The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll echo those here who would simply ask the question of "why would Maiden do a touring festival?"

They can pack (and often sell out) sheds and arenas by themselves with middling opening bands. Why would they create some sort of 5-6 band touring festival that played similar-sized venues, where they are now sharing space, trucking and loading logistics, and, most of all, profits?

Also, you're adding probably a hundred quid onto the price of a Maiden ticket, for what to see a few extra bands, that you might not like to begin with.

I'm trying to work out the logic, Maiden playing Donington, Wacken, Hellfest is bad, but if they were to play a field somewhere else, in what will definitely be named "Ed-Stock", that's somehow good?

Also, you're adding probably a hundred quid onto the price of a Maiden ticket, for what to see a few extra bands, that you might not like to begin with.

I'm trying to work out the logic, Maiden playing Donington, Wacken, Hellfest is bad, but if they were to play a field somewhere else, in what will definitely be named "Ed-Stock", that's somehow good?

Those of us advocating for an Edfest are probably thinking about a package touring stadia, not shitty fields. ;)

That being said, it will never happen as it will require the band make a significant financial investment upfront. It is much easier to get a big fee from a festival that will be taking all the risk instead.

Well certainly a stadium would be an improvement over those shit venues in the middle of nowhere. But there's a big reason why those festivals are there in the first place, it costs much less to put on an event there than it does in a stadium. So like you said, it's not only easier to take a fee from the promoter, but those festivals would also have cheaper running costs than a stadium tour to begin with.

I don't think Maiden are big enough to headline the top stadiums in England either, not the ones Metallica play, even with a strong support line up. You might be looking at Brentford or somewhere rather than Wembley. Even London Stadium is probably too big, despite the sentimental reason for playing there.

Multiple arena gigs across the country is much better than 1 or 2 stadium shows in my opinion, the Maiden stage show is much more effective indoors and it allows for big fans to see more shows. There is also a perception in the music industry that any event that doesn't sell out is a flop, even though I'm sure a 90% full stadium show is still very lucrative, so it is arguably better for Maiden's status as a top-tier heavy metal band (something which I suspect Rod cares about a great deal) to consistently sell out arena tours whilst not having to curate a great supporting bill.

Multiple arena gigs across the country is much better than 1 or 2 stadium shows in my opinion, the Maiden stage show is much more effective indoors and it allows for big fans to see more shows. There is also a perception in the music industry that any event that doesn't sell out is a flop, even though I'm sure a 90% full stadium show is still very lucrative, so it is arguably better for Maiden's status as a top-tier heavy metal band (something which I suspect Rod cares about a great deal) to consistently sell out arena tours whilst not having to curate a great supporting bill.
It's better for the fans, however reducing the number of shows is crucial for Maiden's continuity in the coming years IMO.

Well certainly a stadium would be an improvement over those shit venues in the middle of nowhere. But there's a big reason why those festivals are there in the first place, it costs much less to put on an event there than it does in a stadium. So like you said, it's not only easier to take a fee from the promoter, but those festivals would also have cheaper running costs than a stadium tour to begin with.

I don't think Maiden are big enough to headline the top stadiums in England either, not the ones Metallica play, even with a strong support line up. You might be looking at Brentford or somewhere rather than Wembley. Even London Stadium is probably too big, despite the sentimental reason for playing there.
I think they could sell out a big stadium in the UK with the right line up. Id have to be big classic metal bands i.e Judas Priest, maybe make it a mini festival

Sorry Nicko (and your opinion about cloning in New Frontier), but Maiden has an urgent need to use a clone of yours on next tours. :D

In the U.S. they could mostly play the same amphitheaters that they do now. In Atlanta there's one that's held multiple Lollapaloozas, Ozzfests, and Knotfests in the past and it's the same venue that Maiden has played in several times.

I'll be laughing when Maiden proves you wrong and announces Maiden Voyage, their new annual cruise ship tour around the coasts of Florida. The 2024 lineup is gonna feature Maiden (of course), The Raven Age, As Lions, Richie Faulkner's Elegant Weapons (ft. Lauren Harris), and late night pub shows by British Lion. Tickets for lower deck start at $2,775 + fees.

trust me i have a source

That is/would be really odd(?), especially for a band like Maiden. I like Maiden's stadium shows, the energy of them.
It's better for the fans, however reducing the number of shows is crucial for Maiden's continuity in the coming years IMO.
Since they did 37 shows this year, I think ~30 (or usually 40 with 1 month off for example) shows per year and with 2-3 days in between is possible for the future.

Nicko and his son will do a panel on drumming, there will be an all acoustic show, etc. Seriously, how much do the fans get fleeced on those KISS Kruises?

I am quite critical of Maiden lately, but I am happy to see they are not doing paid meet and greets like other bands (Bruce charging £666 + VAT for a flight simulator session with him got quite close to that though).

That is/would be really odd(?), especially for a band like Maiden. I like Maiden's stadium shows, the energy of them.

I think you overestimate Maiden’s popularity. They can definitely headline very big venues all around the world and stadia in some territories, but selling out huge stadia in their home country is fan fiction, which is what @srfc was pointing out.

I think you overestimate Maiden’s popularity. They can definitely headline very big venues all around the world and stadia in some territories, but selling out huge stadia in their home country is fan fiction, which is what @srfc was pointing out.

It's no coincidence they haven't tried it again since Twickenham. I think they pulled a pretty decent crowd that day, but the venue was too big to begin with, I think Bruce and Rod's ego got the better of them and Upton Park might have been a more appropriate size for that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back