The Final Frontier charts' thread

Yeah, I'm pleased with #4.

Maiden's competition isn't the pop crowd.  It's other metal/rock releases and a #4 chart is respectable.  They are clearly the second biggest metal band in the US so I wouldn't exactly say they are underground in any way.  If you like heavy music you've heard of Iron Maiden.

They thankfully still tour here because they make boatloads of money doing so. 

CountryDebut andPeak
Australia
2​
2​
Austria
1​
1​
Belgium
6​
6​
Croatia
1​
1​
Czech
1​
1​
Finland
1​
1​
France
1​
1​
Germany
1​
1​
Ireland
3​
3​
Netherlands
2​
2​
New Zealand
1​
1​
Norway
1​
1​
Portugal
1​
1​
Spain
1​
1​
Sweden
1​
1​
Switzerland
1​
1​
UK
1​
1​
USA
4​
4​

Getting hard to keep up!

Keep lying to yourselevs and keep saying how selling 60k in its release week is an achievement. The results from the rest of the world speak for themselves.

johnglen said:
Keep lying to yourselevs and keep saying how selling 60k in its release week is an achievement. The results from the rest of the world speak for themselves.

Man, why do you care so much?  Saying this to a bunch of Maiden fans isn't going to do any good, we did what we can.  You're preaching to the choir. 

And you know it is possible that a good chunk of folks decided not to buy the new record simply because they didn't like it.  That's allowed to happen too.

johnglen said:

Meaning what? They were 6th in Belgium... THAT shocked me. A European country isn't gaga over Maiden? wow. 4th in the U.S IS a major achievement and nobody is lying to themselves. As stated repeatedly on this thread and others, America has a VERY narrow taste in music mainly dictated by shitty FM radio and MTV.

Onhell said:
Meaning what? They were 6th in Belgium... THAT shocked me. A European country isn't gaga over Maiden? wow. 4th in the U.S IS a major achievement and nobody is lying to themselves. As stated repeatedly on this thread and others, America has a VERY narrow taste in music mainly dictated by shitty FM radio and MTV.
They didn't tour extensively in Belgium though. Plus the bolded line more  than backs up what i'm trying to say.

johnglen said:

You're entitled to that train of thought and though I disagree I accept it. However in your previous posts you insulted an entire nation because their musical taste is different to yours which is a bit sad really.

johnglen said:
They didn't tour extensively in Belgium though. Plus the bolded line more  than backs up what i'm trying to say.

No it doesn't. It clearly debunks your pessimist attitude since Maiden DOESN'T get played on MTV or FM radio in the U.S and STILL made it to #4. Belgium is a small country, they don't need to tour it "extensively." Seriously?

Harmlock said:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=145069

^

Just checked out that link and it says that Canada hit #1 as well!

So it does... here is where we stand

CountryDebut andPeak
Australia
2​
2​
Austria
1​
1​
Belgium
6​
6​
Canada
1​
1​
Croatia
1​
1​
Czech
1​
1​
Finland
1​
1​
France
1​
1​
Germany
1​
1​
Ireland
3​
3​
Netherlands
2​
2​
New Zealand
1​
1​
Norway
1​
1​
Portugal
1​
1​
Spain
1​
1​
Sweden
1​
1​
Switzerland
1​
1​
UK
1​
1​
USA
4​
4​

johnglen said:
They have always had extremely shitty taste in music, among other things.
62.000 for a market as big as the U.S is PATHETIC.  Hell , it will do 30.000 first week ,in my country (Greece) for God's sake !! The U.S market has always been a black hole for Iron Maiden and it's quite sad considering the efford they have dedicated to capture that market.
johnglen said:
I am not insulting the Americans that bought the album i am insulting the Americans that DIDN'T  buy the album plus i have an issue with Americans , when it comes to music, in general cause with their shitty taste they have destroyed many great bands (among them is IM after SSOASS). From the hair metal of the eighties (when even Judas Priest ended up playin hair metal in Turbo just to be popular in the U.S), to the wimpy pseudo thrash of the late eighties (when almost every good thrash metal band made its sound more commersial again to please the American public that was warming up to Metallica) to the horrible metalcore (with the shitty Pantera selling like crazy and dumbing down the whole metal scene with their simplistic music and horrible vocals)...

As far as the usual radio excuse, well it's not like Maiden get all the radio time in the world in the countries that their albums are selling like hot cakes.
Agreed completely.

Onhell that last list includes Canada this time.

Onhell said:
Belgium is a small country, they don't need to tour it "extensively." Seriously?

Still Maiden decided to play Belgium, and not Holland, not France, not Switzerland, not Portugal, not the Czech Republic and not Croatia, all countries where the album did better.

Ah, well the Belgium gig was a bit "in between" some of these countries, and the tour was planned way before these results were known. Still, I thought it was kind of weird to see these differences. Belgium is known for their more enthusiastic crowds, at least more enthusiastic than Holland when it comes to metal gigs.

johnglen said:
The U.S market has always been a black hole for Iron Maiden and it's quite sad considering the efford they have dedicated to capture that market.

Maiden is still trying but I wouldn't be surprised if the focus in 2011 will be more in Europe and others zones, than in the US. I hope for the loyal US fans I'm wrong but I wouldn't hope too much yet.

63,000 and #4 is great! Like I said, that's what Korn sold in the first week with their new album and that's with radio play. Maiden sold that many with NO radio play!

Is that even a relevant argument anymore?  I don't know anyone who listens to radio.  And I'm pretty sure they don't play Maiden on the radio in Canada or Europe either.

Donner said:
Is that even a relevant argument anymore?  I don't know anyone who listens to radio.  And I'm pretty sure they don't play Maiden on the radio in Canada or Europe either.

Haha, yeah indeed. Someone should dare to say this to Bruce, Rod or any other of the Maiden family. :)

You honestly think that NO ONE listens to radio? If that's true, then why is it that the bands who do get radio play sell the most copies of their albums? Godsmack and Avenged Sevenfold both sold over 100,000 copies of their newest albums.

johnglen said:
They didn't tour extensively in Belgium though.

Actually, this is a completely bullshit argument.  They had one gig in Belgium, which has a population of 10 million.  To get as many shows in relation to population, Maiden should have done THIRTY shows in the US.  Instead, they did 16.  Plus, the shows in the US are generally smaller than the European stadium shows; that Belgium show was apparently a huge festival (correct me if I'm wrong Foro).  So stop saying that Maiden toured the US "extensively", they toured most countries on this tour more extensively simply because they are so much smaller.

Back