1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slayer

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by MFC, Sep 3, 2011.

1. MFC

MFC Trooper

I havn't seen a topic of Slayer, so i decided to make one.

What does others here think about Slayer?
    For me it is the best Trash Metal band ever!!! :D

Feel free to write anything you want about Slayer :)

2. Vap

Vap Ancient Mariner

Hell Awaits is the best song they have ever done.

3. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

They are my second favorite thrash band behind Anthrax. Yes, they are awesome. So awesome I named my cat Slayer.

4. MFC

MFC Trooper

I want to buy an album but i dont know what, anyone know which i should get?

5. Mosh

Mosh The years just pass like trains Staff Member

Reign in Blood
    South Of Heaven
    Seasons in the Abyss
    ^ These are all classic albums
    World Painted Blood (That's the new album)

6. MFC

MFC Trooper

Okay, thanks!

7. Vap

Vap Ancient Mariner

Am I the only one who thinks that The Antichrist is one of their best songs?

8. MFC

MFC Trooper

Havn't heard it yet, gonna do it now.[hr][/hr]I think Skeletons of Society is one of the best songs! :shred:

9. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Out of the Silent Planet

Asides from a few songs I think Slayer are incredibly boring and massively overrated. After seeing them live three times at festivals my stance has not altered. There has been no evolution in Slayer's sound since 'Reign in Blood' so every album has sounded pretty much the same as every other Slayer album. Influential they may be but in my opinion Testament are a much better Thrash band and the one Kreator album I've heard wipes the floor with anything Slayer have done.

10. Night Prowler

Night Prowler ɹǝlʍoɹԀ ʇɥƃᴉN Staff Member

Reign In Blood is the best thrash metal album ever.

11. MFC

MFC Trooper

I think most of the songs i have heard from them doesn't sound the same.

12. Feverdog

Feverdog Trooper

Just getting into slayer after dismissing them in my youth so far have got Reign in Blood,God Hates Us All and Christ Illusion and it's pretty good stuff.

13. Black Wizard

Listen to more then.

14. Albie

Albie Keeping an open eye on the Weeping Angels.

Agreed here. I love Slayer, but do find their reluctance to change a bit, well, stifling.

Now here is the difference. Kreator has changed. You simply cannot compare "Extreme Aggression" with "Endorama". The two are miles apart. That is why Kreator are, in my opinion, better than Slayer. Not by much, but better nonetheless.

15. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

I have seen them live 4 times (last time being the Divine Intervention Tour), they put on a hell of a show.  I bought the Vinyl Conflict set by them and will put an album on now and then.  I do not listen to them anywhere near as much as I used to, but enjoy them now and then.

16. Black Wizard

Every time I have seen them nothing has happened.

17. bearfan

bearfan Ancient Mariner

What do you mean?

18. Black Wizard

They just stood and played. It's ok if you're John Petrucci and have some super-technical prog riffs to play, but every Slayer song is the same so I would have liked them to do something to make their performance more interesting.

19. Dityn DJ James

Dityn DJ James A coma stole my name.

Well for me that award would go to Rust in Peace. Reign is an awesome but a lot of the songs kinda fall short, Raining Blood is one of the best thrash metal tracks though.

20. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

Reign in Blood is an excellent, excellent, amazing album. But there are a few thrash albums that I can think of that are better, such as Bonded by Blood by Exodus, Alice in Hell by Annihilator and Slayer's very own South of Heaven.