Best New Music 2023 edition

MY FAVOURITE JANUARY ALBUMS:

jan albums.png

• Uriah Heep - Chaos & Colour (Hard Rock)
  • Riverside - ID Identity (Prog Rock/Metal)
  • Black Star Riders - Wrong Side of Paradise (Hard Rock)
  • Gaz Coombes - Turn the Car Around (Alternative)
  • Nora Kamm - One (Jazz)
  • Gabi Hartmann - Gabi Hartmann (Vocal Jazz)

I´m not a Katatonia fan either tbh but the artwork from the new album looked really great so I listened to a few songs but I don´t think I will buy it.

Stumbled upon this on YouTube, it's very fun. Like a less heavy early Mastodon, with better vocals.

MY FAVOURITE FEBRUARY ALBUMS:

FAV FEB.png
  • Delain - Dark Waters (Metal)
  • Robin McAuley - Alive (Hard Rock / Melodic Rock)
  • UFO - Werewolves of London (Hard Rock)
  • Rick Wakeman & The English Rock Ensemble - A Gallery of the Imagination (Prog Rock)

George Lynch's long-incubating industrial project was finally released on March 10th, and while it didn't fully hit me after the first 2-3 listens, it's now fully sunken its hooks into me. There are elements of Filter, earlier Marilyn Manson, Underground Moon, Primal Rock Rebellion, and classic Lynch in there. Lynch lets loose with the soloing a few times, but that’s the exception rather than the rule -- here he's focused on more on groove, melodic lines, and atmosphere to support the songs.

There's a lot of variety across the tracks, though they all stay within the bounds of industrial music. Some are a bit punkier, some are more chill, and others are more bluesy or rocky. Lynch gets to show some very different sides of himself with the guitar work here, though some bits are more familiar, and it's all recognizably him. He makes use of a few different vocalists on the album, including main vocalist Devix Szell, Richard Patrick of Filter, Tommy Victor of Prong, and Jason Charles Miller of Godhead, though their styles are similar enough that it's not jarring from song to song.

If you like this style of music, this album is definitely worth a listen. "Right" is probably the most approachable single for metal fans:

New Depeche Mode album Memento Mori next week! I hope it´s better than the uninspired Spirit. I really couldn´t get into that one. Their last great album was Playing The Angel.

Sweet & Lynch - "You'll Never Be Alone" off the upcoming album Heart & Sacrifice out May 19th through Frontiers. Their third album, from about the only supergroup I know to actually put out worthwile records.

MY FAVOURITE MARCH ALBUMS:

marchfavs.png

• Haken - Fauna (Metal)
  • Hans Zimmer - Live (Soundtrack)
  • The Answer - Sundowners (Hard Rock)
  • Fish - Vigil's End UK Tour '21 (Prog Rock)
  • Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (Live at Wembley 1974) (Prog Rock)

474.jpg

Marauder - Metal Constructions VII

Despite some really weird fundamentalist Christian vibes (cf. Holy Bible), this is a really cool traditional but modern sounding heavy metal album. The Maiden and Priest influences are pretty strong, but unlike the thousands of classic metal copycat bands out there, these guys somehow make it sound fresh.

474.jpg

Marauder - Metal Constructions VII

Despite some really weird fundamentalist Christian vibes (cf. Holy Bible), this is a really cool traditional but modern sounding heavy metal album. The Maiden and Priest influences are pretty strong, but unlike the thousands of classic metal copycat bands out there, these guys somehow make it sound fresh.
listening right now!, many thanks!

Edited: It's very good, but there's nothing that surprised me there. The singer sounds like KIske and others 'I'm going to change the voice here and look like James Hetfield.' hey…it works!!! Sometimes they have Metallica Elements and other they have traditional heavy Metal elements sounded very Maiden. They have mixed a lot of Metal genres there. Thrash Metal, Heavy Metal & Power Metal.

Last edited:
Very cool! but I only found this single.
More info: Debut album is slated for release on April 21. A second single can be streamed on Bandcamp now. Blood Star was founded by Visigoth's guitarist. Supposedly this is the singer's first band, and she's great.

Last edited:
MY FAVOURITE APRIL ALBUMS:

APRIL.png

• Night Demon - Outsider (Metal)
  • Enslaved - Heimdal (Metal)
  • Visions of Atlantis - Pirates over Wacken (Metal)
  • Paul Gilbert - The DIO Album (Metal)
  • Cecile Mclorin Salvant - Melusine (Vocal Jazz)
  • Walter Smith III - Return to Casual (Jazz)
  • Tribulation - Hamartia EP (Metal)
  • Metallica - 72 Seasons (Metal)
  • Overkill - Scorched (Metal)
  • Jethro Tull - Rökflöte (Prog Rock)
  • Revolution Saints - Eagle Flight (Hard Rock)
  • Laufey - A Night at the Symphony (Vocal Jazz)

Back