The Final Frontier charts' thread

Habberdasher said:
Dude, Zakk f-ing Wylde's Black Label Society was #4 this week in the U.S.. Maiden better seriously outperform that pile of turd
Don't forget Zakk Wylde has a pre-install base of white trash wannabe bikers who will buy anything he puts out.

God, BLS sucks. I dug them in highschool.....but then again I liked Korn and Limp Bizkit too.

I say this as an American myself, I constantly find myself questioning the taste and the IQ of the populace when complete trash is what's generally being listened to while in Europe, great stuff is still popular with great shows coming through there.

wsoul1 said:
The real problem lies in that good hard rock/metal is not played on the radio (besides on some college and independent stations) and it's not on the television either. Many people here in the states hear what is played on the radio and follow the herd in supporting what is force fed to them by the suits. Many people i talk to do not even realize maiden is still making music. Out of sight out of mind i guess. I have noticed over the years many of my fellow Americans are big on instant gratification. With complete disregard for the inherent consequences. Unfortunately, this is a trend that is gaining momentum.

That's also why record stores are dying, because people want to download crap immediately instead of going through the "work" of going to the store, then putting the cd in a stereo to play, or the needle on a record ::)  That and they listen to nothing that would be worth owning on a physical format anyway.

Man On The Edge said:
God, BLS sucks. I dug them in highschool.....but then again I liked Korn and Limp Bizkit too.

I say this as an American myself, I constantly find myself questioning the taste and the IQ of the populace when complete trash is what's generally being listened to while in Europe, great stuff is still popular with great shows coming through there.

I can agree with the "taste" statement. I do have a hard time correlating musical taste with someones intelligence. I much prefer bands coming out of europe over american bands at this particular time and they do have numerous festivals every year with fantastic lineups. Good music might not be as popular there as you think.

http://allcharts.org/music/europe/albums.htm

Man On The Edge said:

Believe me, there's crappy mainstream bubblegum pop there just like here. And we get great shows too! But I get what you're saying... we're (unfortunately) still somewhat backwoods here.

Man On The Edge said:

I can't believe you are lumping Black Label Society with Korn and the Bizkit. Zak is awesome and his concerts are great. of the Few good acts left actually.

Also to add here that possibly Black Label Society are already or stay some more weeks in charts, while Maiden lasts one week only one top.
This means that they sell a lot one to three weeks and then decline.
For instance Eminem, is already some weeks on top...
So by the end I guess even Maiden would prefer to stay 8 weeks on top 15 than one week on top 3  ;)

Onhell said:
I can't believe you are lumping Black Label Society with Korn and the Bizkit. Zak is awesome and his concerts are great. of the Few good acts left actually.
agreed. and you can't compare BLS to Limp Bizshit because Zakk hates them.

The problem with Zakk has and always will be quality control. If he put stuff out less often (typically, I know it's been a few years for him this go around) and maybe culled the 3 good songs from each BLS album and made one killer effort it'd be alright. The fact remains that he has no quality control and any single "song" Zakk slaps together ends up on the final product, and it shows.

Good player though, and seemingly an alright guy if not a bit a fake tough guy.

My dad's band opened for him and the four horsemen back in the early 90s. That was pretty cool.

wsoul1 said:
I can agree with the "taste" statement. I do have a hard time correlating musical taste with someones intelligence. I much prefer bands coming out of europe over american bands at this particular time and they do have numerous festivals every year with fantastic lineups. Good music might not be as popular there as you think.

http://allcharts.org/music/europe/albums.htm

It actually wasn't my intention to equate intelligence with taste, I could've phrased that better

johnglen said:
Actually the U.S number is extremely disappointing, considering the touring that Maiden has done there since 2000. It sold less than freaking "Scream" from Ozzy !!! TFF will be n.1 almost everywhere BUT the U.S and Maiden just finished touring there !!!
True, but Ozzy gets radio play. For Maiden, who gets very little to NONE, that's quite impressive.

Maiden stays a week because it has a loyal fanbase, and on 1000 fans, there come a few people, that will just buy it like "ah, i know them, they did some good stuff, i could buy this, give it a try". So we, the fans, we buy the record as soon as it comes out, and after we do it, nobody's left.

Face it, Maiden doesn't produce accessible music. Average Joe doesn't want to listen 13 minute song about some ancient sea-faring curse.
He wants to listen to catchy commercial beat with cheesy lyrics. Don't get me wrong - i don't think that music preferences relate with IQ or smartness. I know some people that are really smart and good human beings, everything on spot. However they listen to domestic shit music that even American pop can't be compared with.
When i ask them why do they like that crap, they say that it's fun and they like to go to those clubs, have a drink, dance, etc.

I don't agree but i perfectly understand.

However, there is a social difference. We might not be necessarily smarter, but we have a lot more heart, and a lot more critical viewpoint of the things around us. Talking about people that really dig "alternative" music, where metal and Maiden also fits. We don't follow trends and we won't eat every piece of shit that comes out of record industry's asshole.  When i go out, i see a lot of kids looking just the same, listening to songs that are just the same, by female singers that all look the same. That's why i mentioned critical thinking. If you are a sheep in a herd, you don't think differently.

Donner said:
It's absolutely astounding to me that this album is setting up to sell 9,000 more than AMOLAD did.  Those numbers are pretty impressive, especially in an age where most folks don't feel like they should have to pay for music.
Actually, the most it's predicted to sell is 70,000 which makes it UP TO 14,000 more than AMOLAD

Onhell said:

You should look into the less commercially out there stuff from indie labels like Southernlord or Tank Crimes if you want to hear some great harder to find/newer bands, because that statement makes me think you don't listen to any bands that you can't simply waltz into Best Buy to get an album from.

Man On The Edge said:
You should look into the less commercially out there stuff from indie labels like Southernlord or Tank Crimes if you want to hear some great harder to find/newer bands, because that statement makes me think you don't listen to any bands that you can't simply waltz into Best Buy to get an album from.

Who cares where you can buy their CDs. A good band is a good band regardless of where you get their music (EARLY In Flames is available at Best Buy...).  I'll let this one comment slide since you're new and have no idea about my musical tastes.

johnglen said:
Actually the U.S number is extremely disappointing, considering the touring that Maiden has done there since 2000. It sold less than freaking "Scream" from Ozzy !!! TFF will be n.1 almost everywhere BUT the U.S and Maiden just finished touring there !!!
Something interesting regarding Ozzy: While his new album sold 81,000 copies, his last album Black Rain in 2007 sold 152,000. So, Ozzy's record sales are dropping while Maiden's are rising.
:wtf: Arcade Fire is playing theaters and auditoriums on their upcoming US tour but they're above Maiden on Amazon?

Back