Slayer

Several metal musicians have weighed in on SLAYER's decision to replace drummer Dave Lombardo (pictured below) for the upcoming Australian tour following a disagreement over internal financial issues. According to the drummer, 90% of SLAYER's tour revenue is "being deducted as expenses, including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us."

Russ Strahan (HOUNDS OF HASSELVANDER, PENTAGRAM, LAND OF DOOM): "I have a deep respect for SLAYER and their music. This is one of the original thrash metal bands and a band that so many have been influenced by. Like most, I am shocked by the current situation but I have to say, being a musician who has been in several bands and has toured, there are things that go deeper than people outside the band realize.

"I am not by any means condoning or supporting any decisions based on selfishness and greed. I just know from experience that there is usually more than meets the eye on the inside of any major change like this.

"I hope that this is not as it seems and that the guys can work it out, but like a lot of you that have commented, it doesn't look good and I do agree that Dave is a master and just as major a part as everyone else in the band. Again, I hope that this is something that can be worked out, because there are a lot of disappointed fans!

"On one final note… I can't even afford one of those $5,000.00 American BC Rich guitars and have to work a stinking 9-5 job that I hate just to get by, so to put it in perspective, Kerry [King, SLAYER guitarist], you got it pretty damn good compared to most of us."

Gus Pynn (SACRIFICE): "Just read Dave Lombardo's press release. Kerry King is a douche. How long before Tom [Araya, bass/vocals] leaves? Man, some guys are just dickheads. So glad almost 26 years ago when they came knocking I said 'NO!!' I hope Tom leaves. Kerry will just replace him with some clone and take 90% of the gate which is the way he wants it. Sleep well, Kerry.

"Paul Bostaph is crushing... but Dave is a fucking monster. just watched fixed camera shot on him just two days ago and man the only guy to match him on crush would be Tom Hunting [of EXODUS]. You can put a clone in his place, but his touch you can't replace."

Bård G. Eithun (a.k.a. Faust; SCUM, ABORYM, EMPEROR): "So, Kerry King, did all the ink give you any sort of brain damage? Stop fucking around and just realize that Lombardo is just a big of a star as you are. If not bigger. Who wants to see SLAYER without good 'ol Dave anyway? Cut the crap."

Alex Skolnick (TESTAMENT): "Disappointing news. Hung with Dave at NAMM and Kerry King a few days later. Never would've guessed. Not my place (or anyone else's, really) to comment on others' business. But as a fan and friend of the band, you hate to see falling out."

According to Soundwave promoter AJ Maddah, SLAYER has tapped drummer Jon Dette (pictured below) to sit to sit behind the kit for the California thrash band's appearances on this year's festival tour, which is scheduled to kick off on Saturday, February 23 in Brisbane, Australia.

Dette joined SLAYER in 1996 when Paul Bostaph left to work on his side project, THE TRUTH ABOUT SEAFOOD. Dette performed with SLAYER at the 1996 Ozzfest to promote the band's covers album, "Undisputed Attitude".

Prior to joining SLAYER, Dette appeared on TESTAMENT's "Live At The Fillmore" album, which came out in 1995.

Dette is currently playing with ANTHRAX as a temporary replacement for the band's longtime drummer Charlie Benante, who "is dealing with personal issues right now and can't leave" the U.S., according to ANTHRAX guitarist Scott Ian.

SLAYER has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET regarding the band's decision to replace drummer Dave Lombardo for the upcoming Australian tour:

"SLAYER confirms that Jon Dette will drum for the band on its Australian tour that starts this Saturday, February 23 in Brisbane. As regards Dave Lombardo's Facebook post, SLAYER does not agree with Mr. Lombardo's substance or the timeline of the events, except to acknowledge that Mr. Lombardo came to the band less than a week before their scheduled departure for Australia to present an entirely new set of terms for his engagement that were contrary to those that had been previously agreed upon. The band was unable to reach an agreement on these new demands in the short amount of time available prior to leaving for Australia. There is more to the account than what Mr. Lombardo has offered, but out of respect to him, SLAYER will not be commenting further. SLAYER is grateful to its Australian fans for their understanding of this unfortunate last-minute change, and very much looks forward to seeing them at these shows."

Kerry King is destroying his band. I know he is the mainman, but he should realize that Slayer is a four-piece and that none of its original members can be replaced without damage. This is no Maiden or Sabbath who can do well with very different line-ups. Now, I just hope Tom will leave, 'cos I see him as a very nice and decent bloke. To me, without Jeff (I dislike the man, but the musician is essential to the band) and Dave, Slayer is just done, adn that's sad news, as I love them.

It's pretty obvious that it's Kerry who's pulling the strings in the band now. According to Kerry, he plays all the guitars on Slayer albums, except Jeff's solos, for years. Even on songs Jeff wrote. He even plays bass when Araya's not in the studio or so.

I wouldn't be too surprised if they go QR route...
Tom, Jeff, Lombardo + guitarist - Slayer
Kerry + three hired guys - Kerry King's Slayer

The way I see it, the guy owns the name. I'm not that much interested in that financial issue beetween Kerry and Dave, but it looks as if Dave just receives a salary, or at least not the same percentage as Kerry. With the Bill Ward stuff and this, all my illusions are gone : all those wealthy guys are not even able to give their mates a fair share of their bands income. I'd like to know if this situation is common to many drummers, or if this is just a case that two drummers are involved.

As long as Araya stays in the band he is siding with King on these matters and makes him no better. As childish as it sounds I would like to see him leave just to fuck Kerry King over :p

The way I see it, the guy owns the name. I'm not that much interested in that financial issue beetween Kerry and Dave, but it looks as if Dave just receives a salary, or at least not the same percentage as Kerry. With the Bill Ward stuff and this, all my illusions are gone : all those wealthy guys are not even able to give their mates a fair share of their bands income. I'd like to know if this situation is common to many drummers, or if this is just a case that two drummers are involved.

I've seen that shit to other professional bands who I know personally so I'm not surprised. Though 90%-10%?? That's over the top.

As long as Araya stays in the band he is siding with King on these matters and makes him no better. As childish as it sounds I would like to see him leave just to fuck Kerry King over :p

Leaving the band would mean stopping his career, and maybe he just hopes the situation is gonna improve. Anyway, they can't afford to cancel this australian tour (the fees must be very high), so him doing that tour probably tells nothing on his actual position on the matter. I've always seen him as the normal guy in Slayer, alongside Dave. King looks really strange, and Hannemann's taste for nazi memorabilia and imagery makes me feel unconfortable.

Araya and Lombardo were in this together, except only Lombardo complained to King. I suppose they can't cancel the Australian tour now, but who knows who'll play in Slayer after it.

Leaving the band would mean stopping his career, and maybe he just hopes the situation is gonna improve. Anyway, they can't afford to cancel this australian tour (the fees must be very high), so him doing that tour probably tells nothing on his actual position on the matter. I've always seen him as the normal guy in Slayer, alongside Dave. King looks really strange, and Hannemann's taste for nazi memorabilia and imagery makes me feel unconfortable.

Yeah but if you don't look at where your band is at the moment and you only wanna push on for the $$ that is also wrong. Maybe it is just time to throw in the towel when you're not even half a band anymore...They are 2 guys in Slayer right now. I know what you mean though - They've got obligations that they can't just cancel....but if they don't care about who's in the band then it truly is just business over anything.

Gus Pynn (SACRIFICE): "Just read Dave Lombardo's press release. Kerry King is a douche. How long before Tom [Araya, bass/vocals] leaves? Man, some guys are just dickheads. So glad almost 26 years ago when they came knocking I said 'NO!!' I hope Tom leaves. Kerry will just replace him with some clone and take 90% of the gate which is the way he wants it. Sleep well, Kerry.

This reads more like, "Hey people, pay attention to me, Slayer wanted me but I turned them down. I'm a pretty tough guy, eh? I turned Slayer down! Can you believe it? Neither can I and I've hate myself ever since."

45680_505470359499235_491367371_n.jpg

Back