The Best Chorus in Metal?

Perhaps Sea of Madness from Maiden and Home or Breaking All Illusions from DT. I'm sure there are lots to be named but these come to mind first.

The chorus is at 3:03.

Sorry guys, I know you're anticlassics here but there is no way the best Maiden chorus is not Run To The Hills. Every live video I've seen of any Maiden song is instant vindication of that.

More generally if I try to think of a massive metal chorus from another band, Enter Sandman is the winner by a fair margin.

I find Run to the Hills very boring, to be honest. It was one of the first Maiden songs I heard and liked but when I discovered other stuff, Hills started to distance itself from me more and more.

One of the best Sabaton choruses, epic and anthem-like.

I find Run to the Hills very boring, to be honest. It was one of the first Maiden songs I heard and liked but when I discovered other stuff, Hills started to distance itself from me more and more.

One of the best Sabaton choruses, epic and anthem-like.

Yes but what other song gets the live reception that does, esp. The chorus? The only songs I'd be comfortable saying are The Trooper, Number Of The Beast and Fear Of The Dark. These are surely more appropriate measures than personal opinion.

Many people on this forum have lauded Sabaton. Several of those people have musical tastes that I respect and that seem to match mine (well beyond a shared love of Maiden). So, I have listened to the songs they have linked, including all the songs in this thread. I have explored more of their music online. I have genuinely tried to like Sabaton. And after all of that, I have come to one inescapable conclusion:

Sabaton is fucking terrible.

LLFpO5q.gif

Sorry guys, I know you're anticlassics here but there is no way the best Maiden chorus is not Run To The Hills. Every live video I've seen of any Maiden song is instant vindication of that.
Yep. Run to the Hills for me aswell. How do you come up with stuff like that. Amazing.

Many people on this forum have lauded Sabaton. Several of those people have musical tastes that I respect and that seem to match mine (well beyond a shared love of Maiden). So, I have listened to the songs they have linked, including all the songs in this thread. I have explored more of their music online. I have genuinely tried to like Sabaton. And after all of that, I have come to one inescapable conclusion:

This reminds me of Perun's Helloween post. What is it that you don't like then? It's true, they use very similar formulas and techniques in most of their songs but I like to listen to Sabaton for the sheer power and epicness. The melodies are catchy and offer much more to me than the average Power Metal band. Besides, Joakim is a beast. What is it that makes people hate Sabaton more than the much crappier Power Metal that is out there? Is it their fame and renown?

Just to add, I don't really like them either.
This reminds me of Perun's Helloween post. What is it that you don't like then? It's true, they use very similar formulas and techniques in most of their songs but I like to listen to Sabaton for the sheer power and epicness. The melodies are catchy and offer much more to me than the average Power Metal band. Besides, Joakim is a beast. What is it that makes people hate Sabaton more than the much crappier Power Metal that is out there? Is it their fame and renown?
I don't hate them, but they're just so incredibly cheesy; and I can't really square that with "sheer power and epicness". Too much pomp; too clean sounding for me personally (i.e. I'm not a big fan of that guitar tone); and the singing is just a little too, eh, operatic. Dunno, just not my cup of tea. I appreciate people on here like listening to them (as Cornfed says), but the amount of love/praise seems a little inflated.

Last edited:
I don't see power and epicness in Sabaton's music. I see a band that's desperately trying to come off as epic and failing to do so. Way too happy sounding for their subject material, terrible singer, unoriginal riffs, cheesy lyrics.

I usually don't like anthemic metal which goes for my disdain for power metal and symphonic metal but there still are bands that actually make the striving for power and epicness enjoyable. The fact that there are bands that go for that sort of effect that I can enjoy makes it clear that disliking Sabaton for me is not just a matter of disliking their style but their makeup as a band as well.

Back