The Legend Of Zelda?

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
Onhell said:
That's one of two reasons I will probably get a Wii over a 360 or playstation. Don't really care for many of the new games, but don't mind reliving my childhood on occasions :)

kinda expensive form of nostalgia, though, aint it..?

It's almost more expensive to get the SNES and the games.  I sold my (admittedly mint) copy of FFIII w/book and box for $80.  And now prices are up to around $100.

Wow!  I've got a SNES and about a dozen games.  There is a pawn shop across the river from me that has tons of SNES games for something like a dollar a piece. 

Wasted155 said:
Wow!  I've got a SNES and about a dozen games.  There is a pawn shop across the river from me that has tons of SNES games for something like a dollar a piece. 

MAN, DON'T DO THAT!!!

Ebay... make the suckers nice people outbid themselves...  ;)

Wasted155 said:

Yeah, but it depends on the game.  In order for a game to be worth money there are four things you need.

1. Rarity.  Rare games are valuable games.  A game like Super Mario World is worth very little.  A game like Illusion of Gaia is worth far more.
2. Condition.  A game that is in good physical shape is worth more.  Clean, no scratches, works, if it has a battery backup the battery's not dead.
3. Completeness.  If you have all parts that came with the game (Book, box, inserts, maps, posters) it becomes worth more and more.  Condition applies to all of the parts as well.  A map that has been constantly folded over and over and is torn drags down the value of the package.
4. Quality.  Good games are worth more than bad games.

The current "Holy Grail", the Soundhouse Tapes of SNES games is Chrono Trigger.  Only 750,000 units released in North America, only 150,000 first editions, and I have one.  Everything except the box is in mint condition, and I even have the Nintendo Power Player's Guide in good condition.  The package could go for as much as $200.  Except I still play the game.

MisterAJ said:
MAN, DON'T DO THAT!!!

Ebay... make the suckers nice people outbid themselves...  ;)

OH, I'm not gonna sell it.  I'm just thinking I should look and see if there are any 'treasures' at the pawn shop.

And, yeah, my stuff has been used tons, by myself, and my kids.  Many of the games just don't play well.  So, the ones I want, I just download.

I don't have much cartridges for my SNES...a lot of them were lended and never returned, you know how it goes. Same applies to N64. Getting a pad replica or pad->USB converter is a lot cheaper than buying original cartridges. Hook up your laptop to CRT TV, use the gamepad adapter (or replica), and you have the same feeling. And download ROMs from the 'net. Yup, it's not legal, but it's a right thing to do. Those companies aren't selling'em anymore, therefore their "intellectual rights" are worthless and the games should be in public domain. Abandonware philosophy.

*Shakes head*

wow...

...Power play...

...Illusion of Gaia...

...LTTP...

...Secret of Mana...

i just had a nostalgia-overdose...

Someone, please call 911...

Zare said:
I don't have much cartridges for my SNES...a lot of them were lended and never returned, you know how it goes. Same applies to N64.

Yeah, me either.  Time has taken its toll, I've sold some, but there's something amazing about playing Secret of Mana or Chrono Trigger on the console.  I have CT for PSX but the load times have changed everything, imo.  The little shitbox anime things don't make up for the wasted experience.  I still have CT in mint, SoM in good, and SoE in bleh for SNES, and I have Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, OoT and Majora's Mask in good condition on N64.

After a REALLY long time, I finally got to the last level of Goldeneye, with Baron Samedi as the villain...

Never beat him, though...  :(

GOLDENEYE!!! That game was awesome! All I remember was going to my friends house and a group of us would get drunk and then play multiplayer, always cursing the midget that was hard as hell to kill :D

Ok, let's expand this thread a bit. Let's talk oldschool games  :D

I still think that no teraflops graphics card, no virtual reality system, nothing actual and nothing futuristic can beat the games period between circa 1987 and 1997. The 16-bit games. IBM PC, Atari, Amiga, Nintendo, Sega, you name it...they were all a blast!

I've never owned Amiga or Sega systems, but i had the rest, from XT via Atari ST to Super Nintendo. I still have my first computer. Olivetti M19. My dad bought it in 1986, replacing our original IBM Personal Computer (XT/5150). I was far too young to remember the IBM, but i was practically raised on that Olivetti. Grayscale monochrome 12" screen, blurred like hell, image would remain on it for hours after you cutted the power. Hercules adapter capable of producing four shades of grey. 20 megabytes HDD, and 5'25" diskette drive with 360kB capacity. MS-DOS 3.30.

22 years after the thing still works and it won't die anytime soon.

Sometimes i power it up, just to get nostalgia blast and infinite sadness. Pharaon's Tomb. Monuments Of Mars, Prince Of Persia, the original Tetris. Dangerous Dave. Microprose Soccer. Paratrooper. All those '80s gems. Then i start digging through the filesystem, and i find some of my first programs written in languages like LOGO and GW-BASIC. Then i start crying, and when i stop crying, i get into propaganda mode shouting what terrible world it is today. Something like an 80year old war veteran  :D

When i don't want to cry, i have another Olivetti. Modula M200. Now that's a DOS gamers dream. Pentium 200MMX, with Matrox Millenium II (4MB) VGA adapter, and 64 megabytes of 60ns EDORAM, capable from running Tetris to any late 3D DOS games in high-resolution VESA graphics mode. Sound? Creative SoundBlaster AWE64. The soundcard. System : DOS 6.22 with Windows 95 on top. Couple that with 10GB Quantum Fireball HDD plus a wonderful abandonware scene of today's internet, and you have plethora of joy, including :

- Tyrian, the ultimate top view arcade space shooter. Wondeful graphics, a lot of weaponry, plethora of diverse worlds and some of best game music you'll ever hear.
- Golden Axe, if someone calls himself a game guru and doesn't know who's Gillius Thunderhead, throw him down the nearest airlock.
- Hocus Pocus, fun, challenging platformer with labyrinth type of levels.
- Heroes Of Might And Magic II. HOMM is the best fantasy turn-based strategy. HOMM2 is the best HOMM.
- Worms Plus. Worms are legendary, this is the update of the original and the best version ever.
- Death Rally. Top-down racing game, armageddon style. Punch your way to the top. Uber gameplay, with elements of 3D graphics.
- Simon The Sorcerrer. One of the best adventure games (altrough i'm not a fan of the type).
- Descent II. The real 3D game. Current 3D games are child's play for this one. Put a kid in front of it, and in 10 seconds he won't know what's top, what's floor, where is left and right or is left right or left equals left.   

Those are some games that pop my mind instantly when someone says DOS. And i have barely strached the surface. Whole catalogue of Id Software's 3D games...Wolfenstien, Hexen, Heretic, Duke Nukem 3D, Quake. Apogee's platformers...Crystal Caves style. Commander Keen series. Prehistorik && Prehistorik II. Terminal Velocity. Cyberia. Warcraft I and II. Dune series. Cannon Fodder. The list could go on and on...

I have a working Atari 1040ST too, i used to do some music and sequencing on it in the '90s. Great computer. Nowadays i'm using it as a MIDI controller and i sometimes play Civilization and Elite (you don't know what's Elite? Go kill yourself.) on it.

And yeah, the reason i started this post...i browsed my abandonware collection and i ran into a little game known as Powerslave. I remember Powerslave since it came out, 1997 i believe. 3D FPS's were hot back in those days and the market got a boom of the type. The game wasn't so successful, since it was an ordinary 3D shooter, nothing special about it. Today, i saw the title, and remembered what it was about. Ancient Egypt setting, Indiana Jones type of story. Egypt, you say? So i googled it up, and i saw an article saying that the name of the game + the box images and stuff was a clear analogy to Iron Maiden's record.  B)

For the conclusion...i wish i was born in mid-60s. I would witness the dawn of personal computers, i would work on original UNIX mainframes. I would play network dungeons and dragons. And last, but certainly not the least, i would have been in my 20's  when Iron Maiden visited my country for World Slavery and Somewhere In Time tours. Oh...i remembered a little thing called the Yugoslav War. Nah, doesn't matter, i would improvise on the fly  :D 

Ha ha!  I remember playing Spy Hunter and Mission Impossible on a Commodore 64.  Those were pretty fun at the time.  I had an Atari 2600, and played Defender and Invaders, Adventure, and Pitfall (I and II, which kicked my ass).  I had an Odessy that played Q-bert.

I also remember playing a game on the '64 that was only verbal, no pictures-- kind of a D & D style game, where you built a character, took groups on expeditions through some caverns, had to fight off Killer Coins, your character could be Evil or Good... Can't remember the name of the game, but I had a priest named Judas-- what fun! 

HOLY SHIT! I absolutely LOVE...LOVE the Golden Axe series! Sadly the console games differed from the Arcades (No Death Arder's revenge... and GAII doesn't even HAVE Death Arder, but still a cool game). While I missed the original cast in the third game, I liked the multiple paths premise and the raised level of difficulty.

Back