The Marvel Thread (Spoilers, and language!)

- The entire team was meant to be Coulsons, but was secretly setup by May to KILL Coulson!?
I think what May meant was Fury told her to assemble the team to watch Coulson and to kill him if necessary. We still don't entirely know what is up with him yet.

Last edited:
Just found out there was another 10 seconds or so I didn't have on my copy, after the end logo... it implies a lot extra o_O

Ward could be going Rogue rather than working for HYDRA and/or Garrett.
Someone on another site pointed out his name literally means "provide defense". We also know from previous episodes that he joined SHIELD to protect people who couldn't protect themselves, and he has feelings for Skye... the last 10 seconds that I saw showed a very interesting look, implying either remorse for shooting Hand or some real anger in him, and I don't think anger would fit if he was working for Garrett. So he could be going rogue in an attempt to protect people by any means necessary.

I almost think they've gone too far with the twists, that they will lose impact if there's too much back and forth. There was a few odd moments I couldn't decide if were due to bad acting or characters working things out in their heads, Skye gave Garrett an odd look when Coulson told him Hand was bad, Simmons reacted really bad to the HYDRA reveal. Although Simmons whole "I'm getting better at it" line is actually the thing from the episode that's left me most intrigued.

original.jpg

Found this today and thought it was pretty cute. Figured this would be the best place to post it. A 6 year old fan of Captain America asks the actor who plays Bucky/The Winter Soldier (I'm safe to assume that everyone knows this reveal by now. If not then....oh well? :p) "How does it feel to be a traitor to Captain America?". I think he did well with his answer.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/01/sebastian-stan-question_n_5071292.html

Saw "Turn, Turn, Turn" again.

Now everyone seems kinda suspicious.

Triplett: "You're a suprisingly bad liar, Agent Simmons."
Simmons: "I know, but I'm getting better at it."
:ninja:

The look on Ward's face when Coulson "reveals" May is a sleeper agent.

Garrett's smirk when he said "She? You think Victoria Hand's the Clairvoyant?"

It's obvious that Garrett and Ward didn't know about each other's true allegiance.

If I got it correctly, Hand knew Garrett's with HYDRA when she was trying to blow up his plane. Which explains why he wanted to parachute his way out of the plane.

That voice that said "Director Fury is dead" sounds a lot like Chris Evans.

We can probably do without spoilers now, the next ep is tomorrow ;D It's quite sad how much I am looking forward to it >.> As such, I have been pondering the situations! Not got comments on all characters but these are what I've been thinking...

Simmons really intrigued me there. I don't think she's HYDRA, and I'd really prefer it if she wasn't. I've seen a lot of people speculate that she is due to her not saying anything when Hand questioned them, and her insistence on researching the GH325 but I think that's just her science nature. The "I'm getting better at it" line is very odd... the way she said it I actually thought Trip had left the room and she was sort of talking afterwards, but he hadn't... it's likely she was referring to recent events but I wouldn't be surprised to find she's lying somewhere. With this show I've come to the decision that NOTHING is purely coincidental.

Trip, eh, I want to like him but so far I'm not a huge fan. His first episode he was very weird, changing the subject almost as if to taunt Ward like they had a some sort of conflict in the past. I keep seeing people referring to there being some sort of mutual interest between him and Simmons - he certainly appeared to have interest in her when he first arrived if a little creepy (the whole "you can't imagine life without her" thing was a bit sudden, and the whole thing was at a bit of an inappropriate time lol), but I can't say I've ever really thought Simmons reciprocated. When he invited himself along to the hub with her she looked a bit sort of "oh, erm, ye woo..." faking being happy about it. The anger at Garrett when he was discovered sure looked genuine, so I doubt he's evil... but (no idea where the infos from) I've seen a fair few people say this is his last contracted episode so it may not matter at all.

Ward I don't think has been HYDRA all along, I don't really think he is right now either. There's no way I'm convinced he's some sort of triple agent still working for SHIELD, but if he had been HYDRA all along I'd expect him to be more upbeat at the end. They knew about HYDRA revealing themselves before they arrived at the hub, so if he was planning on turning on them there would've been no real point to the Skye scene, instead I think his realisation that Garrett - someone he will have felt a very strong bond with due to their background - was not only HYDRA but also the Clairvoyant started him thinking that no one can be trusted to protect those he cares about except himself, as that's why he got into SHIELD in the first place (or so he says). Hand's decision to have him murder Garrett instead of imprison him probably just cemented that, so ultimately I really hope he is going rogue and doing whatever he thinks will help him protect Skye the best. The look at the end really showed him to be dealing with things on his conscience and quite angry - not something I'd expect from HYDRA.

Skye, not sure if she actually had any interest in ward before now, with things like using the x-ray glasses to see him naked being more of a "because I can", even when he tried to tell her how he felt she still rebuffed him until he went to sacrifice himself (although she's female, so who knows :p). Her origins/powers/whatever seem to have taken a backseat for now but it'll probably manifest in the finale. I kind of think of her as joint main-character with Coulson, the show started with her but was always meant to be more around him, but his story led them to the GH325 which will have the big effect on her in the end. I really hope she ISN'T a comic character unlike most on a forum I read, because it will restrict storylines more and there'll become loads of "oh why isn't she wearing her costume" or other such things. Coulson is sort of the main guy in the show so there's no way he's going to be evil, and with Skye being pretty much central I don't expect it from her either. TBH Ward (and to a lesser extent May) have been the most "in the shadows" of the team so are the only ones that make sense for turning.

May, nothing to say really other than why is everyone in love with everyone else, May hinting at feelings for Coulson there :p Love that she assembled the team though, taking the trust away from Coulson even more!

Garrett. Damnit! He is so likeable as the bad guy, what with Bill Paxton being awesome, but it means he's less likely to hang around :(

For the series in general, the writing has without a doubt got stronger but in the end all those people who complained that awesome episodes like this are too late need to remember, you can't throw in these huge events and twists right away, because the audience hasn't connected to any characters enough for it to have any actual impact. The first half of the season is getting to know the team and the background behind the villain. Stuff like the eye implants being shown in their own episode rather than just adding it in as an after thought when they start axing the super soldiers.

You forgot Fitz! I must say the actor's been pretty good in the last episode.

Maria Hill's part is hilarious :D

Meh, I didn't mention a lot of characters, but those were the only ones I had specific comments on. My only comments about Fitz (i.e that his reaction to Garrett was very well done, my favourite Fitz moment all series) have already been said ;D

Theyve released synopsis for next week and week after, Trip is in both, so I guess they extended his run.

Good episode. Not as good as the previous one, but it set up the stage for the next one nicely.

Ward's definitely bad. He might like the team members and refrains from killing them, but he's HYDRA all the way. He manipulated all of them into trusting him very easily and based on the next episode's promo, they are gonna see his true colors. Or at least Skye will. I wonder what he told them about Garrett/Hand/Fridge.

Garrett's a great villain. I'm intrigued by his metal plate, looks Deathlok-ish.

Graviton's free! I wonder who gets to fight him first :D

Coulson's been great in this episode, especially his monologue before Koenig let them in.

I didn't like how when good guys become bad guys, they decide to grow beards and sarcastically mirk all the time <_<

Started watching Ep 17 last night as I set this one downloading, and it finished downloading the exact second that Ep 17 finished :eek:

Damn, totally wrong about Ward then. I really thought that the expressions at the end of ep 17 indicated that he hadn't always been HYDRA....
Breakout at the fridge, awesome! What intrigued me though, was that Graviton himself wasn't there, unless he has somehow compressed into that box.
Garrett is apparently part cyborg in the comics, so his metal plate wasn't a total surprise to me. I'm very curious what the GH325 was wanted for... to revive soldiers or to heal Garrett. Noticed in 17 that it's actually him that suggests they back things up onto the hard drive.

Still not a fan of Trip, and I was quite pleased when Coulson tried to kick him off the plane. Fitz doesn't seem to trust him which I like, and he seems to be causing a rift between Fitz/Simmons. When Fitz and Simmons were talking in the snow and she said "we still have each other", he seemed like he was meaning a little more when he said "I don't want things to change". Perhaps that's just me, I was reading it as he had deeper feelings for her and he didn't want anything to come between them, with her "It already has" response making him a bit sad. Perhaps thats just me though, I just don't like Trip :p

The providence facility is intriguing. Also, slingshot is a fake... oh dear, more trust issues!

EDIT: Just seen next weeks promo. When they break out the fridge the camera lingers on a tall guy for a second and Garrett says something to him, it appears he's in the next episode and has some sort of powers. At least, that's what I think the promo looked like.

Last edited:
The look on Fitz's face when Gemma stuck up for Trip? Priceless. Fitz is head-over-heels for Gemma, and she hasn't noticed.

I felt the disappointment radiate off of the flower lady when she found out The Clairvoyant was just a guy with security clearance. I'm not 100% convinced that's all of it, but yeah.

Excellent point about Fury gathering goodies at the Fridge.

I 100% trust Trip and fully expect him to die soon.

Fitz and Simmons have matching knitted toques. I feel like Fitz made them for him and Gemma.

Why doesn't Phil just fly Lola out into the wild Canadian wilderness? Which, by the way, looks like exactly nowhere in Canada.

Graviton? Excellent.

I can't help but feeling this trek through the snow is on a soundstage. Do you know why? No steam coming from their mouths. It feels like they could have done something more to make this scene feel real.

Coulson is awesome. Full stop. He's going a little nuts, and it's awesome. I really hope we get to see the Coulson character return to the movies someday.

I'd wondered what the deal was with the turtlenecks. The scarring, the plates...yeah, maybe he is half-cyborg. Who knows!

That entire episode went by so fast. The showrunning is really turning excellent. What are they going to do to Ian Quinn! Who even knows anymore! I'm pumped as fuck.

Early on Fitz definitely had a thing for Skye instead, but I think this whole HYDRA business making him concerned, and Trip making him a little jealous, has made him realise more. It's interesting because earlier on I felt like - as much as shewent out of her way to measure Mike Peterson up herself and got a little awkward - Simmons had stronger feelings for him than vice versa.

The guy they focused on when he broke out of the Fridge is called Blackout apparently.

I was wondering about Lola myself, not only him not flying it out there, but the fact he left it when he knew the Bus would get discovered - he didn't even say goodbye!!

Raina's reaction to Garrett not having real clairvoyance will come back to bite him I think. She already tried questioning Ward about it, and the show runners keep on specifying that EVERYTHING is connected in some way. In the first episode they say Ward has the highest espionage marks since Romanov, and obviously that's now been shown to be true. So I think her reaction there is definitely foreshadowing of things to come, perhaps she shall be their undoing, her and Skye - whose feelings for Ward (imo) seem to have come on rather fast, until she realised the sacrifice he was making I don't think there was much there on her side of things.

The whole turtlenecks thing did intrigue me, but it definitely makes sense.

Graviton concerns me, the ability to control gravity seems a little too powerful to me, for ANY heroes to fight. He was going to sink the entire compound in Malta so I would've thought he could break out quite easily on his own, and if even the avengers showed up surely he would just fling them around, perhaps he is more limited than I've been thinking though. Either way, there's no way he was hiding in that box that they gave to Quinn, so where is he...

We learnt a little more about TAHITI too, it's something Fury knows about but not actually setup by Fury... interesting.

Blackout is a guy who can harness extra dimensional or zero-point energy. He's pretty badass actually, but they haven't used him for years properly. Second Blackout sucks.

Graviton is an Avengers-level villain. But right now we don't have Graviton - we have gravitonium. Whether or not that will become Graviton is yet to be determined. Would I like that? Yeah. But Agents already have a supervillain.

So, I've been thinking a LOT about this...and I have a feeling we'll find out more about what they did to Coulson. I also have a feeling they're building him to become some sort of hero of his own. Maybe a re-telling of someone like US Agent?

Rewatching the episode.

I really hope Garrett stays for the next season. I wouldn't be surprised if he survives some explosion like Mike Peterson and is in full armor in Season 2 like his comic book counterpart.

Ward is so fucking annoying. I hope he gets his head smashed by May.

Back