The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's no coincidence they haven't tried it again since Twickenham. I think they pulled a pretty decent crowd that day, but the venue was too big to begin with, I think Bruce and Rod's ego got the better of them and Upton Park might have been a more appropriate size for that day.

Yeah, they were served a massive slice of humble pie at Twickenham.

I still believe they can sell out smaller football stadia in the UK (a short run of 4 dates across the country), but they’d rather keep on ploughing the same furrow. Arena dates one year, Downlod festival the next, arena dates one year, Download festival the next…

Either way, as @Azas has mentioned, Maiden’s show works great in arenas but would need to be scaled up for stadia shows. A couple of drapes at each side of the stage is definitely not enough!

Either way, as @Azas has mentioned, Maiden’s show works great in arenas but would need to be scaled up for stadia shows. A couple of drapes at each side of the stage is definitely not enough!
This. I actually think that if Maiden did a 15-show stadium tour in Europe, they would sell out (like they do in South America). But, they would need to change their ways and add visual value to the show. And we all know how stubborn the main 3 guys are...

They haven't changed their stage since 2003 DOD tour FFS.

It's no coincidence they haven't tried it again since Twickenham. I think they pulled a pretty decent crowd that day, but the venue was too big to begin with, I think Bruce and Rod's ego got the better of them and Upton Park might have been a more appropriate size for that day.
I think metal bands these days prefer to play stadiums in Europe and SA. Their home countries (Europe too) and US are for arenas (like back in the day).
I still believe they can sell out smaller football stadia in the UK (a short run of 4 dates across the country)
I agree.
What do they need? Lots of pyro, slightly bigger shape of the stage/light show and maybe big screens (which is still unlikely for them despite the current tour, and I agree with them).
This. I actually think that if Maiden did a 15-show stadium tour in Europe, they would sell out (like they do in South America). But, they would need to change their ways and add visual value to the show. And we all know how stubborn the main 3 guys are...

They haven't changed their stage since 2003 DOD tour FFS.
I agree with your first comment. As for the second one, I don't think the metal bands now (or the old ones) change their stage sets for every tour (or for a specific show) - they just add one big screen, some pyro and no stage decors. That's it. KISS are different, they are the ultimate stadium band.

With all due respect, Maiden does not have stage setup that is suited for a stadium show. Stage which looks great in arena is in no way suited for stadium. That's a fact.
I would hope that if they did a stadium tour proper they would design a new stage for it. They are becoming a bit more agreeable to change lately. New gear, lighting, and screens for the current tour.

Entitled fans wanting/expecting more and more and when they don't get it the band is "lazy"
Im not entitled at all but compared to a lot of other bands Maiden dont do an awful lot other thsn produce great music and shows, which is enough for me. A lot of bands are private but do meet and greets so thats no excuse but its defo their right not to do them.

I would hope that if they did a stadium tour proper they would design a new stage for it. They are becoming a bit more agreeable to change lately. New gear, lighting, and screens for the current tour.

Since theyve used this stage for like 20+years I'd say its most likely they will use it to the end.

I still believe they can sell out smaller football stadia in the UK (a short run of 4 dates across the country), but they’d rather keep on ploughing the same furrow. Arena dates one year, Downlod festival the next, arena dates one year, Download festival the next…

A bit out of the loop, but what happened at Twickenham? Did they not sell out?

I'm also a bit surprised that stadiums are ruled out in UK, their own country. Here in Sweden they have been and are still selling out the biggest stadiums with audience of 60.000 since twenty years back

Thats the reason as a fan i hope they do maybe a stadium show in the UK next year. I dont do download anymore so its a missed gig for me. The atmosphere is crap but i think a mid sized UK stadium show with some big support would be great. Being a but selfish of course

A bit out of the loop, but what happened at Twickenham? Did they not sell out?

I'm also a bit surprised that stadiums are ruled out in UK, their own country. Here in Sweden they have been and are still selling out the biggest stadiums with audience of 60.000 since twenty years back

Nope, Twickenham did not sell out. These are the official box score data:

Iron Maiden
. July 5, 2008 at Twickenham Stadium, London, U.K.
. Gross sales of $4,429,452 Ticket prices: $99.16
. Attendance: 44,672 Capacity: 51,754
. Number of shows: 1 Number of sell-out shows: 0
. Promoter: Live Nation-U.K.

Iron Maiden can sell out massive arena tours in the UK, but their fans are less willing to travel to one-off gigs.

Im not entitled at all but compared to a lot of other bands Maiden dont do an awful lot other thsn produce great music and shows, which is enough for me. A lot of bands are private but do meet and greets so thats no excuse but its defo their right not to do them.
Bands used to do appearances at record stores and you could meet them and get a picture and autograph for free. Maiden used to do them, I've been to one. Now everyone charges for meet and greets. Celebrities who go to fan conventions will charge for photos and autographs, as well as the photo they will sign.

Perhaps they just don't feel comfortable doing them. It was expected back then. And being older now they would probably prefer saving that energy for the show. Doesn't mean they don't care about the fans any less.

Nope, Twickenham did not sell out. These are the official box score data:

Iron Maiden
. July 5, 2008 at Twickenham Stadium, London, U.K.
. Gross sales of $4,429,452 Ticket prices: $99.16
. Attendance: 44,672 Capacity: 51,754
. Number of shows: 1 Number of sell-out shows: 0
. Promoter: Live Nation-U.K.

Iron Maiden can sell out massive arena tours in the UK, but their fans are less willing to travel to one-off gigs.
Still not too bad, though. I concur, I'd rather see them in a smaller arena at home than travel to a big stadium gig. But I would try to work it out if there wasn't a better option

Yeah that capacity is not anywhere near the actually capacity either. It's 80000ish for a rugby game.

Still not too bad

Agreed, I thought they did real well, but it was just an ambitious gig.

I was there on the day and enjoyed it, a mate had worked a summer in the general area so took me on a tour of his favourite beer garden from back in the day, and some nice ale in the venue too.

I agree with your first comment. As for the second one, I don't think the metal bands now (or the old ones) change their stage sets for every tour (or for a specific show) - they just add one big screen, some pyro and no stage decors. That's it. KISS are different, they are the ultimate stadium band.
No need to change it every tour... But it would be nice if they would freshen it up every 10 years or so. LOTB was the tour to do it.

And no, I'm not talking about Metallica scale of changing things, but just little stuff here and there. Different paths, different ramps...

Actually, it seems like this year they ditched the 3 ego ramps and have gone with no gaps late in the tour. They should do things like this, but more often.

Bands used to do appearances at record stores and you could meet them and get a picture and autograph for free. Maiden used to do them, I've been to one. Now everyone charges for meet and greets. Celebrities who go to fan conventions will charge for photos and autographs, as well as the photo they will sign.

Perhaps they just don't feel comfortable doing them. It was expected back then. And being older now they would probably prefer saving that energy for the show. Doesn't mean they don't care about the fans any less.
Yeah a lot bands do it for the money now which in the current climate might be fair enough. Theyre not making much money from anything else from what i can gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back