The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new set is a massive upgrade over LOTB. The LED lights look amazing in an arena setting and the screens add extra dynamic to the backdrops.

Those inflatable pagodas really did look silly. Especially at Download where the wind blew them about, making them look like a children's bouncey castle.

Imagine if they had combined the Pagodas with the massive Eddie cushion they are using on Iron Maiden this year! :lol:

I quite like the Future Past stage set, but I prefer the cathedral one from the Legacy of the Beast tour.

Tbf, the UK "fans" deserved a bit of a kick in the teeth in the late 90's for having mostly abandoned the band and seeing them reduced to playing in clubs.

So the fans who supported them during the 90s get treated like shit for their loyalty?

They played much smaller venues in North America with Blaze yet that did not stop them touring there in 1999.

So the fans who supported them during the 90s get treated like shit for their loyalty?

They played much smaller venues in North America with Blaze yet that did not stop them touring there in 1999.
Ed Hunter Tour remains number one on my missed tour list. Unfortunately they didn't sniff nowhere near the Southeastern US on this one

Thinking about new album (probably last), I wonder what direction will they go: continue writing long songs or to sum up their career write shorter songs as they did on Killers and Iron Maiden, to close full circle.
Go with your opinions
I think the direction will be the same as the last 2 albums - a mix of long/er and shorter songs. And that's great imo. The one thing they can do is to put more than 2 short songs on the album to have an even better balance. But either way, they always make good albums.
In my wildest dreams (eh eh), Maiden brings back Derek Riggs and his aerograph for the last album.
It would be great, but I just want to cover to be awesome. Mark Wilkinson, Melvyn Grant and Akirant will do a fantastic job.
I don't think there is much of unreleased stuff.
Concert videos from past tours, please!
Sure, the Riggs artworks are great, but I don't think the DoD artwork is that bad. I quite like it.
They should release a new (improved) cover for the 20th anniversary of the album this year. They did this for NPFTD and IM.
The new set is a massive upgrade over LOTB. The LED lights look amazing in an arena setting and the screens add extra dynamic to the backdrops.

Those inflatable pagodas really did look silly. Especially at Download where the wind blew them about, making them look like a children's bouncey castle.
I think they topped (in a way) the original LOTB stage. It's a tough stage set to beat. The LED screens were the key. I liked the SJ stage last year.

Some thoughts about the London shows below.

First of all, they're in ridiculously good shape; you don't have to give them any age or other "handicap" to say it. Fantastic shows.

The performances were top-notch. It's a bit hard to be totally objective when it comes to comparing these two shows and things like crowd reaction as I was in the floor for both nights and had very different spots there, but I'd say the second night was indeed slightly better and tighter performance; somehow all the small details and such just clicked a tad bit better, but the first night was fantastic as well. Of course there was that hassle with The Trooper backdrop, but it was actually just a fun little curiosity and offered some good-spirited interaction and shared laughs for the band & the crowd.

In the first night there was a rare, although rather small, fuck-up by Adrian with the Stranger in a Strange Land solo. Might be due to Bruce blathering at the same time. I don't really get why he has to keep talking over Adrian's splendid solo anyway, but oh well... :D

A random memory from the first gig: one guy standing near me was absolutely over the moon when Stranger in a Strange Land started and stayed that way for the whole song; he was so exhilarated that I bet he could’ve taken off to fly. I sang the second verse with him and he was just bursting with joy and all smiles for the song that it might be one of the most enthusiastic reactions I’ve seen in a Maiden show myself!

At least in my immediate presence, the crowd was slightly more respectful yet very enthusiastic on Saturday, where as on Friday I saw few people that probably could've been slightly more considerate to their surroundings... But overall, very pleasant and heartwarming crowd experience for me - again!

The crowd was probably slightly more enthusiastic thorough the set on Saturday, where as on Friday the differences in reactions for the favourites and... well, Death of the Celts and such seemed to be bigger. But again, hard to be totally objective as I had quite a different spots on these shows and from the GA/floor the reactions of people in the immediate presence affects the view quite a lot, I guess. I enjoyed the first show in the middle of the crowd, not super far away from the stage but not quite near the front either. I won the FTTB for Saturday and had the pleasure to enjoy @Lego's company with that! Had great time and I'm very grateful that he got to the queue some hours before I evenarrived to the venue. Appreciated! A big thank you for great company thorough the day! My spot at the gig was on the second row, right in front of Janick, which was pretty much my intention as well, so very happy about that. :)

About the performances of individual songs:
- From the new stuff it's quite obvious that The Writing on the Wall is already a huge live song, but I'd say Days of Future Past seemed to go down surprisingly well, at least on the second night! That opening riff drove some people nuts and I'm quite fond of the song to begin with; again, it's a bit hard to say anything about the true reaction of the audience in general as I was in the second row, in front of Janick, and too concentrated on rocking out and singing along... :) Not the easiest track for Bruce, but it's a kick-ass live song for sure!
- Death of the Celts doesn't do that much for me in general, but it went down surprisingly well on Saturday; it was really cool to see Bruce doing his thing with the lyrics delivery almost right in front of me, as he sang good portion of the song very close to Janick's usual spot. Good performance and the stage show for this one works out really well
- Bruce finished the final chorus of Alexander the Great with quite a long last note (Saturday). Cool! Again, one of the set highlights!
- Hell on Earth is a majestic live song. I know some people here feel it doesn't quite come out as strong live as on the album, but I love it. Seen it three times now and the performance on Saturday was definitely the best of those three; they just nailed it! The song itself is such an epitome of modern Maiden & Steve's songwriting, but in all the good ways.

I intend to see Maiden again - no question about that - and it might very well be that these shows can't be topped; that's fine for me. Amazing weekend.
However, if I, for whatever reason, would be unable to see Iron Maiden live again, I really couldn't have asked for a better show(s) to be my last ones.

Last edited:
Thinking about new album (probably last), I wonder what direction will they go: continue writing long songs or to sum up their career write shorter songs as they did on Killers and Iron Maiden, to close full circle.
Go with your opinions
Not sure about musical direction, but for imagery, it’s time for pirate or squid Eddie, with a green/brown/turquoise deep sea color scheme.

Orr as someone mentioned before maybe they could end their career with another self titled album, and bring it back to the “street level” imagery (and sound) of the first two albums (not bloody likely!)

I would hope for a Brave New World album length, with a perfect balance of short-medium-long epic tracks. I think three epics (8-10 minutes), three short songs (4-5 minutes) and 4 delightful 6-7 minute songs.

For any new album I'd just expect Maiden will keep doing what they do. Songs will need trimmed, production will be less than stellar, but it will still be Maiden at the end of the day, and with that always comes a certain magic that only they bring.

I don't really get why he has to keep talking over Adrian's splendid solo anyway,
He really needs to stop doing this.
First of all, they're in ridiculously good shape; you don't have to give them any age or other "handicap" to say it. Fantastic shows.

Days of Future Past seemed to go down surprisingly well, at least on the second night! That opening riff drove some people nuts and I'm quite fond of the song to begin with; Not the easiest track for Bruce, but it's a kick-ass live song for sure!

Hell on Earth is a majestic live song. I know some people here feel it doesn't quite come out as strong live as on the album, but I love it. Seen it three times now and the performance on Saturday was definitely the best of those three; they just nailed it! The song itself is such an epitome of modern Maiden & Steve's songwriting, but in all the good ways.

I intend to see Maiden again - no question about that - and it might very well be that these shows can't be topped; that's fine for me. Amazing weekend.
However, if I, for whatever reason, would be unable to see Iron Maiden live again, I really couldn't have asked for a better show(s) to be my last ones.
I agree. Especially about the aforementioned songs.
Not sure about musical direction, but for imagery, it’s time for pirate or squid Eddie, with a green/brown/turquoise deep sea color scheme.

I would hope for a Brave New World album length, with a perfect balance of short-medium-long epic tracks. I think three epics (8-10 minutes), three short songs (4-5 minutes) and 4 delightful 6-7 minute songs.
Idk why, but I can't see a Maiden cover with Pirate Eddie. If they want it to be sea-themed, I guess it could be some sort of creature. It's curious if they will go with a warrior again.

As for the BNW album length comparison - I totally agree.
For any new album I'd just expect Maiden will keep doing what they do. Songs will need trimmed, production will be less than stellar, but it will still be Maiden at the end of the day, and with that always comes a certain magic that only they bring.
This.

A highlight for me too, though it reminded me of The Parchment's "Meet me theeeeeeeeeeere!!!" and I got sad that they weren't playing it. Only briefly, mind. ;)
It's definitely not briefly for me. I really hope they will play it next year, but I doubt Steve will want to drop Celts - the only possible new song to be dropped with almost the same length (and amazing backdrop).

I don't really get why he has to keep talking over Adrian's splendid solo anyway, but oh well... :D

The old git misses his spoken word tour? :D

I don’t get it either when it is pretty obvious that just by waving his arms he can get the whole arena clapping without having to even open his gob.

Bruce always does that during calm solos. Dave's solos in Phantom of the Opera and Powerslave are two other examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back