Random trivia

Not the winner, but Buckethead currently has 11 years of releasing music every year with no signs of stopping.
YES!!!!

Status Quo it is! I even talked with Sixes about this band some weeks ago. :) The Quo released studio albums from 1968-1983, making their score: 16!

edit: I didn't notice it first but later I did. Congrats Vap!

1. Johnny Cash (Country): 1957-1988. 32 uninterrupted years of studio albums released!
2. Tangerine Dream (Electronic music): 1970-1992: 23 uninterrupted years of studio albums released!
3. Status Quo (Rock): 1968-1983. 16 uninterrupted years of studio albums released!
4. Jethro Tull (Rock): 1968-1980. 13 uninterrupted years of studio albums released!

Thanks for playing everyone. ;)
I know I totally missed the game & me mentioning Buckethead is no surprise, but since Mosh mentioned him...

Buckethead has released material every year since 2001; so that's now 13 uninterrupted years of studio album releases. Previously he had released albums in 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, & 1999. And this is solo material not bands he was/is in & or collaborations.

In numbers, he's released 79 (I make it) albums in that thirteen year period. Yes, his recent (2011 >) Pike Series accounts for most of this --but he was already releasing multiple albums every year for most of the 00's anyway.

Related trivia: He released a 13-album boxset in 2007; as well as three other albums that year.

Related trivia: back in the 90's you could pay him for an original album. It wasn't just a track, it was like half an hour of music. It was an album that only you got; everyone got something original. He only did it for a limited period & I doubt more than a handful of people took up the offer. Still...

Blue Öyster Cult - Astronomy
Correct!!
I know I totally missed the game & me mentioning Buckethead is no surprise, but since Mosh mentioned him...

Buckethead has released material every year since 2001; so that's now 13 uninterrupted years of studio album releases. Previously he had released albums in 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, & 1999. And this is solo material not bands he was/is in & or collaborations.

In numbers, he's released 79 (I make it) albums in that thirteen year period. Yes, his recent (2011 >) Pike Series accounts for most of this --but he was already releasing multiple albums every year for most of the 00's anyway.

Related trivia: He released a 13-album boxset in 2007; as well as three other albums that year.

Related trivia: back in the 90's you could pay him for an original album. It wasn't just a track, it was like half an hour of music. It was an album that only you got; everyone got something original. He only did it for a limited period & I doubt more than a handful of people took up the offer. Still...
That's a lot indeed Cried. In this specific game the question was about uninterrupted years since the first release. In this light, his score is 1 (1992).

In this specific game the question was about uninterrupted years since the first release. In this light, his score is 1 (1992).
Other bands he played in released albums in those other years though. So he's released material every year since 1992. That's 22 years, & would make him third I think.

...released under his own name.... :)
Hmm, I don't think that's quite fair. I mean, other than Anderson, Jethro Tull isn't the same group of people; it's a name of a shifting collective of people, as are most bands. Buckethead's "bands" are just him in bands, as opposed to his "solo" albums where he literally plays every instrument & nobody else is credited. I think these should all count. Most of his bands are just other vehicles for him to play some other type of music e.g. Death Cube K (six albums) is just an anagram of his name. Almost all the bands that are classified as non-solo projects (on Wiki for example) are just him & the same people anyway, just in different combinations i.e. Buckethead, Brain (on drums) + ___ + ___ , etc. Without him they don't exist; he didn't join them; he didn't leave them. They're essentially just different names for Buckethead. I think they're only classified like that in order to bring some semblance of order to his discography, which would otherwise just be one massive, massive list. Yes, he has done some work which definitely falls under the definition of collaboration e.g. Buckethead & Viggo Mortensen (11 albums); and an example of a band which clearly wouldn't count (under what I describe above) would be Guns N' Roses -- but the rest are all essentially Buckethead releases.

Tull didn't have a zillion of line-up changes from 1968 to 1980. Apart from the debut album, Martin Barre was there all the time. The first drummer played until 1971 and the next from 1971 til 1980. John Evan played keyboards for Jethro Tull from April 1970 to June 1980. The bass guitar, that department changed the most often, but this band certainly had a steady core.

I never said that the artists/bands in question should have exactly the same line-ups. However, usually it can be expected that when they keep the same name, the changes in the line-up are not as frequent as when people do collaborations (with different people) under different names.

When artists/bands use the same name they present a style, a sound, a name that generates expectations. I assume that Buckethead isn't using other names anymore or is he still doing this? And perhaps there are other reasons why names are different, or when I read "with Buckethead". That could mean that he is not the main dude, not responsible for (the bulk of) the songwriting. "Just" a guest, or a sideman.

Releasing albums under the same name, for years in a row, can be seen as a more difficult (thus imo bigger) achievement than doing albums under different names. When you do stuff under different names, it's a new start every time. It's a less stable, less constant achievement. It's a more flexible way of making music. This absolutely does not mean that I have no respect for such a way of working. Hell, I wish I had released one full album!
I am just trying to explain the difference, in my point of view.

I would really like to check the works (and names and line-ups, and the role of his contributions) of Buckethead in more detail. His activity is quite something.

EDIT:
Focusing on the year 1993 I am doubting about this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octave_of_the_Holy_Innocents

It says "with Buckethead" which suggests that Hellborg is the main dude, so it does not sound as an equal collaboration, it doesn't sound like a Buckethead product. If comma's or the words "and" are used in between the names of the musicians, it would be easier. I admit that this is still different than just Hellborg. So it should not easily be discarded.

Even if we would count this, then we go to 1995 and there I only have found albums on which he plays, and on some of them not even on all songs (e.g. the soundtracks: just on a few). He is not the main dude, nor has he written (the bulk of) the music. So -if I have judged well-, when I am strict his score is still 1, but at most, his score is 3. 1992, 1993 and 1994.

Last edited:
Okay, okay; 1993 & 1995 are a problem! :p
(You need to change the rules though & get rid of this "from their first release" nonsense! :D)

The Hellborg/Buckethead/Strieve release is error-strewn on Wiki. It says 1993 in the discography, but then (in the album pg.) states it was only recorded in 1993 & released in 1995. I think it was released in 1993 though, as there are reviews from late 1992 available online. It's in no way just a Hellborg release though. I know in 1993, when it came out, the cover said "Hellborg with..." --but Buckethead was pretty unknown then. When it was re-released it stated "Hellborg - Buckethead - Shrieve", which I think reflects the actual status of the group i.e. equals. As far as I know all three wrote all the tracks on it. Still, I know where you're coming from.

However, you're probably right; I don't think he released anything in 1995.

But, with some of his other "bands", I just wanted to make clear that they are essentially totally Buckethead. Death Cube K was simply made up so he could get round contract difficulties with (?) Sony, I think. And if you look at the 00's --yes, all these projects were going alongside his "solo" releases, they're not just things from the past; although he hasn't, bar one "regular" album release, done much in last few years except his Pike Series. But that's a recent phenomenon.
I would really like to check the works (and names and line-ups, and the role of his contributions) of Buckethead in more detail. His activity is quite something.
Honestly Foro, if you look at the detail, loads of the side-projects are just the same guys e.g. Brain, Travis Dickerson, Bill Laswell, etc. Yes, Laswell's projects really are just him getting Buckethead in to his projects. But if Buckethead ever uses a real drummer, for example, it's almost always Brian "Brain" Mantia (ex-Primus, etc). The contributors/collaborations seem numerous; but aren't in reality. And loads of them centre around Buckethead, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Age / metal / guitarist

Age doesn't have to be important in our favourite genre. As long as good music and performances are produced! Still, I'd like to zoom in on the age aspect, to see if you can estimate how old people are.

Looking at the following people, they can be seen as old metal guitarists (I know the term metal is debatable, and some of the bands they've played in are not typical metal, still they have been (or one or more of their albums) labelled at such, at some point. There are way more people, that I left out, but I didn't want to make this too complicated (so no offense to people who are e.g. into The Who, Queen, AC/DC or Thin Lizzy). It is already very difficult, I think.
Besides, this is not about finding out who is the oldest metal guitarist. I just want you to take a look at "a" selection. The following list:

In last name alphabetical order we have these 15 men:

Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple/Rainbow)
Michael Burston, better known as Würzel (Motörhead)

"Fast" Eddie Clarke (Motörhead)
K.K. Downing (Judas Priest)
Ace Frehley (Kiss)
Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
Alex Lifeson (Rush)

Graham Oliver (Saxon)
Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
Paul Quinn (Saxon)
"Buck Dharma" Roeser (Blue Öyster Cult)
Rudolph Schenker (The Scorpions)
Paul Stanley (Kiss)
Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest)

Questions:

1 (main question). Put these names in order from oldest to youngest!
I don't expect anyone to do this perfect, but I want to see who gets closest to the correct answer!

If you think this is a rather big task (or not: it's for everybody!), you can also try (one or more of) these questions:

2. Which three people from this list are the oldest? (you may also guess the two oldest if you like)
If possible, guess the order as well, as in question 1.

3. Which three people from this list are the youngest? (you may also guess the two youngest if you like)
If possible, guess the order as well, as in question 1.

4. Who is the oldest from this list?

5. Who is the youngest from this list?

Don't look up birth dates! Just guess!

Thanks for trying! :)

Last edited:
The only standard I have to guess by is the chronology of the bands. I'll guess the oldest is Page, and the next two are Blackmore and Iommi. However, I have a nagging memory that Schencker and Buck Dharma were both older than average when their bands hit big, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see one of them up there.

I'd guess the four youngest as the Motorhead and Saxon guys... just for a random specific guess, I'll say Fast Eddie as the youngest, then the two Saxon guys.

I'll give some thought to ranking the whole list. I think Ace is older than Paul, and KK older than Glenn, but I'm not sure about putting it all together.

Alright!

I am doubting a bit what I shall do now. Normally with these kind of questions in this topic, I answer immediately what someone got right and what wrong (without always giving away too much by correcting it). I tend to do this again, so that you (and others) have a chance to make a better start when you rank the whole list. But since no else responded yet, I can also wait a bit and see if others will give it a first try.

Last edited:
Here's my full list guess, old to young.

Jimmy Page
Ritchie Blackmore
Tony Iommi
Rudolf Schenker
Buck Dharma
Ace Frehley
KK Downing
Joe Perry
Paul Stanley
Alex Lifeson
Glenn Tipton
Wurzel
Paul Quinn
Graham Oliver
Fast Eddie Clarke

First, I'll focus on the answers you gave to questions 2-5. After that we'll get to the list.

Question 2:
Your number one is correct! Jimmy Page is the oldest!
Your number two is also correct! Ritchie Blackmore is the one but oldest!
Your number three is not correct. Even though Sabbath is one of the oldest bands represented by people in the list, Tony Iommi is not one of the oldest three guys.

Question 3:
From the youngest three you mentioned, only Graham Oliver is correct. And in fact, you also mentioned the correct spot! He is the one but youngest of the group. Paul Quinn and Fast Eddie Clarke are not among the three youngest.

Question 4:
Correct, see question 2.

Question 5:
Not correct, see question 3.

Now to the list ...

Question 1
:
All guesses for positions 4-12 were wrong, apart from Joe Perry. He comes in at nr. 8!

SinisterMinisterX (first player, first guess):
01. Jimmy Page
02. Ritchie Blackmore

03. Tony Iommi
- - - - - - -

04. Rudolf Schenker
05. Buck Dharma
06. Ace Frehley
07. KK Downing

08. Joe Perry
09. Paul Stanley
10. Alex Lifeson
11. Glenn Tipton
12. Wurzel

- - - - - - -
13. Paul Quinn
14. Graham Oliver
15. Fast Eddie Clarke

To you but also other people, feel free to keep guessing in next posts!
(all questions are still open (for improvements) apart from question 4 which has already been guessed correctly by SMX)

4 out of 15, I'll take it.

I'll bet if you look up birthdays (I still haven't), the bulk of the 4-12 positions are in a 5-year range in the early 50s. Very tough to guess.

Four from the nine 4-12 positions were born earlier than than early fifties. Almost half of it. Still tough indeed. I'll give hints in the coming days.
Plus something about a dead man (which is not necessarily a hint, but it should be addressed).

Last edited:
One of these guys is not alive anymore. When I selected him, I didn't see that as a problem, because I was especially focusing on birth dates.
But it shouldn't lead to any confusion in this game. So:
In this game, just act as if he's still be alive! :)

Now a few hints:
1) One of the Kiss guys is in the "youngest"-three group.
2) These guitarists are the 5 oldest behind Page and Blackmore:

Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
"Buck Dharma" Roeser (Blue Öyster Cult)

Which of these (we know it's not Iommi), is the oldest and comes in as third oldest of the whole group (question 2)?

1. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
  2. Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple/Rainbow)
  3. "Buck Dharma" Roeser (Blue Öyster Cult)
  4. Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
  5. Rudolph Schenker (The Scorpions)
  6. Michael Burston, better known as Würzel (Motörhead)
  7. Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest)
  8. Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
  9. "Fast" Eddie Clarke (Motörhead)
  10. K.K. Downing (Judas Priest)
  11. Ace Frehley (Kiss)
  12. Graham Oliver (Saxon)
  13. Paul Stanley (Kiss)
  14. Alex Lifeson (Rush)
  15. Paul Quinn (Saxon)

Hiya @2Mins nice to see someone else trying as well!

You guessed 9, 10, 11 and 13 right!

2Mins (second player, first guess):
01. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
02. Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple/Rainbow)

03. "Buck Dharma" Roeser (Blue Öyster Cult)
- - - - - - -

04. Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath)
05. Rudolph Schenker (The Scorpions)
06. Michael Burston, better known as Würzel (Motörhead)
07. Glenn Tipton (Judas Priest)

08. Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
09. "Fast" Eddie Clarke (Motörhead)
11. Ace Frehley (Kiss)

12. Graham Oliver (Saxon)
- - - - - - -
13. Paul Stanley (Kiss)
14. Alex Lifeson (Rush)
15. Paul Quinn (Saxon)

Here the list as we know it:

01. Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin)
02. Richie Blackmore (Deep Purple/Rainbow)
03. ...
- - - - - - -
04. ...
05. ...
06. ...
07. ...
08. Joe Perry (Aerosmith)
09. "Fast" Eddie Clarke (Motörhead)
11. Ace Frehley (Kiss)
12. ...
- - - - - - -
13. Paul Stanley (Kiss)
14. Graham Oliver (Saxon)
15. ...

Kiss members: complete! And apart from the Cult and the Scorpions, we've got every band represented now. More than half of the list is guessed, 7 names to go.

Looks like the oldy department is quite tough. Who'd be number 3? It is isn't Tony Iommi, it isn't "Buck Dharma" Roeser. That leaves:

And who would be the youngest of all these musicians? The correct answer to that question (5) would also solve question 3.

Let's see how we go from here. If needed, I'll be back with hints later.

Last edited:
Back