The Final Frontier charts' thread

It was the biggest audience they ever had in Belgium (yes, their were more bands that day, but still...).
About 60,000 people.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
You honestly think that NO ONE listens to radio? If that's true, then why is it that the bands who do get radio play sell the most copies of their albums? Godsmack and Avenged Sevenfold both sold over 100,000 copies of their newest albums.
Would anyone like to challenge this?

Forostar said:
It was the biggest audience they ever had in Belgium (yes, their were more bands that day, but still...).
About 60,000 people.
I thought the show in São Paulo back in 2009 was their biggest crowd for a solo show with 100,000 people? :eek:

Brazil always has had lots of heart for Maiden and metal in general. I still wonder about the ticket prices in that country. ;)

You honestly think that NO ONE listens to radio? If that's true, then why is it that the bands who do get radio play sell the most copies of their albums? Godsmack and Avenged Sevenfold both sold over 100,000 copies of their newest albums.

Well, I don't know really.  Here, they toured extensively (a gig of 40,000 people in a country of 5 million: almost 1% of the country saw Maiden) and they got radio airplay beginning at midnight when the album was released on the big national rock station...  But then, the album went platinum. Despite this, I would guess that Maiden would still have gone to number 1 without airplay, just because they have so many fans.  I would be sceptical about radio's influence, because the stuff that gets played on the radio tends to be stuff that people would like anyway.

I'm talking about no radio play in the USA. And yes, people do listen to radio here. How do you think the bands I mentioned sold over 100,000 copies of their last albums?

Does radio play include XM\Sirius?  IIRC, last time Maiden dropped an album, they played it on some XM station.  Hell, with DOD, I saw adverts all over ESPN.  I remember tons of talk about Priest's last one, and the Oz one.  I just haven't listened to XM lately.  SMX could answer that one for you.

And, I don't think that if Maiden got more radio play, they would get that many more sales.  Honestly, A7X appeals to a younger audience that buys a ton of shit.  There aren't as many Maiden fans as there are hormone enraged kids that have to keep up with the next kid around the block.  Seriously, how many 17 year old guys buy a cd that they know their girl friend will like to listen to while driving in their car so they can get turned on?  Tons.  Its a pop thing, not a radio thing.

Invader said:
Well, I don't know really.  Here, they toured extensively (a gig of 40,000 people in a country of 5 million: almost 1% of the country saw Maiden) and they got radio airplay beginning at midnight when the album was released on the big national rock station...  But then, the album went platinum. Despite this, I would guess that Maiden would still have gone to number 1 without airplay, just because they have so many fans.  I would be sceptical about radio's influence, because the stuff that gets played on the radio tends to be stuff that people would like anyway.

I still think radio is a huge influence on the casual music listener - those who aren't necessarily visiting music websites or following specific bands or checking out the local record store weekly.  My wife, for example - she listens to the radio pretty non-stop while driving, and the songs she hears on whatever pop stations she likes get stuck in her head, which in turn results in me having to cover my face while I buy a Lady Gaga album while wearing my Somewhere in Time shirt.  <_<

I'm talking about FM metal radio stations. Such as ours: http://93x.com/

Our FM metal station, 96.7 here in Southern Cali, still never plays Maiden.  They'll play Ozzy's latest single, old Dio, Ozzy-era Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth (once in a blue moon), you name it, but a Maiden play is very rare.

I'm talking about FM metal radio stations. Such as ours: http://93x.com/

OK, but I'm saying that it doesn't matter.  Of course people listen to the radio, otherwise there wouldn't be anything on it.  

The people that want to listen to metal, especially in this day and age, will find a way to listen to it.  Johnny, driving in his jeep with 20's and 1000w subs isn't gonna run to the local Music Barn and buy Maiden, just cause it popped up on his FM dial.  If he doesn't already like it, chances are slim he is doing anything about it just cause its on the radio.  Maiden does have younger fans, but I bet over 70% of them are the children of current Maiden fans, and that they will have access to the music that the parents get.

I'm talking about no radio play in the USA. And yes, people do listen to radio here. How do you think the bands I mentioned sold over 100,000 copies of their last albums?

Yes, I realise that.  But my point still stands: music played on the radio is music that the listeners are expected to like anyway.  To echo Wasted's post, a person who doesn't like Maiden won't start buying Maiden just because it's played on the radio.  Instead, the broadcasters play stuff that they think the listeners will like.  It may be that if a particular song wasn't played on the radio, some people wouldn't hear it, but it's still the type of music that appeals to the listeners. 
Maiden does have younger fans, but I bet over 70% of them are the children of current Maiden fans, and that they will have access to the music that the parents get.

This just... baffles me.  Sometimes I have a hard time understanding how really different it is there, and that's in no way meant as an insult.

Though we are still waiting for some 1st week chart positions, there's already an indication coming through of second week chart positions and they're quite startling!

According to the mid-weeks in the UK, TFF looks set to stay in the UK Top 3.  You have to go back to 1982 with The Number Of The Beast to find a Maiden album that had such a high second week position!

p4warrior said:
Our FM metal station, 9.67 here in Southern Cali, still never plays Maiden.  They'll play Ozzy's latest single, old Dio, Ozzy-era Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth (once in a blue moon), you name it, but a Maiden play is very rare.

And I bet ya this is not the only rock/metal oriented radio station that does that. Now, I wonder why. We are all discussing how Maiden pull it through with very little radio exposure, but why don't they get airplay? How come Priest and Ozzy which are British get played on the radio? Even here, they didn't play Maiden on the networks since the 80s. Since the 80s! Why is that?
By the way - Hungary - also No. 1! :bigsmile:

http://mahasz.hu/?menu=slagerlistak&men ... emez_lista

pilau said:

Hate to clog up this thread... maybe there's a better way to keep this sucker updated?

CountryDebut andPeak
Australia
2​
2​
Austria
1​
1​
Belgium
6​
6​
Canada
1​
1​
Croatia
1​
1​
Czech
1​
1​
Finland
1​
1​
France
1​
1​
Germany
1​
1​
Hungary
1​
1​
Ireland
3​
3​
Netherlands
2​
2​
New Zealand
1​
1​
Norway
1​
1​
Portugal
1​
1​
Spain
1​
1​
Sweden
1​
1​
Switzerland
1​
1​
UK
1​
1​
USA
4​
4​

I'm counting 15 #1's, assuming these are all correct.  And assuming I can count.

Back