Random trivia

Given the "ages" of the relevant bands, i.e. when they started and the periods I associate them with, I'm very surprised that Fast Eddie is older than KK and the KISS guys. I wonder how old he was when he joined Motorhead? (I guess I could just look it up, but that would be cheating, right?!).

Don't look up birthdates! If you look up how old someone was when he joined a band, then that's indirect looking up his birthdate (or year) ;-).

Yes, the age when these musicians started their (professional) career, or when these bands released their first albums can certainly be misleading indeed.
Some guys were talented and started young, others joined the party at older age.

Here is the correct order. I was surprised that Glenn Tipton's age was underestimated so much. I guess some people did not see recent interviews. :)

9 January 1944 Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
14 April 1945 Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple/Rainbow)
25 October 1947 Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest)
12 November, 1947 "Buck Dharma" Roeser (Blue Öyster Cult)
19 February 1948 Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
31 August 1948 Rudolph Schenker (The Scorpions)
23 October 1949 (died: 9 July 2011) Michael Burston, better known as Würzel (Motörhead)
10 September 1950 Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
5 October 1950 "Fast" Eddie Clarke (Motörhead)
27 October 1951 K.K. Downing (Judas Priest)
27 April 1951 Ace Frehley (Kiss)
26 December 1951 Paul Quinn (Saxon)
20 January 1952 Paul Stanley (Kiss)
6 July 1952 Graham Oliver (Saxon)
27 August 1953 Alex Lifeson (Rush)

Lifeson is the youngest, while Rush is absolutely not the youngest band.

Which Queen albums feature more songs (co-)written by Brian May than Freddy Mercury?

- The albums have to be released in the period when Mercury was still alive.
- I am not taking extra/bonus tracks into consideration. Just the songs that have been on every release, since the beginning.

Don't look it up!

HINT: This happened only two times. So, we're looking for two albums!

Last edited:
News of the World is one. Don't know the other, but I'll guess The Game. May wrote the 3 best songs on that album, and I know Deacon wrote several as well. That leaves only a few opportunities for Mercury.

News of the World is correct! :ok:
Mercury wrote 3 songs (We Are the Champions, Get Down Make Love, My Melancholy Blues)
May wrote 4 songs (We Will Rock You, All Dead All Dead, Sleeping on the Sidewalk, It's Late)

The Game is not correct.
Mercury wrote 3 songs (Play the Game, Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Don't Try Suicide)
May wrote 3 songs (Dragon Attack, Sail Away Sweet Sister, Save Me)
(Deacon wrote 2, Taylor wrote 2)

One more album to go.

Last edited:
No. On Sheer Heart Attack there are 4 songs by May and 6 by Mercury.
For the rest, there is Stone Cold Crazy by all four members, plus 1 song by Taylor and 1 by Deacon.

Taking a total shot in the dark here and guessing Queen or Queen II? I seem to remember seeing more May credits on those, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure it's A Kind of Magic. That album was heavily discussed as having a Brian-dominance. And I know Freddie only wrote one song on his own on that one.
If that's not it, it has to be Flash Gordon.

First: to Mosh:

No.

On Queen there are 3 songs by May, plus 1 song by May & Tim Staffell. There are 5 by Mercury.
For the rest, there is 1 song by Taylor.

On Queen II there are 4 songs by May (first 4 songs on side 1) and 6 by Mercury (complete side two).
For the rest, there is 1 song by Taylor (last song of side 1).

I'm pretty sure it's A Kind of Magic. That album was heavily discussed as having a Brian-dominance. And I know Freddie only wrote one song on his own on that one.
This is a very good guess and in a way you could say that this answer is close to correct. However, read on.

On A Kind of Magic, May wrote 2 songs by himself (Who Wants to Live Forever & Gimme the Prize (Kurgan's Theme)), and Mercury wrote 1 song by himself (Princess of the Universe).
However, Mercury also wrote 2 songs with Deacon (Pain Is So Close to Pleasure & Friends Will Be Friends are credited as: Deacon, Mercury).
The rest: 1 song credited as Queen (Taylor), 2 more by Taylor and 1 by Deacon himself. So May may (haha!) have contributed the most to this album, but Mercury has written on more tracks than May.
If that's not it, it has to be Flash Gordon.
It is! Flash Gordon is 100% correct.

On this album there are 4 songs by Mercury. There are 6 by May. Plus there is 1 by Mercury, Howard Blake, 1 by May, Taylor and 1 by May, Blake.
For the rest, there are 3 by Taylor and 2 by Deacon.

So, News of the World and Flash Gordon have more songs with contributions from May. All other Queen albums released while Mercury was alive (haven't checked later released stuff) have more Mercury than May contributions.

Thanks for playing!

Last edited:
Which Queen albums feature more songs (co-)written by Brian May than Freddy Mercury?
- The albums have to be released in the period when Mercury was still alive.
- I am not taking extra/bonus tracks into consideration. Just the songs that have been on every release, since the beginning.

Don't look it up!
HINT: This happened only two times. So, we're looking for two albums!
Forostar, Yesterday at 6:04 PM
::)

My working knowledge of Queen is pretty poor, but the moment I saw you listening to it (& telling us, intentionally or otherwise, in respect to this question, that you were listening to it) I thought, that's probably the answer! :D

Yep! Reading about bands on wiki often helps me to delve deeper. At some point I got to the Flash Gordon album.

You know, I originally thought this thread was for the poster to impart random trivia. I hasten to add I'm incorrect on this point; I note the opening post starts with a question & this has always been the format.

Last edited:
What do Steve Harris and Alfred Hitchcock have in common? First hint: I do not mean their vision, leadership or popularity. ;-)

Back