Random trivia

I expect most of them to sound the same. Still it makes me wonder if that really is so.

How about Kiss?
74-85 if you count the four solo albums.
I indeed thought of them but skipped the solo albums on purpose. If we would still count them, then they would end high but still would be beaten by Jethro Tull and that other band I hope you guys will guess. :)

I guess Status Quo with 16 albums in 68-83 (I edited it to my previous post but I don't know if you noticed).

With 111 albums in nine years I don't except most of the albums to be very good.

For your question I'm going to answer Status Quo.
YES!!!!

Status Quo it is! I even talked with Sixes about this band some weeks ago. :) The Quo released studio albums from 1968-1983, making their score: 16!

edit: I didn't notice it first but later I did. Congrats Vap!

1. Johnny Cash (Country): 1957-1988. 32 uninterrupted years of studio albums released!
2. Tangerine Dream (Electronic music): 1970-1992: 23 uninterrupted years of studio albums released!
3. Status Quo (Rock): 1968-1983. 16 uninterrupted years of studio albums released!
4. Jethro Tull (Rock): 1968-1980. 13 uninterrupted years of studio albums released!

Thanks for playing everyone. ;)

I see what you mean Foro. Metallica lists the album as a "collaboration" on their own site. The difference you could say is that June Carter was Cash's wife and she toured with him (She did the San Quentin, Folsom Prison shows among many. At every show they would do a segment where she was invited up to the stage and introduced and they'd do 3-4 songs with her singing with Cash)) before they did that album Carry in On she had already sung on a few singles of his and she would continue to return on his albums doing a track or two from time to time. So she is very much part of the "Cash family" if you will..part of the band.

I would say for Country it is fairly "normal" to work that way, country artists as well as jazz artists are some of the hardest working musicians, always touring or recording...it is what they do (at least it used to) For example a quick glance at Waylon Jennings also seems to suggest an unbroken chain of album from 1964 - 87

I expect most of them to sound the same. Still it makes me wonder if that really is so.
Same, I find artists who release music at such a rapid pace tend to opt for quantity over quality. :down: Even Zappa reached a point toward the end of his career when some albums seemed like he was releasing new material for the sake of having something out there.

I indeed thought of them but skipped the solo albums on purpose. If we would still count them, then they would end high but still would be beaten by Jethro Tull and that other band I hope you guys will guess. :)
I'm never quite sure how to count the solo albums. They were kinda released as Kiss albums and songs were played live on the Dynasty tour and New York Groove became a regular song with Ace in the band. But they're still solo albums.

@Mosh and Sixes: I could count it but then the Metallica and Lou Reed album should also be counted in Metallica's own discography (I doubt if Metallica fans would do that and it's also not on their "own" list on wiki).
I'd count that as a Metallica album as well. I see the Johnny Cash album in the same way I'd see something like Krupa and Rich, they should be part of both artists core discography.

Something else: I wonder if there are more country artists who recorded a few dozen of albums, year after year. I didn't leave out Jazz for nothing, but maybe Country artists are as productive as Jazz artists?
This is a guess, but I think music was released at a greater pace in the early 20th century. By the 50's and 60's this started to slow down, and that's why rock artists don't have as many albums as those from the Jazz, Country etc scene.

I wouldn't necessarily say it becomes quantity over quantity, but they lose uniqueness (they can all be good, just all very similar).

People like Johnny Cash, even though he of course had backing musicians, he was basically a solo artist and especially with his wife having been on tour with him he would never stop.. he had no reason to. Whereas people like Maiden etc, they have to balance getting all 6 together and all 6 having families they needed to spend time with etc, so it reduced things a lot.

I wouldn't necessarily say it becomes quantity over quantity, but they lose uniqueness (they can all be good, just all very similar).

Musically they are very similar yes. But the thing with country and folk singer/songwriter stuff (like Cash, Dylan etc) is that storytelling is the driving force and the music itself takes secondary role...So you listen for the different stories and how the artists crafts and how he sings his lyrics and the story he tells..When you look at it like that the Cash albums are not THAT similar..although in country of course there is A LOT of recurrent themes.

@Night Prowler: that's amazing! Have you ever heard one or more Senmuth albums? I wonder if you can recommend me one. Is it even possible to point out some of his most famous ones, when we're talking about such mindboggling numbers?
Never listened to his music, I found out about him while reading stats on Encyclopaedia Metallum :p If you're really interested, it seems all his albums are free to download: http://www.senmuth.com/

Even Zappa reached a point toward the end of his career when some albums seemed like he was releasing new material for the sake of having something out there.

I have the feeling that some of his later more "commercial" records were at least partly released to subsidize his classical projects.

I have the feeling that some of his later more "commercial" records were at least partly released to subsidize his classical projects.
I have the same feeling. In fact he might've explicitly said so somewhere down the line, maybe in his book. But I stand by what I said, his live albums were still good though.

Might have talked about this before but that must have been a millennium ago:

From which Maiden song was the instrumental mid-section of this Amorphis oldie derived?

@CriedWhenBrucieLeft: since we were talking about riffs, melodies, and even Maiden(!), you can have the first guess if you're quick enough. :--)

I have another one which is way more difficult since the riff did not come from a Maiden song. I know someone @mckindog who might know this since he's into this band I am looking for, but everyone else can guess as well of course.

From which song was the chorus riff (starts at 1.34) in this Arch Enemy song derived?

Back