The Future Past tour 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres been some discussion about Nicko's playing this tour, he is getting old as we all are but one thing i dont understand as a drummer myself - why skip the opening fill on the Trooper? It's simple, not fast and he got the drums to do it correctly. I understand skipping the fast snare fills on CSIT, but this one i dont.

Today, as I was strolling through the park, I was thinking about ongoing Maiden tour and was very happy. And I danced and I pranced and I sang with them in my mind, with thousands of fans, who already saw this newest Maiden spectacle. The Dream is true, I thought to myself. Just to think about it, some fans, even in their wildest dreams could not imagine that the band will play Alexander The Great. Like if, they were trapped in some cold and maybe even padded cell. Then I stopped for a minute, with the wind in my hair, with the air so pure and so clean, and almost got a panic attack. It suddenly occurred to me, if the dream is really true.... then how do I know what is real? How?

I love the stage show and the addition of the video screens, definitely add to it. I'm glad they opted to not go with a different worlds theme again nor try to "out do" the LOTB show. Glad there was no SiT inflatables and such. I like the more scaled down approach here. Even Bruce not wearing the Trooper costume and waving the Union Jack this time was refreshing in a way.
The screens have always been strange for me, but it's something new and interesting. I like how they use it for most of the songs. The themes were exclusive to the previous tour (based on a game). I'm also glad they don't try to top it with even more props. The scaled down approach was more or less expected (the screens are the upgrade), but I think they could have thought of another stage prop for CSIT (as the first song) or for Time Machine, for example. Inflatable or not.

Theres been some discussion about Nicko's playing this tour, he is getting old as we all are but one thing i dont understand as a drummer myself - why skip the opening fill on the Trooper? It's simple, not fast and he got the drums to do it correctly. I understand skipping the fast snare fills on CSIT, but this one i dont.
Are you 70 years old? Have you had arthritis in you wrists and hands for years? Have you recently undergone treatment for cancer? Are you a touring musician having to deal with all this on a nightly basis playing songs you recorded 40 years ago? Give the guy a bit of a break.

Nicko's been the most likable and popular one in the band. That's why folks chant his name when they do band introductions. He connects with the fans the most and is always positive. Love his sense of humor.

He said at the end of the last tour God willing he would see us again this year. He said he was the most nervous ever for a start of a tour. I think he knows his time playing may be getting short. Enjoy Nicko while you can folks. They may be committed thru next year. And who knows we might have Joe behind the kit by then.

Are you 70 years old? Have you had arthritis in you wrists and hands for years? Have you recently undergone treatment for cancer? Are you a touring musician having to deal with all this on a nightly basis playing songs you recorded 40 years ago? Give the guy a bit of a break.

Nicko's been the most likable and popular one in the band. That's why folks chant his name when they do band introductions. He connects with the fans the most and is always positive. Love his sense of humor.

He said at the end of the last tour God willing he would see us again this year. He said he was the most nervous ever for a start of a tour. I think he knows his time playing may be getting short. Enjoy Nicko while you can folks. They may be committed thru next year. And who knows we might have Joe behind the kit by then.
Didnt mean to sound mean, just my thoughs written. Nicko is the reason i play the drums, he is my biggest idol and i hope all the best for him.

After reading all these comments here from the first 3 shows i actually understand what he said before - being more nervous than ever. It does make more sence now. But still, after all those skips with fills and simplyfying drumming it still sounds great.

Im gonna enjoy both gig this weekend at Tampere. More than ever, its my number 11 and 12 gigs to see them live. Nicko is my nro1 hero, got me in to drumming that i love.

Let's enjoy this as long as it lasts!

I would say that a lot of the frustration around the Nicko conversation is probably also just that it has been going on for many pages, to the point where it has overshadowed any other discussion of the tour. It's fair to point out that he is clearly struggling, but it's also fair to say that the tour is still early and we don't really know what it's going to look like after they've gotten into the routine of this particular setlist. It's fair to be worried about Maiden being able to continue delivering the high quality performances that we expect of them and it's natural to speculate about their future given their ages. But right now the discussion seems to be going in the same circle and it's probably tiring for a lot of folks to read. I know I'm feeling exhausted by it! I just want to mention that there are other aspects of the tour to discuss, here are things I'm particularly curious about:

1: It seems like the guitar players changed up their rigs a little bit to allow for digital modeling, i.e. using emulated sounds to closely match the guitar tones from the 80s. I'm curious if all three guitar players have adopted this system and how their sounds vary from song to song.

2: We've had five new songs premiered on this particular tour. I'm curious what crowd reception is to these new songs. This is also probably the most deep cut heavy set we've had since 2006, if not ever. Maiden is about to play in front of the largest North American crowd they've played to in decades. Are they going to bring out that same setlist to a crowd expecting to hear NOTB, Run to the Hills, and other classics? It's not like Maiden to alter the setlists for a particular audience, but it's also not like Maiden to play this kind of show.

3: There's a lot of Nicko talk, but how about some of the other members? Seems like this is a really Adrian heavy show solo wise, but I'm also curious about the solo moments for the other guitar players. CSIT actually has one of my favorite Murray solos - how's he doing on it?

----------------------------------------------------------

One more thing: lots of new members in this thread which is great! Here are some other threads you might be interested in:

1: We are in the final rounds of the Iron Maiden survivor, make sure to get your votes in! https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/iron-maiden-survivor-7-round-35-finals.72220/

2: LC just reopened the song polls. We've been tracking song ratings now for nearly twenty years, resulting in the most definitive fan ratings of Maiden songs on the internet. Add in your votes for Senjutsu as well as the other albums to be part of this ongoing project. https://forum.maidenfans.com/categories/song-and-album-commentaries.66/

3: Similarly, you can post your own averages for each album. Here's the link for Senjutsu: https://forum.maidenfans.com/thread...lbum-judgment-and-song-ranking-averages.72302

4: Tell us your album rankings and your favorite Maiden songs: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/your-album-ranking.72297/

5: Do you listen to other bands besides Maiden? Have you heard any other solid albums this year? Tell us about them here or find some new music to check out: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/best-new-music-2023-edition.72231/

6: Join in on this discussion about other unplayed Maiden songs that could be brought out in the future: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/unplayed-live-songs-and-the-future-of-maiden-whats-next.72303/

7: Help us get to a million posts by posting any random thoughts, telling us what vehicle you are riding in, or telling us a little about yourself: https://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/lets-try-and-get-1-000-000-replies-to-this-post.193/page-6419

Hope to see you all in the other threads!

…and well done. It's possibly the last great stage and lightning rig
Exactly. And I remember that I was too young in 1988 to go and see them live, I was 13 years old. But wanted to see them since 1985. So in 1990 the big day came when I was 15 - and I was deeply disappointed to see the No Prayer tour set up and missing Adrian on stage. It was extra bitter because LAD and Maiden England were my fave albums for a long time back then. Never mind, nowadays NPFTD is among my top fave Maiden albums.

3: There's a lot of Nicko talk, but how about some of the other members? Seems like this is a really Adrian heavy show solo wise, but I'm also curious about the solo moments for the other guitar players. CSIT actually has one of my favorite Murray solos - how's he doing on it?
Davey is imo the biggest positive "surprise" of this tour. Looking much fitter, playing album solos practically note by note and also got his tone really close to the SIT one as well. His solos on CSIT, Alex and Prisoner are sounding great. Made fewer mistakes than Adrian as well.

But right now the discussion seems to be going in the same circle and it's probably tiring for a lot of folks to read. I know I'm feeling exhausted by it!
I feel this way. Maiden, just like everyone else, are not perfect nor above criticism but after awhile too much negativity and nitpicking is a turnoff for me and makes me think if I should take a bit of a break here sometimes. But I just love it here too much :lol:

Maiden is about to play in front of the largest North American crowd they've played to in decades. Are they going to bring out that same setlist to a crowd expecting to hear NOTB, Run to the Hills, and other classics? It's not like Maiden to alter the setlists for a particular audience, but it's also not like Maiden to play this kind of show.
This. I've said before they could very well change the setlist a good bit if they wanted to for a large US audience. They have a month off after they finish in Europe so there is time to make changes. Agreed, it's not like them to do something like this but Power Trip would be the best scenario to do it, if ever.

Davey is imo the biggest positive "surprise" of this tour. Looking much fitter, playing album solos practically note by note and also got his tone really close to the SIT one as well. His solos on CSIT, Alex and Prisoner are sounding great. Made fewer mistakes than Adrian as well.
I know Adrian is the Golden Child around here but I love Davey and Jan as well. Dave is looking and sounding great this tour.

Does anybody have a picture of the aforementioned Kemper and Axe FX on the stage? Or a video link and a time estimate.

Was wondering when Maiden would get on the Axe FX bandwagon. They have to be among the last major holdouts of major touring artists, even Jazz guitarists have gotten on board recently.

Was wondering when Maiden would get on the Axe FX bandwagon. They have to be among the last major holdouts of major touring artists, even Jazz guitarists have gotten on board recently.
They went wit a hybrid it seems. AxeFx/Kemper for GK sounds and usual amps for others.

Davey went for FM3, while Jan has Kempers. What H uses is still unknown.

The difference between Davey's SIT solo sound and other songs is quite noticable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back