley got the girl and left Garrett thinking he's dead. Garrett survives, saved by some Hydra sleeper agent. That's where he gets converted because SHIELD left him to die etc. It would wrap up the story nicely.

Yeah, I don't think Ward is a triple agent at this point. He's a double-agent, and let's leave it at that.

If Garrett is the other agent from the 0-8-4, then it would bring a lot of things in this season to a wrap. And I kinda like that. I think a lot of this show has been really smartly written. Everything goes to something else, in sequence.

The only real concern would be the questions of why didn't Lumley etc realise he was still alive. Hmm, I wonder how much info on Skye his security clearance has granted him, he wouldn't know she was an 0-8-4 from reading files but would he be able to find out that SHIELD had something to do with her foster care. She never went through any sort of entry tests etc so there is possibly not too much information on her as an adult in their system to begin with.

Do we think his interest in the GH325 is about this "Phase 3" aspect of Centipede, or more to do with personal injuries. I'm somewhat curious as to who knows about his metal plate, and to what extent has he been "enhanced" (somewhat similar to Deathlok tbh, what was the reason they put a plate under his skin etc). Many many questions still to be answered, not all important to the story, but still interesting to know. Another one is was Akela Amador being controlled by Centipede too or someone else who had access to the tech, which I assume was made by Cybertek.

The 'Its all connected' thing is pretty huge, in the first few episodes there are (off the top of my head):
- "This is an origin story" Mike Peterson
- "An object of unknown origin, kind of like you" Coulson to Skye
- "Best espionage marks since Romanov" about Ward

There's also a point where May/Coulson say "we agreed to protect her from the truth", before they find out she's an 0-8-4, and back when May was still cold on Skye... so they at least knew something about her.

The only real concern would be the questions of why didn't Lumley etc realise he was still alive.
I think Lumley went into hiding shortly after the other team members got crossed off, and didn't have access to SHIELD intel since then.

I wonder how much info on Skye his security clearance has granted him, he wouldn't know she was an 0-8-4 from reading files but would he be able to find out that SHIELD had something to do with her foster care.
Him=Garrett? It's quite possible that Lumley and Avery changed her name when they found out how imporant she is.

Ever read a comic book? I think Ward will be redeemed, but I think he'll be redeemed honestly. Like he will be brought back into the fold by Skye and Coulson and maybe even have a little real regret.

Yeah, but if everything was exactly like the comics, it wouldn't work. Hence why things change (i.e. costuming, casting) to make it more realistic in a live-action medium. The constant doubling back is just aggravating. It removes the entire point of consequences. I could have an entire conversation about the new obsession for tv shows and movies to simply focus on "BIG DRAMATIC REVEALS" instead of choices and consequences, but that's another rant entirely.

If Coulson forgave Ward at this stage I would be somewhat surprised, and not in a good way. Twists are all well and good but they have to at least make some sense from the characters point of view. Like NP said, I could see Ward having a last minute change of heart, which turns into some sort of redemption as he sacrifices himself for the others in an act of defiance and is met with "he was a good man at heart" type comments. But I wouldn't be too fond of suddenly returning to the good guys.

Absolutely. Sacrifice is his only way to redeem himself. He's crossed way too many lines to just say, "I see what I did wrong" and be accepted back. If Coulson allows this, I don't see how his judgment can still be credible. Hell, if May allows this, I might be done with the show just based on poor character writing. Let him die, it's fine. The fans don't really like him anyway, we've got Trip now, it's good. Kill him, bring him back next year as a big bad villain. It's fine. He can go all Angelus and stay Angelus.

Most fan reactions to Ward I've seen are along the same lines "Boring and wooden until he turned bad, now he's pretty fun because he has some attitude".

Back